Thread: Heating soil in a cold frame..

Cool Heating soil in a cold frame..

In this cold climate, I have a 4x7 cold frame, and beside it a compost box...4x4x4'.I have several pcs of poly pipe coiled in my soil for seedlings, and the poly runs into my compost box, then coiled several times in the bottom.This poly makes a continuous loop.The heat from the compost which I have to turn every few days, actually get pumped through the cold frame by Thermal syphon.This may give some folks several weeks jump on the growing season.GR

is there any fluid in the poly?

Default Poly...

Sorry about that...yes, I filled the poly with water and sealed the end.Thanks for the correction.Remember...a continuous loop.1/4" poly is 20 bucks a 100 ft.Not bad.GR

I really like the concept, but I wouldn't think you'd get much flow through 1/4"poly. Just try blowing through any length over 10ft...very difficult. If you're still monitoring this post, how has it worked for you? Some of the thermal siphons I've seen are fairly large diameter and short run. I suppose an alternative would be to use 1/2" or larger black poly tubing, fill it with a combo of nontox antifreeze and water (if one lives in the colder climes), and add and inline magnetic drive pump, some don't use much power to operate (60watt or less). I've used a similar set-up to capture sunlight [heat] and also as a cold sink [for chilling].