Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1917 Enfield project

Default 1917 Enfield project

Hey all,

I currently have a bubba 1917 Enfield that I am looking to make into something new. I have contemplated the gamut of cartridges available for this beefy action and lean toward the big bores like .495 A-Square, 500 Jeffery and .577 T-Rex. I work in close proximity with coastal brown bears so these cartridges would not be totally wasted and relegated to the shooting range. But, since I am working on a .458 Lott already I am thinking of going with something a little more middle of the road. Strong contenders are 35 Whelen, 416 Taylor and 9.3x62mm Mauser.

What are others thoughts on this project? They all seem to have pros and cons and would be interested in others opinions.

Default How about the old classic .375H&H?

The smaller calibers like the .35 Whelen almost seem like a waste on the big 1917 action although if you cut it down like a Rem. 720 it won't be too bad.

Take a look a 30 or 30S Remington and you can get some good ideas on how to trim down the trigger guard and do some other work to make it appear a much nicer gun.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default I already have one

I already have a .375 H&H that I don't want to get rid of and for some reason I prefer getting new calibers. I don'treally need a new gun/caliber but want something fun. Maybe I should go with a .495 A-Square.

Default big boomers

I have been reading books on African hunting and the big boys(470 nitro and up) since as long as I can remember and there is just something about the really big cartridges that I just love. I just picked up John Taylors African Rifles and Cartridges and have been lusting over some of the rifles that he talks about in the book. Ol John speaks very highly of both the 500 Jeffrey and the 505Gibbs, I think your action would make a fine Gibbs which would be my choice for more availability of brass and even factory loads if your so inclined. One of the great things about these big cartridges is they are pretty low pressure, not that your 1917 wont handle pressure. I'd love to get the chance to hunt one of the big bears with a really big rifle like that.

By the way a freind of mine in gunsmith school converted a 1917 into a target gun chambered for the 338 Lapua, kinda cool.

Whatever you choose good luck and have fun.

Default 1917 Enfield

There are Winchester , Remington and Eddystone 1917's , watch out for the Eddystone . A straight floor assembly will cost some bucks . The 1917 is a strong action but heavy . Wouldn't hurt to look at magna-fluxing the actions if you're going to invest in a custom .

I've had two 1917's, the first was a 458 lott, the second a 500 Jeffrey. It is such a huge heavy action that I can't see using it for anything other than one of the massive cases.

To me the most practical big round is the 500 A-square. The brass is by big round standards inexpensive, .510" bullets are fairly easy to get ahold of, and it provides enough power that you just my find that you really don't want to build anything bigger. And if a 570gr barnes @ 2400 fps doesn't do the trick, it's not a lack of power that is the problem.

Default For what Its Worth

I have a 416 Taylor and like it very much. It has an availability of multiple brass producers, bullets are readily available and from inexpensive to very expensive( in a lot of weights). Dies and reloading equipment are standard. IF you wish to take it to Africa there is a properly headstamped brass; at premium prices of course (A-Square).
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

If you want to go middle of the road, how about a norma mag or a STA in 358.

I'm in the middle of a 1917 project also, not sure the final round but since I happen to have a new 458bbl coming its gonna have that bore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joel,

In 458 I'd go 450 Rigby or 460 Weatherby. You can run them at lott velocities but very mild pressure. The lott case is barely big enough to hold sufficient powder to push 500's over 2200 fps, might as well use a big case and not have to deal with serious powder compression, especially if you want to use all copper bullets.

I was thinking about the rigby. My wife could handle the lott we got you from you years ago and I also think she could handle the rigby, vs the weatherby better. She wont be shooting it alot but I want her familiar with it for that just in case scenario.

The rigby is just a beltless weatherby, loaded down. You can load the weatherby to the same levels.

I never would have believed the 458 lott has too little powder capacity, but after having had two of them, I'd go with a larger case if I were to build another 458 rifle. That and the enfield action deserves a big case.

Thanks Paul. I'm not gonna put this gun together til next spring so I got plenty of time to pick a flavor.

Since I dont "need" this rifle, I was also considering the 458AR. been trying to read up on it.

Sorry Nimrod for the hijack.

Just so you know there is nothing wrong with a 9.3x62 that holds 6 down. I'm pretty pleased with my p17.

Thebear_78 - Is your mag box opened a little to get in the 6th round? I thought the standard box held 5 in 30-06. That is a slick looking rifle, I like the military peep left on the back. That is a tough and reliable sight.

The .505 Gibbs would be fun or the 500 Jeffrey. It seems like the 505 is a little easier to come by nowadays. Having a .510 caliber rifle would be fun and there are a lot out there to choose from. there is something about the .495 A-Square that I like quite a bit, not sure what but something.

No problem with the hijack, I like hearing others projects.

Default A few more thoughts

I've got a number of P-14s and 1917s and learned a bit over the years. I cut and ground the ears off a Rem. 1917 years ago with big file - I'll never do that again!

First - don't cut up a good orginal P-14 or P-17 action - they are becoming too valuable. You can find plenty of already modified actions cheap. Ditto for an orginal barrel - they are getting expensive now! I'll trade you a good Rem. action already ground off for an orginal one to save you some trouble.

If you can get a Remington action - they generally don't have the cutout under rear sight springs so you so you don't have to fill it. Heat treating was good also - no hard receivers like some of the eddystones.

Straigteneing out the guard assembly is no big deal. While you are at it narrow the trigger guard bow like a Model 30. You can also flatten out the rear bridge like a Mdl. 720 and save some mass and weight. This is rarely done for some reason.

The bolt diam. of the 1917 and most actions is just too small for the .505 Gibbs. Check out one of the CZ550s - the lip is down to near paper thin.

As most poeple know you can use a P-14 and save opening up the orginal 1917 bolt face for a magnum. I have a spae P-14 bolt I'll trade for a 1917 bolt is some is going the magnum route.

Remember on the barrel blanks to get one with a large enough shank - some are too small in diam. for P14s/ 1917s.

I'll post a few more thoughs as they come to mind.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

tvfinak-thanks for the post, it is very informative. Sorry, the ears were ground off before I got it. At one time I found a list of the Eddystone actions that were over hardened and this one was out of the range. I am keeping my eyes open for more of these actions in good condition for future projects, they are scarce around here though. I would like to restore one to original military dress too. If I find any with ears intact I will get in touch with you and see if we can work a trade. I like any new information I can get about these actions.

My 1917 in 30-06 will take 6 rounds. Nice rifle wish I could pick up several more for what I paid for mine. I have 4 boys to arm in the next 5 years.
    Justin

Default My NEW RARE 98'

I purchased this at a local gun show this weekend. It's a VZ 24/47 made in Yugo. What makes it a rare bird is it's configuration.
    It's an AUTHENTIC Serbian sniper rifle that was used in the recent blood bath in the former USSR republic, complete with the proper bayonet.
    The scope mts. are ZRAK made in Bosnia, the scope is a 6x40 military style with no provision for turret caps made in Belarus, The reticle reminds me of a SVT it has a diamond with graduated horizon and a range scale. The bolt has been bent and ground flat on top and bottom. The stock and action are numbered alike, complete with arsenal marks on the stock. The bad part is the bore is dark and may not be real good.

http://www.texastradingpost.com/yugo...m48sniper.html
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Default More pics

lost one pic somewhere

SORRY SOMEHOW these came up on the wrong thread, I tried to start one !

I have looked at the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke. This is an obscure round that moves a 286 gr. slug at 2650 fps. This might be an interesting round for the Enfield action. THis round works in a standard length action so does'n't really meet the potiential of the Enfield action

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast