Thread: Winter Kill

Default Winter Kill

It's a little early to start speculating... but I'm going to start the discussion anyway

Here in southcentral the snow has been fairly heavy and this last extreme cold snap surely won't help the winter kill situation.

As I look towards this fall for hunting opportunities I'm concerned about the PWS deer kill from this winter... lots of winter left and it's already been tough on the little guys I imagine.

Any know how the winter has been down in Kodiak so far?? Any speculation on the impacts of this winter weather so far??

Greg

we have so little snow here that the moose are scraping it away to eat old ferns and grass. they all look fat and happy so far.
    i would guess we are about 3-4' less snow than would be "normal".
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

There isn't that much snow on the islands in the sound from what I have been able to gather.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default yeah...

both of those are great news.... HomerDave, I still need to get down there to see you this spring to get across the bay for some blackie chasin!!!

Greg

Not much snow if any at the lower levels here in Kodiak. It has been cold (at least for us islanders) and all freshwater seems to be frozen. Great ice fishing, about 16 inches of clear ice on all the lakes.
    I too am hoping for a better year for the deer. Not a lot to lose after the last couple of winters.

Default Not down here

Wish I could say the same for Southeast. Weve been getting dumped on every day for the last 2 weeks!

Default ouch

I had a trip (work) to POW next week and it got scrubbed due to the heavy snow and roads being essentially locked in....

yuck!!

In south central and the interior deep snow is not a problem unless it is really deep snow. In a normal deep snow year wolves are the major killer of moose. Several years ago a pack of wolves moved from Cantwell east killing every moose they found because of the deep snow. The moose population took a major hit that year.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Definetly not as much snow out here in the sound as last year. Temps have been chilly though. I was out deer hunting the weekend before new years and there was a lot of sign ( my buddy got a small buck). There was hardly any snow in the thick trees and you could see where the deer had been browsing. No new snow since before new years.

Quote Originally Posted by #1duck View Post
    Definetly not as much snow out here in the sound as last year. Temps have been chilly though. I was out deer hunting the weekend before new years and there was a lot of sign ( my buddy got a small buck). There was hardly any snow in the thick trees and you could see where the deer had been browsing. No new snow since before new years.
    #1 duck-
    That sounds like good deer hunting news so far for next year.

Thanks