Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitworth 375 H and H express

Default Whitworth 375 H and H express

Hey guys what do you think an interarms Whitworth express in 375 caliber is worth. It looks all original very minor scrape on the bluing and stock. All together a nice survivor, it has the 3 pop up sights for 100, 200, and 300, yards on the back. Any info would be appreciated.

Default Whitworth

They´re selling for way more than they're worth but they are great rifles but rough as a cobb . I've had four different in .375 and .458 and believe they were $499 , with a license back in `90 . I've seen people asking $1,000 for them but I wouldn't pay more than $550 or so , maybe $600 .

Hmm rough as a cobb? The wood seems nice, the iron sights are a nice bonus and the action seems (CRF) alot better than on the new rifles (rem. winchester, rugers)

Default ¨rough as a cobb

the lug races and rails are rougher than a cobb on new Mark X's , a little 400 and 600 grit goes a long ways , they make great project guns and can be made to look good with a little work . Check out Sabi rifles ,that's what Mausers are supposed to look like . I'd always be up for buying that Whitworth .

Default Whitworth 375

I bought my Whitworth.375 H&H in '86, with the idea that I'd eventually replace it with a Model 70. I've come to really like it and have no intention of replacing it now. The action is smooth enough, the trigger pull is light and crisp, the rifle handles well and is reasonably accurrate. I don't recall what I paid for it and I don't know what it's worth, but I like the one I've got.

Default 'Twas my first .375 H&H...

bought mine as a barreled action when they were $210 with shipping and insurance. Put it into a cast-off Browning Safari stock, and made a really nice rifle that shot better than I figured a $200 rifle should have, even at 1986 prices!
    Roughness can be overcome, and both my first and second ones shot well enough that I saw no need to fool with 'em.
    I'd be silly to pay more for one of the Whitworths than what you'd pay for a NEW Remington 798, which is what the Mark X's morphed into......or just shop for a CZ 550.......

Thumbs up Is it.....

I think it is the same action that Alaskan guide Phil Shoemaker has on his .458 Winchester. That gun has been shown in his articles in Rifle Magazine. It won't win any beauty contests, but I think it might be the one he reaches for when he heads into the alders after his clients brown bear. That says a lot!

The fondness I have for a certain Mark X goes a long way. Been through a lot with it, have done some work on it, a great rifle. It has saved my life as well. Not a Whitworth but a plain Jane Mk X in .375, same action. Paid $500 for it way back, and it will shoot one hole groups at 100 yds with the right handloads when I'm capable of holding it that still which isn't often. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Buy with confidence. Oz

I bought one new around '86 & made the mistake of parting with it when I got focused on handgun hunting.
    Mine was far from rough.
    The wood & metal were beautiful & the action was smoothe as any custom Mauser I've handled. The thing also just flat shot.
    If I had the money to part with & somebody offered me that rifle back in the same condition it was in when I sold it I would gladly pay $800 (I think I paid about $500 new in '86) & maybe more.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Great guns

I have one in .375 and another in .458 Win that I sent off today to get opened up to .458 Lott. The have both been great guns. The 375 is slick as they come and has a lot of wear on it. The 458 is a little rough now but no more than a new Ruger or most of the model 70 Classics I handled.

Blue Book says $600 in 100% but I know they have been fetching a premium over what the book says.

Buy it and shoot it smooth.

You will never pay too much for a good gun. You may perhaps pay too soon. But the price you pay will eventually catch up to what it becomes valued at. Does that make sense? As the thread has shown, the only guns we regret buying are the ones we've sold. Negotiate what you think is a fair price and enjoy shooting it!GUNBUGS

Quote Originally Posted by oatzy View Post
    Hey guys what do you think an interarms Whitworth express in 375 caliber is worth. It looks all original very minor scrape on the bluing and stock. All together a nice survivor, it has the 3 pop up sights for 100, 200, and 300, yards on the back. Any info would be appreciated.

The CZ magnum is a superior gun. So the answer is the Whitworth had better be selling at a discount to a new CZ to be worthwhile.

Default Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by Jack49 View Post
    The CZ magnum is a superior gun. So the answer is the Whitworth had better be selling at a discount to a new CZ to be worthwhile.

Why do you believe the CZ is superior to the Whitworth?

I dont believe the CZ guns are superior at all. I have looked at them and honestly the guns seem rather clunky to me. The mark X action has been the basis for many a custom gun. I have never heard of building a custom gun off of a CZ action

I have 350 Griffin & Howe that is custom made on a Whitworth action and I love it. I would take a Whitworth action any day.

My Whitworth Mark X in 458 had CZ on the action.I think CZ made most of the old InterArms Whitworth guns.

Talking buy it

Quote Originally Posted by oatzy View Post
    I dont believe the CZ guns are superior at all. I have looked at them and honestly the guns seem rather clunky to me. The mark X action has been the basis for many a custom gun. I have never heard of building a custom gun off of a CZ action
    It's quite obvious that you really like the rifle, along with a lot of other experienced riflemen, so don't let the "positive challenged" folks rain on your parade. You've held it, checked it out, so what if you pay a little too much, what's the regret if you have what you want? Be a gofer.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Whitworths..

Nice rifles......I've had 2 of them both 375 H&H. They are a quality rifle but I found out quickly that wood and blued rifles and I are not a good combo. They both performed quite well and shot nice groups. Just didn't work out well with me in the rain and snow. My fault not the rifles. I paid in the the $500-$600 range for the 2 I had. I feel that is what they are worth.
    Last edited by Finley; 02-06-2009 at 03:14. Reason: spelling

Default Whitworth Express .375

Got mine in 1980. Incredibly accurate at 200 yards with 270 grain out-of-the-box ammo. I wouldn't use anything else on moose. Bit like my wife - gets better with age and wouldn't part with it for love nor money. I handle it gently, generally, because sighting in can you headaches and loose teeth! Roll on hunting season. Best wishes to all.

Default Mark X

The last Mark X I had I gave to a young man who was just getting into the sport of hunting. It was in 3oo Win mag.; I didn't give it to him because I din't like it but because it was a reliable rifle in a great caliber. I believe everyone should mentor two replacement hunters for themselves.
    It was made by Zestavia. I wouldn't hesatate to purchase another one.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast