Thread: 7 x 57 load data

Default 7 x 57 load data

I've been reloading for many years with great success. Now, along comes a new source of confusion. I'm just preparing to load for 7 x 57 model 95 Chilean Mauser. My number 8 Speer manual suggests a starting load of 50.0 gr of 4831 and a max load of 54 gr under 145 gr bullet. On their web sight Hogdon suggests starting load of 47.0 gr and a max load of49.5 gr of H4831 under 140 gr bullet. I have other manuals that are all different. What's a mother to do? Now I'm not looking to create a super duper whiz bang, just a cheap, handy little truck rifle for vermin and maybe a deer in the laurel thickets. Would one of you set me strait on a safe starting load? Thanks in advance for any and all offerings.

Default Loads

Quote Originally Posted by patcharooskie View Post
    I've been reloading for many years with great success. Now, along comes a new source of confusion. I'm just preparing to load for 7 x 57 model 95 Chilean Mauser. My number 8 Speer manual suggests a starting load of 50.0 gr of 4831 and a max load of 54 gr under 145 gr bullet. On their web sight Hogdon suggests starting load of 47.0 gr and a max load of49.5 gr of H4831 under 140 gr bullet. I have other manuals that are all different. What's a mother to do? Now I'm not looking to create a super duper whiz bang, just a cheap, handy little truck rifle for vermin and maybe a deer in the laurel thickets. Would one of you set me strait on a safe starting load? Thanks in advance for any and all offerings.
    There are 2 kinds of 4831,(H-4831 & IMR-4831) are you sure you are compareing apples to apples. The load from the Hogdons manual suggests 49.5 grains is a compressed load. Therefore it would be very difficult to get 5 additional grains in the case as in the Speer manual. With the new SC powders the case might hold more thoug

The military load of record for the 93/95 Mausers was a 173 grn bullet; most military mausers had a slight freebore and as such the 140 grn bullet might not be as accurate or regulated to your sights.
    I would suggest a starting load of 160 grn RNFB bullet with 46 grs of IMR-4831; provideing your rifle is still in the quality shape these rifle were originally known for.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by patcharooskie View Post
    I'm using the old original 4831 which is slower than anything today, so I'm not even going to give you my charges. There's that much difference between all the various versions of 4831. I will say that at M-95 velocities it's hard to beat the Hornady 175 grain RN for accuracy and performance on game. My second favorite is the Hornady 154 grain version. They expand well and hold together nicely.

I use 51.0 IMR 4831 with a 140 Nosler Partition. I've got a modern Win 70, though. I don't know if that load would be suitable for a 95.

Default 7 x 57 load data

Thanks Brav01, Brownbear, and Akroadkill for your quick response (and help). Ive been searching the books and it appears that ALL max loads suggested are well beyond what you could cram into the 7 x 57 case. FYI the lyman Reloader-s Handbook 42nd edition (2nd printing Sept. 1960) stipulates that max charges be reduced by 2.0 grains for 1893-1896 Mausers. 4831 (not H-4831 and not IMR-4831) max load would not fit into the case no matter how you tried to compress it. Since I still have a pound of 4831 brand Hodgdon rifle powder in the red and black metal can, I tried it and it won't go. I'll reduce the recommended starting loads by 2.0 grains as well and go from there. Thanks again, Joe

I have hand load books going back to the 1960s. The loads listed for the 7x57mm Mauser seem to be getting lighter and lighter every few years.
    Two reasons. 1. Lawyers... 2. Some of the old rifles are now 40 MORE years older.
    The M93 and M95 Mauser actions are not nearly as strong as the later M-98.
    I have been handloading the 7x57mm since 1970. Unfortunately most of my early interest was in making it shoot fast. Fortunately my first couple rifles were M98s.

Lately I have been getting into the older Mausers and shooting for accuracy, plus rifle preservation.

I noticed that the free bore in my older Mausers was much longer than the newer rifles. As has already been pointed out.
    The bores in my older Mausers also seem to like the heavier flat based bullets. Maybe they are slightly over sized in the bre or just worn out.
    For lower pressure loads mine seem to like these loads for accuracy but with still enough velocity to be a good hunting round.
    REMEMBER EVERY OLD RIFLE IS DIFFERENT, so my loads may not be safe in your rifle.

All loads using CCI-200 primers and WW virgin brass.

120 grains Hornady Spire Point: Loaded to 3.00 COL
    43 to 44 grains IMR- 4064. It seems to shoot ok as long as I load them long and use a Lee Crimp die.

145 grain bullets
    48.0 grans IMR-4831
    47.0 grains H-4831
    40.0 grains IMR-4064

150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Boat-Tail
    47.0 grains IMR-4350.
    This load moves right along from a long M1895 barrel. It also shot a half inch group. I would not go any hotetr in a 95 action, although I use two and a half more grains in a M98 action.

154 grain Hornady Spire Point flat base. (old rifles seem to like this bullet)
    38.0 grains IMR-4064 (2,500 fps and a one hole group)
    48.0 grains H-4831 (2,500 fps and 3/4 inch group)

160 grain flat base or 162 grain boat-tail. My 95s hate boat-tails.
    45.0 grains IMR-4350. While the M-98s will take more, this is about as far as I want to push the 95s. 43-44 grains works darn near as well with less pressure.
    44.0 to 44.5 grains H-4831. Same precaution as above. Doe snot seem to have as much pressure and is really accurate.

175 grain Round Nose flat base. I tried the 175 grain Sierra Boat tails and they went all over the place..
    44 to 46 grains of H-4831 MAX for older Mausers
    43.0 grains H-4831 grains feels much safer in the old gals and groups pretty well.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default 7 x 57 Load Data

Thanks Floatplane. That is a wealth of info. My rifle has already been chopped to 24 in. so I'll settle for less but it's not all about velocity.Thank you very much and happy loading and shooting to you. Joe

What type of brass are you using?

Default 7 x 57 Load Data

Float Pilot, sorry I missed your name. I'm using new R-P brass. I know it is thicker so will take that into the equation. Have you loaded any cast bullets. I have not but think it would make sense for this project. Thanks again. Joe

Not for the 7x57mm.
    BUT.. I am looking for some right now because I have a 7mm Vz24 with a shot out barrel. Its either that or re-barrel it.

The Rem brass seems kinda hard and thick to me. And it seems like it holds less powder.

In April 2008 Handloader, 7x57 brass was compared:

Federal weighed 190.0gr with water capacity of 56.5
    Remington 190.7 57.2 water capacity 57.2
    Winchester 168.3 water capacity 59.5

with identical charges WW gave significanly less velocity, but of course you can ultimately put more powder in a WW and increase velocity.

This, primers, the age/type of rifles means load data is all over the place. For instance, hornady actually shoot their 6.5x55 data in a 96 mauser with a 30inch barrel that has to be at least 80 years old and is likely a lower pressure load than one shot using a pressure barrel.

Ideally load with an eye on the chrono.

I have a 1912 Chilean which is a M98 and usually load 160grains with h4350 or imr4350 to about 2650

I was recenly given 100 139 grain hornady. and tried with imr4064. 42.5 gave 2796 which is 3 grains under max in the manual. Accuracy is good, recoil is nil. I believe that the bearing surface of these bullets is short hence the velocity for a mild load.

Sammi is 46000 cup for older mausers such as the 95. I belive float pilot has a collection of older mauser and may be able to advise for a M95. Some manuals will provide loads safe for th 95

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck