Thread: Blaze King pipe, 6" or 8"?

Northern Rockies

Default Blaze King pipe, 6" or 8"?

A friend has a Blaze King stove that has had rapid creosote buildup problems (and a chimney fire) in the recent -35 to -50 cold, this with very recent cleaning. Someone suggested that reducing the 8" stove pipe to 6" may help move the smoke out faster and reduce the creosote buildup. Anyone know about this firsthand?

Central peninsula, between the K-rivers

Default Yes!

I know about this first hand! You will only restrict the smoke further, creating greater creosote problems (unless you keep the stove burning hotter, with lots of intake, which makes your wood burn quicker).

Your friend is either...
    a.) burning the stove with too little air (therefore colder);
    b.) has really green wood with too much moisture yet in it.

I'm betting b. is the case.

Always use the recommended stove pipe diameter.

A 6" diameter stack is almost half as big in terms of volume as an 8". Hence, you will limit the amount of air the fire can draw and potentially overheat the unit. I'm not familiar with wood burning stoves, but I'd assume the combustion is similar to that of a boiler.

How do you guys get a fresh air draw for your cabins with it being -50 outside? We sometimes use these stacked tube designs that pulls the incoming air from around the exhaust stack which in turn preheats the incoming air.

Leavenworth Wa.

Default 6" pipe....

I heat my 475 sq ft cabin with a 6" pipe,burn SEASONED wood, and clean faithfully every 60 days, as I have no fire protection, and the amount of creasote build up is enough to make me glad I did, but not enough to pose a fire hazard.Any time you use an airtight, you will get a buildup.Clean often.GR

North Pole

If his stove was designed for 8" pipe, that is what he should use. If he hasn't done it already, installing an outside air kit might help the stove the draw better and perhaps reduce creosote build up. If he is using green wood, then there isn't much he can do.

Default stove problems

I was in this business for some 15yrs, if the stove says 8'' you need to stay with that as per the NFPA 211 standard. If the stove has a 6'' flue collor then you can go to 8'' but not 8'' to 6''
    This sounds like user error not wanting to burn hot enough or wanting that long burn time. If you damper down too much the stove and flue will get cold, under 500 degree is consittered cold. If the the stove has a catalitic converter and you damper down it gets worse faster. You have to have the stove at 500 degree before you can in-gage the cat as per the manufacturer.
    Green or wet wood will get you ever time and then if you damper down well do the math on that. What is worse is the second or third degee cresote or black rosin that forms in the flue. A brush will not alway remove it on cleaning and that is the stuff that chimney fires are made from.
    I hope this helps some T

Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam