Thread: What is Max Cart Length

Default What is Max Cart Length

Manuals list a 44 Rem Mag handgun as having a Max. Cart. Lenght of 1.610". I recently loaded some Oregon Trails Tru shot 310 gn WNFP and crimped in the cannelure came up with lenghts of 1.637 to 1.641. They seemed to fit OK in my Redhawk and I did not see any problems when fired. I loaded at 19.5 gr H110 which seems on the lighter side for these rounds. Am I being sloppy and unsafe or does listed Max lenght only apply to certain handguns? I think I remember reading somewhere that as long as the cartridge fits within the cylinder it is not too long.
    What really is Maximum cartridge lenght?

Default 44mag 310 grs

I just checked some I had in the living room. I'am using the lee 310 gr mould and w/w quenched, and crimping in the lower crimp ring. It read out 1.722. I also shooting this out of a Red Hawk. Using 2400 powder (dont remember the load and its raining so not going out to the loading shed) I have been shooting these for about 3+ yrs and no probs. HTH.

Gun Runner

The SAAMi listed maximum length for the 44 Mag is 1.610". If you load to longer than that, or shorter, as long as it fits and functions, you're good to go. The max SAAMI length is to assure it will fit and function in all guns chambered for the caliber. Lever guns probably won't work at greater than 1.610" length. As long as the loaded round fits in the cylinder of a revolver it will work. Seating longer won't increase the pressure.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy is right.

I was loading some SSK hard cast 310 grain (really weighed 303 grains)
    in my old Model 29 S&W. I loaded them just short of the cylinder face with a hot load of H-110. The same load will not function in my Rossi 44 mag M92 levergun. It is a touch too long. So I have to seat them a touch deeper by standing on my press lever.
    I get 1,605 fps from the Rossi carbine using 21.5 grains of H-110 and a mag primer.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com