Thread: Bad Brass

Default Bad Brass

Have you ever purchased a new bag of brass only to find out when you open the bag that most of it is unusable? It happened to me today. I was glad to see that SW had in new winchester brass in 300wsm so I picked up a bag of 50. I got home and threw them on the case trimmer, first one didnt fit (dented neck), second one didnt fit (dented neck), third one didnt fit (base wouldnt fit in the holder), fourth one was good. I woudnt be so ticked, but it was the last bag of winchester brass, so if I take it back Im just getting store credit. Has anyone ever had this bad of luck with new brass?

Default BRass

The dents in the neck are usually from handleing/shipping, not the factory. Just run the decapping pin down the neck and the dent dissapear. The basses are a different thing; check them with a set of dial calipers to make sure they are in spec.
    Enjoy !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Ive seen dents in new brass before, but nothing this extreme... Im talking some of hte necks crushed in half

Yes I have had it happen. Picked up a 100 count sack of 357 new brass years ago from a big shop in Phoenix Arizona. Got home to Prescott Az. 90 miles later and find half are all bent with creases in about a third of them. It looked like they drove a tank over the bag.

Now I open the cloth bags and look real good before I plunk my money down!

I also got a bag marked 357 mag and got it home to find they were all 357 max, not mag. That time it was Midway USA, they sent me 2 bags by FedEx next day and told me to keep/chuck the bag of max. I cut it down to 357mag and then had 150 new brass for the price of 50, I love Midway USA!!

Andy

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have found that shipping and handleing damage is fairly common, but manufacturing defects not so much. Every once in a while I get a bag that has one with no primer hole or a fold in the brass but that is about it.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

It is common to see dents in the case mouth, I've never seen a head (rim) sized incorrectly. That should measure about.530" It is supposed to be .532" (max) and cases are generally one or two thousandths smaller. I'd try that again, maybe a burr in the trimmer collet. The case mouths can be fixed with various make shift tools, as others have said. Sometimes I use one of those tapered brass muzzle protectors that come with cleaning rods. A small screw driver or such can straighten it out enough to get the ecpander assembly in the case. You can also remover the expander from the die and just run the dinged up brass through the sizer. This will make the neck round, then do it again with the expander in the die as normal. It's a pain but no other choice. It is getting to where you want to save every piece of brass you can.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Bad Brass

I ordered a bag of WW 22 hornet brass from cabelas about a year ago that was very inconsistant in lenght, some way to long, some that were not square across the case mouth and some that were too short--12 pieces that were .025" shorter than the " recomended trim to lenght". The longer and unsquare ones could be salvaged on my case trimmer. Long story short: I contacted Winchester Olin, and was instructed to send in the 12 that were to short, the bag that they originally came in and a description of the problems with the others. About 2 weeks later I recieved an apology and a new bag of 100 for my trouble. It did make me feel better that they made good on thier product, as I was greatly PO'd of the lack of quality.

I talked with Winchester yesterday. THey are sending mea box to ship the shells back to them and when they get it they are going to ship me two bags back. Good customer service, gotta love that!