Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Readhawk triger work

Default Ruger Readhawk triger work

Been shooting my new Ruger RH 44 mag since Christmas. I really like the gun and slowly getting used to the high recoil of hot mag loads.

What I don't like is the dark front site that I have problems seeing in the low-light indoor setting and the double action is somewhat heavy. Is there anybody in Anchorage who can do a decent work to make double action smoother and lighter? Also, are there any other front sites for this gun?

Anton

Quote Originally Posted by ftaba1 View Post
    Been shooting my new Ruger RH 44 mag since Christmas. I really like the gun and slowly getting used to the high recoil of hot mag loads.

What I don't like is the dark front site that I have problems seeing in the low-light indoor setting and the double action is somewhat heavy. Is there anybody in Anchorage who can do a decent work to make double action smoother and lighter? Also, are there any other front sites for this gun?

Anton
    ruger and aftermarket front sights are available.......check brownells (on line). as to the action a spring kit may be just what you need, bullseye makes them (and others) for about $15.00. it is a simple exchange of parts requiring no gunsmithing. when (if) you sell.....switch them back.

happy trails.
    jh

Wild West Guns: www.wildwestguns.com does work on Redhawks, I'm thinking of getting mine de-burred and a trigger-job done. The hammer, cylinder face, and trigger-guard are painfully sharp! I'm going to put at least a few hundred rounds through it first though, I'm sure the trigger will smooth out a bit with more shooting. This weather has been keeping me hiding inside, I'm giving-in and going to the MVS indoor range this week. Must throw lead!

Magnaport does pistol work also. http://magnaport.com/misc.html

I've got the 41 Redhawk. I really like it The fornt sight is black with a red upper ramp and I dont have a problem with it. The trigger is a little *stiff*, but not as stiff as one I tried in a store this weekend. I was with a friend when he went to buy a S&W 44 and we handled a few revolvers including the redhawk 44. The Smith's trigger was a dream, light and crisp. I'm glad to read about the spring kit too. I'll be checking that out.

Have a lot of fun with yer new outfit

Anton
    If you can't find someone to do it, there's very little reason you can't do it yourself. I've done the trigger work on both of mine. It's pretty straight forward. I'm betting replacement spring kits are still available from Brownells, and those will improve your gun a lot with no other changes. If you want more it's just a matter of some very light polishing at the friction points. It's a whole lot easier to tune than a Smith. I haven't looked, but I'm betting if you search the web awhile you'll find a how-to article.

Thanks to ALL for your replies. I found the spring kit at this address:
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...GER%20REDHAWK~

What would a gunsmith do in addition to changing a spring? I'm trying to decide if I should do it myself or take it to the gunsmith. I know their prices are pretty steep. Is changing a spring is the major part the action tuning or not?

Anton

Thanks to ALL for your replies. I found the spring kit at this address:
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...GER%20REDHAWK~

What would a gunsmith do in addition to changing a spring? I'm trying to decide if I should do it myself or take it to the gunsmith. I know their prices are pretty steep. Is changing a spring is the major part the action tuning or not?

Anton
    change the spring yourself.....instructions come with the "kit" and it is as simple as removing the grips. it is not an actual tune (some shops call it a tune) but will give you most of the result you are looking for. a good gunsmith is worth his hire....but use him for projects that you can't do yourself. shop rates run to $65.00 per hour, you can work for less!

happy trails.
    jh

I had my Super Redhawk treated by Wildwest Guns and it has a wonderful trigger pull. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    change the spring yourself.....instructions come with the "kit" and it is as simple as removing the grips. it is not an actual tune (some shops call it a tune) but will give you most of the result you are looking for. a good gunsmith is worth his hire....but use him for projects that you can't do yourself. shop rates run to $65.00 per hour, you can work for less!

happy trails.
    jh
    I'll add that if you're uncomfortable with the polishing after adding a spring kit, there's a "simple" way to do much the same thing. Sit with the gun in your hand and dry fire it double action for a long time. You're family will get sick of the clicking, but in front of the TV is a great time. If you'll take a sight picture and watch your follow-through while you're doing it, you'll be getting good DA practice at the same time.

As a matter of fact, that's what I do with my own action jobs. All that DA cycling "marks" the wear points on the action parts, and helps you determine just where the polishing is needed. I use my action stones to speed the process, but it's all related.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'll add that if you're uncomfortable with the polishing after adding a spring kit, there's a "simple" way to do much the same thing. Sit with the gun in your hand and dry fire it double action for a long time. You're family will get sick of the clicking, but in front of the TV is a great time. If you'll take a sight picture and watch your follow-through while you're doing it, you'll be getting good DA practice at the same time.

As a matter of fact, that's what I do with my own action jobs. All that DA cycling "marks" the wear points on the action parts, and helps you determine just where the polishing is needed. I use my action stones to speed the process, but it's all related.
    You can add tooth paste to the action while yer doing all the dry firing and slick it up even more, called tooth paste action job...

Jim, how much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by jdb3 View Post
    I had my Super Redhawk treated by Wildwest Guns and it has a wonderful trigger pull. Jim
    You guys are great with you advice and experience. That's why I like this forum. Thanks a lot!

Oneriver, I can't tell if you are joking or not about toothpaste?

Anton

Dead serious...

You guys are great with you advice and experience. That's why I like this forum. Thanks a lot!
    +1... this is a good thread, and glad you started it. Will be looking for a spring kit.

Good info for Rugers can be found here.

http://www.rugerforum.net/

Magnaport does outstanding action jobs on Ruger handguns. I have fired a few redhawks a friend had MNP work over, and I'd say they are as smooth as the finest S&W from the old days. Not cheap, but MNP knows how to tune Rugers to perfection.

If you are looking for a sight set up for self defense check out the XS sights Express kit which drops into the existing spots on the gun. Midway USA carries the sets for the Older Rugers. XS sights does not make a sight set for the new short barrel RH that has a pinned front sight.

I switched to this express sight system last summer and my times and groups in self dense practice improved greatly. The large white dot up front and the wide angle notch rear sight line up really fast.

This express sight system is what Bowen uses on his custom RHs.

AK Ray, do you know if it'll fit RH 4" barell? Here is a link to that sight:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=650185

Thanks Paul for the tip on Marnaport.

Anton

I'm not sure, I had the entire Wolverine treatment done. It cost about $750. If you send it to them for the action job also have them do the moon clip conversion. It is worth the cost. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdb3 View Post
    I'm not sure, I had the entire Wolverine treatment done. It cost about $750. If you send it to them for the action job also have them do the moon clip conversion. It is worth the cost. Jim
    I don't know what the "moon clip conversion" is, but I'll ask them.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast