Thread: looking for a new caliber...

Default looking for a new caliber...

Ok well i have been shooting a ruger 300 for the past few years with good sucess, but now i am looking to upgrade to a larger caliber. I have been looking at the 325 WSM, but i am wondering how it compares to the good ole 338 and 375H&H. Anyone out there have any particular experience with all 3 of those calibers and what is most efficient for brown/black bear and moose also. I am mainly looking for the one caliber that can handle the toughest shooting situations (charges) up to the nice well placed 200+ yard shots. Any help would make the decision a little bit easier. Thanks to everyone that chimes in.

Quote Originally Posted by MDwhatley View Post
    Ok well i have been shooting a ruger 300 for the past few years with good sucess, but now i am looking to upgrade to a larger caliber. I have been looking at the 325 WSM, but i am wondering how it compares to the good ole 338 and 375H&H. Anyone out there have any particular experience with all 3 of those calibers and what is most efficient for brown/black bear and moose also. I am mainly looking for the one caliber that can handle the toughest shooting situations (charges) up to the nice well placed 200+ yard shots. Any help would make the decision a little bit easier. Thanks to everyone that chimes in.
    I'll cast my vote for either the 375 or one of the 416's. When the chips are down, they're proven performers to well beyond your 200 yard line. In my experience, when you've got a 375 in the house, the 338's tend to come and go. I haven't got around to the 325 yet, because with a 375 (actually two) in the rack, I just don't need the 338 or the 325. By the same token, those 375's have kept me from picking up a 416. Just a nice, all around heavy mag with lots of long range capabilities.

375 H&H hands down for me. Don't get me wrong as the 338 has a killing ability that is hard to put down on paper and in real life is off the charts...it is that good. The recoil for me was a bit much. The 375 H&H as previously stated in other posts, kept me from going to something in between a 30 cal and the 375 like you are considering. I have a rule for my rifle purchases, the diameter of the round must be a difference of at least 15% or greater for me to consider it for purchase. This is the rule I have for rifles I will keep and not trade.

I could shoot a 375 all day and not be bothered by recoil as it is more of a shove than a punch. Find a friend who has either and shoot them. You can then pick which one you like best. As a friend of mine said regarding big bores, "Make a hole big enough to let the hot blood out and the cold air in." A 375 H&H has been doing that for many years and does it well in Africa as well as Alaska.

Matt M

Default 325

While the 325 WSM shows good performance on paper, it's forte is with light for caliber bullets. Being a short action "MAGNUM" it operates with light weight bullets at extreme higher pressures. Using a heavier/ longer bullet requires it be seated deeper thus reduceing case capacity and velocity. With the same weight/style bullets it shows no power increase over the 300/ 338Win Mag which uses cheaper and more available ammo @ lower pressures. NOR is recoil going to vary much with the 3 rounds mentioned using the same weight/style of bullets, in like style/weight firearms. It's just about the same as your current 300 WM in power with the same weight bullets, not much of an upgrade here; unless you JUST WANT ONE.
    Both my 300 & 338 Win Mags produce very good accuracy and are good performers. Would I want/buy a 325 WSM, NO ! I also have a 416 Taylor.
    I'm sure some outdoorsmen think the 325 WSM is the best thing since sliced bread; I'll eat old fashioned biscuits.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

the word "efficient" is a good one. I have 4 .33 variants in my home and can say without a doubt they are that. Bullet selection is very good. Penetration is very good ....as good as the .375 calibers. My only .375 caliber was the .375 RUM......ever hear too much of a good thing? Well it was for me but a darn good grizz gun! I bought it for the big grizzlies and boy it works good, would of kept it if it was the Winchester but alas....Remingtons don't last long in my home. For moose and blackies it was too much. I'd opt for a .338 win. mag. as the all exclusive wonder. Recoil is subjective.

Default .325

.325 is pure hype and about as useful as the new .338 . Hang on for the new Ruger 416 .

The 338 winmag is very good but you have a 300 so I would also go with the 375H&H as its great at short range and very good at longer range 200 to 300 yards.

I never understood the need for the 325. You can't go wrong with either the 338 or 375 in Alaska. I personally prefer the 375H&H. Mine has been at my side every fall for many years up here. I suspect that if you get one, you'll be glad that you did.

Default One of each....

I am a .338 Win. Mag. guy. If I had a .300 and used it a lot a .375 would be a good step up. I like the old .375 H&H and have owned 4 of them and still have not shot any thing with one. I do not believe any caliber has a better reputation on brown bear and some of the African stuff then the .375 H&H. Although brown bear calibers keep getting bigger and bigger I don't think the bears are. Still, if I was a brown bear guide a .416 Rem. Mag. would look good. I use my .338 and 250 grain bullets for every thing.

9.3x62mm Mauser in a CZ?

I would never discourage anyone from buying a new rifle. The 325 isn't anything outstanding but it has good ballistics and very well suited for a general duty rifle. I would prefer more for the big bears and less for deer/caribou size but it certainly will work for all with good bullets. Bullet from 180 grain to 220 grain in varying degrees of toughness will make an adequate arsenal. I think I would agree with the comaparison of the 300 mag power level. There is a slighly bigger bullet at slightly less velocity so about the same. Another way to look at it would be to say it will do everything the 300 mag can do, with some minor exceptions. It is very useful ballistics and I have often recommended the caliber, 325 WSM, for a one and only rifle in a lighter package. It is not and cannot be a 338 Winchester mag but recoil is less too and can be had in a compact rifle. A true step up from the 300 mag won't be the 325, the 338 or the 375 will be.

I have a 338 WSM (with a different name) and it will extend the 338-06 by about 150 fps or 20 grains of bullet weight, and that also is very useful ballistics. The comments I read about that caliber that never was is pure speculation. You must shoot it to know it and I do. My 338 is on an MRC action but I made the mistake of letting the Gunsmith size the barrel and it is too heavy for such a small caliber, weighing more than my recently purchased old Sako 338 Mag and they are heavy.

The 325 WSM is a good caliber and it cleverly fills a ballistic niche that wasn't there.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Unhappy Professor Murphy!

...my friend & mentor, choosing the 325wsm over the grand old 375H&H for Alaska...say it ain't so.

I know that the 325wsm has sexy ballistics, and it is BY FAR a more efficient cartridge (especially comparing it to a closer sibling...the 8mm Remington Magnum). However, no 8mm has ever caught on over here, and it kind of shows by the historically restricted range of bullet selection. I thought it was DOA when it first came out in 2004, although I do know that some people like it.

I suppose the fact that the shorter COL of the 325wsm allows for chambering in a shorter action and thus LIGHTER rifle could be a selling point for those of advancing age. Is that it?