Thread: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Default Ruger M77 Hawkeye

This cold weather has me looking more and more at new rifles. I own a couple of Rugers and like the looks of the Hawkeye. What do you think?

Default Getting rough

The last Hawkeyes I have looked at were pretty rough to other guns. They had casting part lines on the safety and other parts and the bolt operation wasn't as slick as the older tang safety guns or the Win. 70 classics.

The older Win. 70 classics are still hard to beat for function and quality and there are still plenty of them around in near new condition for about the same prices as a new Hawkeye.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    This cold weather has me looking more and more at new rifles. I own a couple of Rugers and like the looks of the Hawkeye. What do you think?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

my take is that they are a "tough" and accurate rifle. the one I picked up and gave to my brother-in-law was the .30-06 and with a plastic stock. the trigger was a good improvement and the bolt was slick, unlike my past M77 which required some honing on the rails and a trigger replacement.

My amigo who is 61 yrs. just bought a .375 Ruger/Hogue stock and 7 boxes of shells is quite pleased with his, again smooth as glass but....still needs to be broken in. He is awaiting for me to do that when the weather "really" breaks-like chinook style I look foward to that.

my thoughts is that they are a fine tough rifle-good for Alaska.

regards,

Default I really like my Hawkeye...

It's not a 77 though with a rear tang safety. I have noticed the black finish on the bbl has scraped off when against the bow of the boat ( metal on metal) but that's just cosmetics. I have gotten 8 rounds touching on paper with a scope and 300 grain round nose Hornadys...all in and beside the bullseye, so I have no complaints so far...It seemed a little overkill for the unlucky black bear I tried it on this spring.
    It handles well in the brush and it fit me well, I may have the trigger pull adjusted lighter, as I am used to that with my M77 .338.