Thread: Sako l57

Default Sako l57

There is a SAKO L57 in 243 for sale on G.A. for what looks like a very reasonable price, was the action on the L57 MAUSER or SAKO?

Thumbs up Sako .243win

Quote Originally Posted by pahoghunter View Post
    There is a SAKO L57 in 243 for sale on G.A. for what looks like a very reasonable price, was the action on the L57 MAUSER or SAKO?
    Pretty darn certain that this is going to be a SAKO Short Action. Good accurate & reliable rifles... later tweaked into what was called called the Forester Model. These were some of the early guns available that popularized the .243 WIN.

The Sako L57, Sako's own designed mid length action, came about in 1957 for the 308, 243 and 220 Swift. This was Sako's first mid length action. Before they had only the L46 (1946) for 7x33, 218 Bee and the 22 Hornet.

This L57 evolved into the L579 about 1960 and that was known as the Forrester model as Brian mentioned. These guns were very well made with smooth accurate barrels, in calibers 220 Swift, 22-250, 243 and 308. This L579 was the action used by Browning for their mid-length Safari grade rifles, the long action for Browning was the FN Mauser. This action later became the A-II in 1979.

I can't say what an L57 is worth as collector appeal fluctuates greatly. I don't see as many of them for sale as I used to but the common 243 would be lower priced than a Swift. The L57 guns to me are much more of a collectors gun, even though they are still solid shootable rifles, it's just that the trigger and safety and closed bolt shroud of the A-II
    is much more appealling to me. At $500-$550 this gun is a good buy, however.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?