Thread: Recurve Bow string

Default Recurve Bow string

I have a 58" 55# Bear recurve. The string is starting to fray and needs to be replaced. I went to sportsmans and they did not have one. They told me to call a bow shop on the hillside and the bow shop told me to call a local custom Bow string maker. Is there a reason to buy a custom string? I have not checked but I assume that a custom string would cost more than one off of the shelf. Where else in anchorage should I check for a sting off the shelf?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up

I've bought a coulple strings from 3 rivers archery and have been impressed with the quality.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/

Default String

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I have a 58" 55# Bear recurve. The string is starting to fray and needs to be replaced. I went to sportsmans and they did not have one. They told me to call a bow shop on the hillside and the bow shop told me to call a local custom Bow string maker. Is there a reason to buy a custom string? I have not checked but I assume that a custom string would cost more than one off of the shelf. Where else in anchorage should I check for a sting off the shelf?
    Be sure the string you purchase is designed for your bow. Some older bows aren't designed for Fast Flight type strings. I use a Flemish string on my longbow and a daycron on my recurve. I'm not sure what the specs are for your bows strings; just a thought.
    Good Luck !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

measure your string from loop to loop so you can get the actual string length, (amo runs 3 to 4"es shorter, actual length is much gooder)...figure out how many strands it is. I can make ya one if you cover the shipping out of b50. 2 or 3 ply is fine..have a bunch of different colors. Also try and figure out what you have for serving. Is it black? or is it nylon? Do you have a flemish twist or an endless loop. I dont do endless loop strings.

Otherwise 3 rivers is a good choice...or champion custom bow strings (www.recurves.com) Believe it or not Chad makes a living building strings and selling a few bows on the side and nothing else. That should say something....not to mention he's one helluva guy!!!

You could also try and get ahold of Brian Stewart, straight flight arrow company. If he doesnt have one he can get you squared away. I'm in Fairbanks for what its worth.

Dan
    tradbow@hotmail.com

I do not know the specs of my bow but I would assume it is not a fast flicht bow. It is a 30 year old Bear Kodiak bow. Someone more knowlegeable with bows and strings will have to help me fill in the rest. I have had the bow for years, my dad baught it before I was born, but I am new to bow hunting. I bought a string and arrows for it 8-10 years ago and got good enough to hit a pie plate consistantly at 30-40 yards. Then I put it into the closet and it has not been used since.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

those guys over at Sportsmans dont know a thing about Recurves at all. I went in there and asked them the same thing about my pearson recurve and they all had dumb looks on thier faces. I would try talking to Paul at archers den, hes got some knowlegable long/recurve guys there and he can get you all set up. Or go over and talk to Bill at backcountry, he knows quite a bit about recurve too.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    those guys over at Sportsmans dont know a thing about Recurves at all. I went in there and asked them the same thing about my pearson recurve and they all had dumb looks on thier faces. I would try talking to Paul at archers den, hes got some knowlegable long/recurve guys there and he can get you all set up. Or go over and talk to Bill at backcountry, he knows quite a bit about recurve too.
    I called Bill at backcountry and he pointed me to a local string maker. Just wanted to educate my self about the pros and cons first.

a custom bow string shouldn't cost more than 10.00/12.00 bucks,,,
    when you do find what you need (i would imagine an endless loop for your re curve)
    it would be a good idea to buy at least two or three..
    and be sure to keep your string waxed, that will add lots of life to it..
    trad gear is a blast,,one thing about it if you start hunting with a re curve you will darn sure find out how good of a hunter you really are...and if you are hitting pie plates at 30/40 yards with a re curve then you are a natural,, and should do well at more conventional hunting ranges of 20/25 yards ..
    there is a great deal of tinkering and tuning involved with trad gear,
    arrow weight/spine weight/brace height/archers paradox/form/your release/your draw/ your anchor..and much more..
    all must be tuned with each other to achieve perfect flight for your arrow.. and you must be able to learn and do all this yourself. the nice thing is that it can all be easily learned and is very rewarding once you do.. it sounds like a great way to honor your father by using his old bow.. i have many bows my father has left me, mere words cannot describe the feeling i have when i head out into the field with one of the old mans bows..
    i just wish they could talk and be able to tell about all the great hunts they went on with dad..
    good luck,, the rewards are many if you stick with it..here is a great place to start for tuning purposes..
    http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm
    PS i sent you a PM

cost lmao...is free good enough?

ps that is definatly a b50 string!!!

Lastly...you may wish to learn to build your own strings. It's EASY! there are some decent videos on the subject and for about the price of 3 strings you could be building many. Thats the board, some nails and 2 spools of b50. It goes quite aways. Dont forget serving and a serving tool.

If you get the itch there is some good videos out there. 2 in particular, a 3rd is kinda ok. One is crafting the flemish string the other is 'doin the twist'. Try three rivers or for the 2nd one www.recurves.com I am a little partial to the second, Chad is a great friend and will help you in anyway he can! his video does both flemish twist with and without a jig, and endless loop. The first video is the one I learned on an also a very good choice. Other then the backtwist everything you'll need including plans and materials list are in the first one. Just one of those things you can control yourself and never be without again...ever!

Tradbow, I ordered a few from Chad after I talked with him for a minute.

You wont go wrong with him! he'll help you anyway he can, for new strings or learning how to build them, or just talking stickbowhunting goodies. One of the few great men amongst us...Many talk the talk, very few can walk it too. If you still want a string let me know. Mine are definatly not as snazy as his but they'll work and they're cheap . Or if you want maybe we can get together sometime and I can teach ya how I build if ya find yourself up here or myself down that way. The videos will teach ya what ya need without anymore help. But if you're like me seeing first hand always is a big help.

If you're not already, become a member of Traditional Archers of Alaska. They don't have a following up here but they do down there. We tried up here a few years ago with very very little interest. The same group of guys getting together anyways, few saw a point in spending more money to make it 'official'. It's a shame, sure would be nice but like most people in the interior, summers are booked solid and winters are spent trying to not freeze, ice fish, sled, shoot, build some arras, and watch some hockey...gooooo NOOKS!