Thread: Questions on rifle casings

Default Questions on rifle casings

What is the purpose of nickel plating on rifle cases?
    Are nickel plated cases stronger than plain brass?
    Do nickel plated cases require less lube when sizing?
    Does nickel plating reduce case stretch?
    Can nickel platedv cases be crimped the same as regular brass?

JWB

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Just means the manufacture can charge you more for them. I never had any use for nickel cases. The nickel plating flakes off.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post

JWB
    1. To make them shiney.
    2. No, same strength.
    3. No, always use lube or they will stick in the die.
    4. No.
    5. Yes they are crimped and sized and loaded just as brass.

As Allen said people feel better about paying more $$ for nickel cases.
    I don't like them, the plating comes off, especially around the neck and looks ugly.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have also heard that the plating can mess up the reloading dies. I'm not sure if this happens or is just speculation, but I don't buy them thinking I will use them for reloading. Has anyone had problems reloading them and having the plating affect their dies?

Default Nickel Cases...

Tony,

I have heard that they can damage dies also, but I don't really buy this. Dies are pretty hard. (If they are nickel and not chrome, the plating is not as hard as the dies.) I have loaded them as new brass many times and everything is done the same as standard brass. I make ammo for other folks and sometimes they bring nickel cases and they size, trim and seat just fine. I have also loaded them two or three times but I give Nickel cases away quite often. I've seen them flake off but couldn't say that they would harm dies. The flakes get between the dies and the case when resizing and are pressed into the case and it looks like it could weaken the case, so at that point I toss them.

They sure are pretty in the big calibers though. Some folks like that, and they are easier to find in the long grass or in the sand.

I had a shoot out with an African PH (he was on my side) and an old she lion that took more 300 grain 375 bullets than either of us thought she should. After it was over and we got the old gal put down, I'm down on the ground lookin' for my brass. (A handloader never wastes brass) The PH said, "Hell, no need to be prayin' now, it's all over." I replied, "I wasn't worried about the cat, I've lost a piece of brass!" Nickeled cases shine like a diamond in a goats butt. So there is an upside to everything.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up Nickle Cases

I have used Nickle Plated Cases for years in my handloads..........I suggest you stick with Federal or Winchester.........the bulk Midway nickle cases have flaked with me.

use a good chamfer tool like Lyman VLD or RCBS VLD and you can seat the bullets real good.

a little dry lube inside the case neck can help in resizing

Proably the reason I use them is they stay cleaner than normal brass cases.....plus they look good!
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post

JWB
    1. So they don't corrode or tarnish as rapidly as standard brass. Brass has copper.
    2. Yes, they are stronger. But not significantly so.
    3. Nickel-plated brass requires the same lubrication as standard brass.
    4. No.
    5. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    I have also heard that the plating can mess up the reloading dies. I'm not sure if this happens or is just speculation, but I don't buy them thinking I will use them for reloading. Has anyone had problems reloading them and having the plating affect their dies?
    No. The reason why dies get scratched is by the introduction of dust, sand, etc in the reloading process. The die is made of steel, which in turn is much harder than nickel or brass. However, a small piece of brass, nickel, etc. can scratch, dent, or groove the cases. If you ask the question to die manufacturers, they will tell you what scratches dies and how to prevent the problem. Some manufacturers have the information at their web sites, and none agree that nickel-plated brass does such thing.

If any nickel separates from the case, it's usually when the cases are trimmed. It's also possible for a brass manufacturer to mess-up cases, I imagine. It's a good idea to always clean the cases prior to sizing, and well as after trimming. If you see flakes in a bag of brass, then i would suspect some problem with it.

One can get nickel to flake-off, however. For example, this may be the case if one pinches or flattens a nickel-plated case with a plier, but not from reloading since the brass is not folded by the die.

I have used nickel-plated brass for a long time without any problem. I just save the brass from factory ammo, since nickel-plated brass is more expensive than regular brass.