Thread: Request information on spring Grizzly from snow machine.

Default Request information on spring Grizzly from snow machine.

I am looking for information on hunting Grizzly on snow machine this spring. I am new to this snow-machine hunting but have been told that this is a good way to get back up to the head of some valleys and glass for open dens. If you have any input or recommendations let me thank you in advance. I live in Wasilla and would like to stay within 100 to 200 miles from here. Thanks in advance. Rick

I hunt Spring Bears with a snowgo on the very first days in April that has warm enough weather out to make it drip, and form puddles. Thats a good indication that Bears are out.
    They go up to hill tops and ridges to look for food to scavage, and also set themselfs along Caribou paths through the Brush, so they can ambush them. I also sit apon high and watch Caribou herds, and see if somethings moving them.

Bears on the snow look like shiney dark "Balls" moveing along, leaving a trail. Not hard to find a den, they will return to it. Just gas up when you have hit tracks, and go find 'em.

Good luck!

Smile nelchina basin

Considering the previous posters tips who obviously has some experience and knowledge in locating brown bears, you might try the areas South of the Denali Highway in the Northern Talkeetnas where the caribou are heading that time of year. The easiest way would be head South on the Susitna River past the Oshentna. Predator control in this area helps both the moose and caribou….
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

The Willow side of Hatcher pass has some good areas for this type of hunting as does the Eureka area. Good luck.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Tons of good areas up by Eureka, Hurricane, and the Denali Highway. You can also head west across the Su and up into the hills in 16.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I hunt Spring Bears with a snowgo on the very first days in April that has warm enough weather out to make it drip, and form puddles. Thats a good indication that Bears are out.
    They go up to hill tops and ridges to look for food to scavage, and also set themselfs along Caribou paths through the Brush, so they can ambush them. I also sit apon high and watch Caribou herds, and see if somethings moving them.

Bears on the snow look like shiney dark "Balls" moveing along, leaving a trail. Not hard to find a den, they will return to it. Just gas up when you have hit tracks, and go find 'em.

Good luck!

I agree here.. bears are high. in the spring. i have caught them Sledding down a hill on their belly before but the are only headed up to the next one. the best bet is to look for tracks coming off of and cutting across ridges. Valdez is a great place for sled hunting in the spring. but you had best be a Moderate rider at least. it can be steep and deep in the spring. but the bears are big.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Spring bears-Denali Highway

The hunting for spring bears on the Denali Highway in the spring is excellent. I called F&G in Glennallen a few years back, and they noted that between the Su and the Maclaren is some of the highest concentrations of interior grizzly's they have seen. They counted 18 on the south facing slope on the Clearwater Mountains on a single fly over in April that year. I have two dens within site of my place, and I plan on doing my part in the spring to help the predator control in the area. Al at Maclaren is also a great resource to call. I get ahold of him every spring for the bear report from the area.

I can't wait! Long days, warmer temps, and bears!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default I'll be there too

Still waitin on my new machines and freight sled, shoulod have everything by the 24th. Plan on going out for caribou shortly after i get them, and definatly plan on hitting denali hwy for bear this spring.