Thread: Best Family Fishing Trip locations for August?

Default Best Family Fishing Trip locations for August?

Hi all,

My wife and 4 boys (ages 11-17) are planning a family trip to either SE or SC Alaska next August. We're interested in combining some salmon fishing along with day trips w/outdoor activities and some of the options are:

-Anchorage north (staying in Wasilla, Talkeetna, and Denali National Park)
    -Kenai Peninsula (staying in Cooper's Landing, Soldotna, and Homer)
    -Ketchikan and Prince of Wales island (Klawock) or

What are your opinions and suggestions for a successful trip of fishing and family activities. Especially suggestions for good locations to bring the family salmon fishing without combat conditions.

Thanks in advance!

My first time in Alaska, my whole family went up. We rented a motor home in Anchorage and drove to the Kenai. We fished with Steve McClure and had a wonderful time. There are several boarding houses or house rental type deals as well there if you do not want to have the motorhome. We also did a day cruise out of Seward to the Kenai Fjords Park I believe it is called.
    You list Denali as something, we did it for 2 days with bus trips and a day where we did a flight seeing tour around Mt Mckinley. Another thing to do is rafting, scenic and white water on the Tanana river in that locale. this was by far my fondest memory of all time.
    here is the fishing guides website with rates for groups and such. Give Steve a call and let him know what you are looking for. He is such a stand up great guy he will tell you where to go elsewhere if you don't want him(which I think won't happen!). Mention that the Green's from Utah sent ya, we have used him for 12 years now!

www.alaskakenairiverfishing.com

Oh, and we fished Aug. 6-10 for silvers, reds, and trout and had a blast. We between 7 of us brought home 65 some odd silvers...it was stunning.

I would not stay in Ketchikan. After spending the whole summer there, there is not much to do except drinking if of age. Big tourist trap because of the Cruise Ships, but not much besides bars and little shops for tourist. I am in Anchorage and love it compared to Ketchikan.

Rather than Ketchikan, we'd probably plan to spend most of the time on POW (Klawock or Thorne Bay). I'd be interested in hearing opinions comparing the opportunities for youth fishing along with outdoor family opportunities between the three locations - Anchorage to Denali, Kenai Penin, and POW.

Thanks!