Thread: Barnes triple shocks or Nosler accubonds

Default Barnes triple shocks or Nosler accubonds

I'm interested to hear some input on the better of these two bullets for use on Brown Bear. The firearm will be a .300 win. mag. I currently use accubonds and I'm very pleased with their accuracy but I've heard great things about weight retention of the Barnes X bullets.

Well jager, you will not likely get a shortage of opinions on this site about for this question

I have not shot bears with TSX's, infact, I haven't shot anything with TSX's... but... any bullet that retains 100% of it's mass would be my first pick for a job that requires good penetration. JM $.02 and now I'll get out of the way for the bear hunters to speak up

Default I only use tsx's

in my rifles. I have killed the "gamut" of animals with them. Not saying they kill better, but their consistence performance and accuracy in my rifles make them #1 in my book.

in my past .300 win mag I have used specifically Barnes or Swifts. The last big boar I have taken out was with the 180 grn. XLC. Busted the shoulder, took out the lungs, meat and hair-evidence from impact was on the ground and was quite impressive-so was the bear. Sold the rifle and now keep on hand a rather different .30 mag-a .30-338 with no field results as of yet and that is in the last 3 yrs. or so keeping it. Lots of other calibers frequently being used.

just my .02

My experience is limited to the original Barnes X bullets in 338 WM 225 grain weight. I've taken one brown bear and assisted in taking two others plus one interior grizzly with em. They worked great. I would expect similar performance from the TSX or TTSX bullets. I have no experience with the Accubonds so I can't offer you any other info there.

Default TSX

IMO, a successful stalk to get within reasonable shooting distances (I prefer inside 100 yards with brown bears) and shot placement are the two biggest factors for brown bear success...and there are a bazillion things that can and do go wrong with just those two factors. On the other hand, the potential for bullet failure is a variable that I can manage or at least minimize before I even set foot in the field...think controlled expansion, penetration and structural integrity.

I have no doubt that an Accubond will kill a brown bear, but I won't use one. I killed my first brown bear nearly twenty years ago with three Core-lokts at 40 yards (338 WM, 225grn)...even though the first bullet absolutely blew-up when it hit perfectly centered on the chest as the bear was running towards me. That first shot flipped the bear 180 backwards, and then I made two fast follow-up shots to put it down.

That said, I would never use Core-lokts again...why risk it? I have used an X or TSX for the three brown bears that I have taken and helped others take since then, and I have never experienced bullet failure in any way, shape or form. As I said earlier, bullet choice is one variable that I CAN at least manage, and I trust X's...period.

Sorry to make such a long post when I could have just simply said, "I choose the TSX." Good luck on your hunt, sir. Bear hunting is the very best. There are others here with more experience than me, lets see what they say.

Doc

Barnes are a stronger bullent than the accubonds. I have shot both and frequently use accubonds on softskinned critters-caribou, sheep, deer. But bear and moose are better handled with barnes- IMO. I have not tried the Nosler E-tips but believe they should work as well as the barnes. J.