Thread: Good Guide Services

Default Good Guide Services

Hey Guys;
    I am looking to return to Alaska for a second summer and work hard. I would like to work for an outfitter/guide service who is well established, and well respected among the community. I want to work for an outfitter who is loyal to his guides and clients.

My summer of 2007 was spent on the Kenai. I enjoyed taking care of my clients every day and getting them into the fish of a lifetime. When I was guiding I was happy, and having the time of my life chasing huge kings. However, I was completly miserable while on shore because of the guy I worked for. I want to work for an outfitter/guide who is normally pretty busy throughout the summer.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations for me? Or, a place that you use to work where you enjoyed working? I totally understand guiding is a very difficult job and some stuff needs to be done that you don't want to do. However, I also want to come out to Alaska and enjoy being up there.

Feel free to PM me!

Take care guys!

Is there no good guide service out there that people have enjoyed working at?

Chances are that those who treat their employees good already have a bunch of folks in the pipeline. Gonna be tough to get a decent job this year for sure. Good luck.

My advice is to try to get a hold of other guides and see what they have to say about management, also how long their guides have worked for them, high turnover usually means poor management.

I've heard good things about Goodnews River Lodge, and Katmai Lodge looks like it would be a decent place to work if you didn't mind fishing the kenai.

Again good luck.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

On the "down side" I have heard that bookings are WAY down so far this year for several guide companies and tourist type operations. I have a feeling that the economy is going to make it even tougher to pay the bills guiding this year. Hope you find something that works for you. There are some good one's out there.

[quote=ak_powder_monkey;415245]
    I've heard good things about Goodnews River Lodge, and Katmai Lodge looks like it would be a decent place to work if you didn't mind fishing the kenai.

When did they move Katmai Lodge from the Branch River to the Kenai?? I used to fish over there and saw the lodge and their boats were all over the Branch and the Alagnik but have never seen them on the Kenai.

I used to make me very hungry to be down wind of their guides when they anchored up for lunch and put hamburgers on the Hibachi for their clients.

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    When did they move Katmai Lodge from the Branch River to the Kenai?? I used to fish over there and saw the lodge and their boats were all over the Branch and the Alagnik but have never seen them on the Kenai.

I used to make me very hungry to be down wind of their guides when they anchored up for lunch and put hamburgers on the Hibachi for their clients.
    Never moved, don't know any guides on the kenai so I offered those two out of town options... Yea their food is good, I'm happy F&G decides to store our boats there cause they like to feed us leftovers, mmmmmm
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I had that problem last year. I thought I would give it a shot this year. It's better then working in door somewhere I don't want to be.

I think Ak was talking about me working on the Kenai. I worked on that river the summer of 2007. I'm looking into Goodnews, and the Katmai since I have friends that work at both places.

Was hoping to hear some other opinions out there.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by chromage View Post
    Hey Guys;
    I am looking to return to Alaska for a second summer and work hard. I would like to work for an outfitter/guide service who is well established, and well respected among the community. I want to work for an outfitter who is loyal to his guides and clients.

My summer of 2007 was spent on the Kenai. I enjoyed taking care of my clients every day and getting them into the fish of a lifetime. When I was guiding I was happy, and having the time of my life chasing huge kings. However, I was completly miserable while on shore because of the guy I worked for. I want to work for an outfitter/guide who is normally pretty busy throughout the summer.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations for me? Or, a place that you use to work where you enjoyed working? I totally understand guiding is a very difficult job and some stuff needs to be done that you don't want to do. However, I also want to come out to Alaska and enjoy being up there.

Feel free to PM me!

Take care guys!

I would aslo find out how many years they've been guiding for, and see if you can dig up any client feedback (from returning clients). The size of the lodge / outfitter doesn't necessarily equal experience or a good customer experience.

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    The size of the lodge / outfitter doesn't necessarily equal experience or a good customer experience.
    Unfor. I found that out the summer I was in Alaska.