Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ordering powder to Valley via Anchorage who wants in?

Question Ordering powder to Valley via Anchorage who wants in?

All right, been checking this out getting all set to do it and hears is the deal.

Someone had said the only reason suppliers in the 48 powder donít ship powder to Alaska is they donít know how. This is 100% wrong! USPS & FedEx donít take gun powder at all, no way no how. UPS will only do it for large business under a strict hazmat contract, no suppliers I have found have this contract and I called about 20. Without this advance setup that an individual canít get UPS is also no way no how.

So itís back to plan ďAĒ . . . UPS to Lynden in Fife Washington and hazmat barge to Anchorage. I called Lynden to see for sure how to go about this and what itís going to cost. I was told they do it all the time and the one she had just done came to $204 for a 47 pound shipment. Thatís everything: hazmat fee, handling fee, fuel surcharge, and the shipping fee, the total price to get 47 pounds from Fife to Anchorage. So thatís about $4.35 per pound for that leg of the trip.

Now if we get our powder from "Third Generation Shooting Supply" the shipping from them to Fife Washington is a flat $4.95 and a $20 hazmat fee, but they wave the hazmat fee on orders over 30 pounds. So itís just $4.95 for 31 to 50 pounds, thatís a great deal in my view. So unless someone has a better plan I think this is the place to go with.
    By the way they wonít ship powder and primers in the same box, so primers will need to be out on this powder buy.
    Hear is their link so you can shop what is in stock, item number, and its price. Note that on their sight they have their in stock count above the item price. If the item you want has a very low in stock count you may want to find a different powder.
    http://www.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/

Now to pay the piper . . . got to talk $$$!!
    Just so we are all on the same page I want everyone to understand that this is not about me making money! Also not about getting cheep powder or undercutting local the shops, itís just about getting the powder we need. I wonít be making a dime here and I donít want to be out any for stuff I donít need either. I would love to have the money to just buy it up front, but I just donít, so this is the best way I can think of to make this work.
    1~ Find your powder info (item #- powder name Ė price) at Third Generationís sight. Then put it here or/ PM it to me/ or email to (adfields [at] mtaonline.net) I used (at) for the @ sign so you must type it and I donít get hammered with spam.
    2~ Add it up and PayPal it to me less the shipping charge/ or pay me any way you want to that all right with, I will give receipts if not using PayPal. I donít like PayPal as they are somewhat anti-gun but they do make a very good third party money deals. If you do use PayPal call it ďhunting suppliesĒ and donít say anything about guns, powder, or shooting to PayPal!!
    3~ I will place the order and pay the shipping up front myself. When I get it here and know all the total shipping costs we will divide it by the number of pounds. When you pick up your powder from me or I take it to you, you pay the actual shipping for your poundage back to me.

Iím thinking I will place the order late next Monday nite (1-12-08) if all goes well and we have enough takers. This could change if we need to. Iím easy to work with. It should go without saying but I think it needs to be said. If for any reason it does not go through I will refund your money 100%. Also it will be shipped insured but if the barge sinks or some other trouble happens we are all in the same boat so to speak. Stuff dose happen sometimes, if it does I will do all I can to work it out and help is and will be welcome. The very last thing I want is to make a bunch of friends here on the forum into pi$$ed off adversaries over a good faith non profiting deal!
    Thatís what I have found out and what Iím planning.
    Any input welcome, as always. Order up!

Andy

Default I am in

I will make up an order tomorrow, total it and come to you. Im looking at 5lbs or more. Thank you for doing this!

Will

Default I'm in

I'll jump on that boat too and will order somewhere between 8 - 12 pounds depending on what they have and if there's room enough.

This is a very generous offer that you are extending to forum members, thank-you. Unfortunately, the two powders that I would be interested in ordering are out of stock (H335 & Varget).

I would like to order 5lbs.
    Really appreciate it.
    I will pm you
    Thanks
    Jesse

I am interested in 5 lbs as well. Thanks for all the leg work.
    Will

Wow Alaska must be even more out of powder than I was thinking.

So far we have this list in just 6 hours or so!
    wholden ~ 5
    AkCPO ~ 8 to 12
    JessMan ~ 5
    Situk32 ~5

20# give or take here and I want 8 to 10 I think without looking it up so that is close to 30 already. We may need to do it more than once. Must be a lot of guys that want to stay in and load when it's -10 or -20 out in the heat of the day.

Andy

Andy,
    Sent you an email. Hopefully I got your address right, if not let me know. Thanks again for doing this!

Will

I sent you a PM. Thanks for your work with this.

Thanks, Andy!

I'd like...

5lb WIN748 Item #: WIN7481LB
    5lb R19 Item #: ALLRELOADER195
    5lb R22 Item #: ALLRELOADER225

If there is room left.

Mike

We should have enough here if not over. I will add it up in the morning and see where we are for sure. It's 1am and I can't even type now, good nite.

Andy

Well we are over some, or even quite a bit.
    So if you have not paid yet "don't" till you talk to me!

I may do a 2nd order, when this one is all set or even over. I was shocked by the numbers that want in.

If another member wants to do an order sooner I'm happy to help or walk you through it. It has not been hard other than keeping forum names, email addresses, and real names decoded. It can be like talking to 3 times the people and tracking down who wants what.

Andy

Thumbs up Thanks to all!

I put the order in and it should be on its way to Fife Washington as I type. I had more than the 50 pound limit paid for so I went on and placed it so it comes in sooner. I will keep updates posted here as I get them. Thanks to everyone since without other buyers trust I would not have been able to get this done.

For those that did not get in I'm planning on a 2nd order when this one is in. I had to cut some of what I wanted to round it down to the 50 pound mark, so I still need some more myself.

If someone wants to do an order I would be happy to show you how and help with the contacts. It's not hard and there is still enough guys needing powder here to fill a couple of orders that I heard from.

Andy

I'm interested in making up an order myself. From the time you place the order how long it take to get it here to alaska. My reason for asking is I work on the slope and i'm wondering if I should order just before I leave for work or if I can order as soon as I get home. I work a 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Now thatís a hard question. From what I have been told the barg takes around 10 days from Fife WA. to Anchorage. The hitch is how long will the order sit in Fife before the next barge brings it up. I don't think Lynden would mind hanging on to it if they know youíre on a shift at the Slope. I would say best bet is to call them and hash it out.

Lynden Anchorage
    907-276-4800
    http://www.lynden.com/ltia/contacts/anchorage.html

Andy

Thumbs up Powder is in Fife Washington, getting closer.

I had called Lyndon in Fife about 8am yesterday (1-15-09) and gave them a heads up that it was due there that day. Gave then the tracking info and all my info so it would get handled without a hitch. They said the barge was to go out about 10pm on that same day. I have not heard back from Lyndon but UPS tracking says it was delivered to them at 10:31am.

So with a bit of luck it may even be on the water on the way up, may also be sitting on the dock till the next barge. I will call Fife in the morning and check on it, Iíll let yawl know what I find out.

Andy

back in town ordered a new gun and lookes like no dealer has place any kind of order for powder. like I said is anyone interested in ordering another load of powder I am I will talk research what it will take and will up front order if needed just returened home and tired of looking at empty shelves is there anyone interested in joining in on a order I live in the valley but will be in for a anchorage order.

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Thumbs up Powder is in!

Just got a call from Lyndon is Anchorage, they have it. I will go in and get it tomorrow then start getting hold of everyone to settle up.

Seawolf, if you need any help with how to order just let me know.

Andy

Thank you Andy, I would like your info and steps to place an order. I would like to work up an order as it looks to be the only way to get powder for my new rifle and some I need for what I have. If anyone is interested in joining in let me know I will handle it as Andy has as he did a great job with his order. I did get the pm rlk7 and will add you in when I order my e mail is tigerbight at live dot com I will exchange phone # in private message

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    All right, been checking this out getting all set to do it and hears is the deal.

Someone had said the only reason suppliers in the 48 powder don’t ship powder to Alaska is they don’t know how. This is 100% wrong! USPS & FedEx don’t take gun powder at all, no way no how. UPS will only do it for large business under a strict hazmat contract, no suppliers I have found have this contract and I called about 20. Without this advance setup that an individual can’t get UPS is also no way no how.

Andy
    That was me. And I wrote a little bit more than that if you go back to the thread and read it. The shipper needs to have two documents to go with the package if it is any hazmat going air, that is the hazardous materials declaration (document that states package has a hazmat and what it is), and the shippers declaration of hazardous materials (document that declares the package meets the requirement for air transportation). Now I do not remember the EXACT wording of the two docs, but they are virtually the same-same but have very different meanings as I put in the parenthesis for you. Continental shippers just don't want to bother with it all. Some will.

Did you call the UPS Haz-Mat center? Did they tell you that? Or was it the flunky who answered the 800-number at UPS? Or, God forbid, did you call a UPS Store? Just curious. I have a UPS account and had several containers of quite flammable liquids flown in via Next Day Air awhile back. I will have to call UPS and ask.

FEDEX will take smokeless power only in the continental US because anything coming to Alaska, again, comes up via air, and they appear to have specifically targeted flammable solids 4.1 (the designation for smokeless), for exclusion. Looks like more PC religion again and yet another reason to avoid FEDEX.

Quite a bit of research all depends on how you ask. If you call a general number you'll get a minimum wage flunky who doesn't know anything and when asked, "hey do you ship gunpowder?", you'll get a knee-jerk response. Or if you call a distributor and ask, "hey do you have this so-and-so contract?", they have no idea what you're talking about and again you'll get a knee-jerk response.

I remember having some yocal at Cabela's telling me loaded ammo couldn't go via air "because the planes are depressurized and the primers fall out". Yeah, real geniuses.

I lost several years of my life attempting to communicate with the ordering departments at Fischer Scientific, Sigma-Aldrich, JT Baker, Mallinkrodt, Spectrum Chemical, and many others when ordering for the lab and a proposed rocketry program that never flew. It amazed me the depths of ignorance of people who, being in the positions they were, should have known better.

If you want to know more, educate yourself here:
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...49:2.1.1.3.7.2
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast