Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: antlers dropping

Default antlers dropping

A while back someone asked when moose dropped their antlers,well i woke up to a shed in the front yard this morning,nice deep brown will be keeping an eye out for the other side.

Nice Find, I woke up to a pile of moose poop in my yard the other morning. No antlers though.

Theres a small bull who has been hanging around my house with a cow that still is sportin head gear. I was going to go searh the area he hangs out in this spring and look for some sheds.

Congrats on the easy find, gusuk1 - that's the easy way to do it.

I've seen three small bulls over the weekend that are still packin' - including these two guys.

I'd guess the bigger bulls have all dropped by now, although that snow we had around Christmas might make finding their paddles a bit tricky for a while.
    Last edited by Wyo2AK; 03-21-2010 at 20:25.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thumbs up Wyo2Ak

always like seeing the big village moose,have had a couple bulls hanging around the house,up until yesterday they both had their HEAD GEAR,the bigger being around 45 and smaller at about 36,the smaller one left the deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post

I've seen three small bulls over the weekend that are still packin' - including these two guys.

I'd guess the bigger bulls have all dropped by now, although that snow we had around Christmas might make finding their paddles a bit tricky for a while.

I thought the same thing about the bigger bulls until I saw a 60+" bull on Saturday out by Tok with his gear still attached..
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

Quote Originally Posted by TroutsMan View Post
    I thought the same thing about the bigger bulls until I saw a 60+" bull on Saturday out by Tok with his gear still attached..
    As usual - there's someone to knock a big hole in one of my theories.

On a side note, one of those two bulls I took the picture of ran across Lake Otis and nearly got hit by a car. As he sprinted to safety, he whacked his right antler against a stop sign with impressive force. I looked for an antler to go flying, but I'd say they were stuck on pretty good still.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Question bulls with antlers

Between Xmas and New Years eve, I saw 3 different bulls from Anchorage to Big Lake with both antlers and all 50" or bigger. The bull my buddy shot on Ft. Rich the weekend before Xmas was a 3 year old bull and NO antlers. Go figure??

Default ft rich

lol my buddy had the same luck on ft rich.

Default Sheds

I saw a large bull in the Noatak with one rack last week. One of my neighbors took a 3 year old bull with a full rack 2 days ago.

Default Quality

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Theres a small bull who has been hanging around my house with a cow that still is sportin head gear. I was going to go searh the area he hangs out in this spring and look for some sheds.
    If you're looking for premium quality of the sheds it's best to get them soon after they drop; critters like to chew on them and mark them up pretty good. There are a few folks that pay to have sheds that are good quality. I heard from a business associate this last spring about a guy that flies out to remote parts and picks up sheds (and sometimes with skulls attached) and sells them. Rumor was that he fetched 10k for an intact B&C class 'bou skull and antler combo.

I'll tell you the rest of the story about that conversation; it's pretty funny if you want to hear it.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I found a couple bulls on Dec. 26th near the house, a small bull with his left side missing, an average bull with both sides attached. I went back on Dec. 27th and found the right side. Couldn't have been on the ground more than an hour, the bull was 70 yards away. Best part was I found this antler not 10 yards from where I found a matching set last year! Just waiting for it to warm up before resuming the search....
    Attached Images Attached Images

i saw a little paddle bull this afternoon with both sides... may take a ski out there in the next couple days and see what i can find...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Last saturday my daughters saw a big bull on way to anchorage that still had his head gear. 1 year i saw one in march that still had antlers,
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default still intact

We saw two bulls this past weekend at Lake Louise that still had their head gear. One was right on the lake.

Default Bulls

We had six different bulls come in and out of our yard for a couple days a few weeks ago, and all of them still had their racks. The biggest one had to be around 35 inches, so they weren't anything to spectacular. I think that my dad and I may try to go out and walk the bike paths around our house and see if we can't find any...
    Last edited by AK A's Fan; 01-10-2009 at 11:00. Reason: spelling

Default Shed Hunters

Seen a decent bull outside of Eagle River that had dropped his left side, so I guess it's getting close to doing so walking pretty soon... Good luck to all the shed hunterS!!

Default Sheds

I had 4 bulls just over my fence on Fort Rich land all at the same time last Saturday. Two of them had dropped both sides and two still had both sides. One was a small 3x3 and the other was about 40". The other two had decent sized bodies but who knows just how wide. Those antler sure do help when trying to size em up!!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Yeah, but you ought to see where he lives....that's the hard part.

Stay warm Gusuk1

Default shed

Yeah I found a small one right before Christmas. I had 6 bulls hanging out by my house 3 of which still had antlers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast