Thread: 6 Pack Licenses

Default 6 Pack Licenses

Can anyone help me with getting the info on how to get my 6 pack licenses for inland waters? Any help would be good.

Thank you.

Do a search here. There has been many threads on this topic. You should come across the answer you are looking for.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 6 pack

I had a Limited Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) Guide License. It was just getting a matter of getting all the i's dotted and t's crossed. The actual test was easy; but getting the fingerprints and taking the test only in Anchorage was BS. I remember you also had to get a physical, show documented hours, drug test, show origiinal ss card, three notarized letters of character reference, CPR cards etc. I think you can get most of the info from the website. Mine was good for two years before renewal. Good luck !

Had mine 8 years now for Inland waters , Call the Coast Guard at the diamond mall ,They can give you more info , Here is when the classes are

http://www.alaskawatersconsulting.com/calendar.htm
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Forgot to add ,We now have to have a 2nd license besides the 6-pac to prove we are not terrorist

Charterboat Operator

Default TWIC card

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Forgot to add ,We now have to have a 2nd license besides the 6-pac to prove we are not terrorist
    I think you are talking about the Transportation Workers Identification Card. what a bunch of ^%$##%&! if any of you have not done this and are going to do it please use there web site to make an appointment. i made one and still sat in there office for over an hour. They are on a server that is tied in with the east and west coast. HINT, make your appointment for the afternoon, later the better. this way you will not have there computer server bieng bogged down by the east coast. there were guys that had stopped by to try and get there card that had been in the office for 4 hours!
    dont remember the web site but it can be found under TSA-TWIC program.

In the summer, I've seen flyers for weekend classes at the University of Alaska to get you ready for the test. Not sure how often they occur, or if they are at all university locations.

Start out by buying the book "Get your Captain's license" by Charlie Wing with Jim Austin. It is a complete study guide with the CD. You will still need to purchase some maps for the Cheasepeke bay for routing and testing, but this book will give you everything that you will need to get started. If you learn this book, you should have no problems passing. However, the best way is to take a class. It keeps you focused.

I am about done and ready to test for my 6 pack, but I am going to continue on and attempt a 100 ton master. I have the time and the sponsor.

Mark

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i seen that book for sale or trade in the swap and sell forum

Default 6 pack

You can now get your license almost all on line:

http://www.marinersschool.com/?gclid...FRxNagod41C1jQ

I actually looked at this on line course. You still are required to take the exam and pass it at one of their schools in addition to the CPR, drug test and the proof of on water time. At a price of 575.00 for the software, and still having to take the exam on location, I ran the route of the book and software that I mentioned above. There are some things as I mentioned that are not included with the book and self study, but the book does lay them out as to every thing that you will need and will need to obtain. I just felt at a price of 59.95 for the book and CD, it was a way better start then the on line course.

Now that said, there are some that have a hard time with self study, cannot put in the time for it ect....remember, this is like taking a 400 series college course on a self study. It is NOT easy. If self study is not your cup of tea, then I would do as others suggested and take a classroom course. They are about 500.00 a pop (at least in the great lakes area) and they guarentee a passing.

My 2 cents....

Mark

you should really take the course in person. I have my 50 ton masters that I got last fall in a 2 week course (8 hrs. a day) in anchorage at Alaska Nautical training @the VFW on fireweed. You should really try and get higher grade license so if you ever want to upgrade you can. The license your looking at is limited to it self and gives you just a small amount of information needed to operate. I think some of the stuff would be difficult to learn from just a video or book, it's nice to have help from someone. good luck
    Boatless

I second Fishface, go to school and you will learn lots of stuff you would not get by self study. You must remember that this lic. allows you to take people out to sea (in the case of a coastal) but in any case their lives are in your hands. They are trusting you to know everything and you must assume they know nothing. This lic. is a professional lic. don't be a clown that reflects on all other captains.

Default More info

I recently took and passed the 7-day class at Alaska Waters Consulting They are in the Dimond Center), another local USCG approved school for OUPV and higher licenses. The class was $700 and well worth it. I passed all the tests with 90% and that was because I had an experienced instructor who could help me through the difficult stuff, like charting.

The other thing you might want to consider if/when you end up in the Coast Guard office actually applying for the license (the paperwork) is to add the Ordinary Seaman documentation to your application. There are jobs I'm looking at in other ports around the state where the MMD/OS would be helpful and it puts another layer of bureaucracy behind you. It's only $45 more for the document...

Do they have weekend course now. I spoke to Mercer, who is one of the instructors. He mentioned they might being doing a several weekend course.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

WHAT EVER YOU DO !!!! Do not let your license lap when it comes due .Man what a pain in the rear to get it reinstated , And make sure you keep Very good log books I had over 300 hrs logged in my books for 2007 and then they made me prove it along with taking the test all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I took a class from these guys, as well. I highly recommend using their services. They do a good job of walking everyone through the paperwork, so when I showed up at the Coast Guard office, it was fairly painless. I had all my stuff in order.

I still need a TWIC card, so that will be my next adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I took a class from these guys, as well. I highly recommend using their services. They do a good job of walking everyone through the paperwork, so when I showed up at the Coast Guard office, it was fairly painless. I had all my stuff in order.

I still need a TWIC card, so that will be my next adventure.

feb. 24th is the last day for your TWIC. I would get an pre-register online because it can be quite a wait. good luck
    Boatless

Is any license needed if you're ONLY hauling freight, NOT passengers? Everything I can find regarding the 100t license, etc, focuses on the passenger factor.