Thread: Looking for wolf mitten supplier

Default Looking for wolf mitten supplier

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine got a really nice pair of wolf mittens when he was in Alaska last year - they are full fur with only leather palms. They might be called "over mittens".

Anyway, would anyone know of a supplier for wolf mittens? I'd like a pair or two.

And, what does a good quality wolf skin sell for now, I am interested in buying one.

Thanks

Louis

Tanned wolf you will pay between 250 and 600 all depends on color thickness and what the trapper wants to sell it for. You can get 2 pair of mitts out of one skin and probably have enough left for a ruff. If you use your hide it will be around 150-200 per pair of mitts.

Default try here

Louis,

Check out the following link...I think you may find what you're looking for.

http://www.alaskaspiritcrafts.com/id8.html

Default wolf mittens

I think that you can get a pair thrugh denali fur and leather in wasilla. I dont know the number, but if you cant find the number let me know and I will get it for you. He has made me two otter hats and a couple of pairs of bever slippers.

Ishobie, My wife is an avid skin sewer she gets all my fur. I know she has some wolves in the fur room but I wont commit to her making them without knowing what she has on her plate. Send me a Pm if you are interested and I can talk with her about your needs or desires.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default fur

otterman I have allways wanted to try and sew my own fur hat do you think you could ask your wife where I could get a pattern. I have the fur and the time but no pattern.

Thanks otterman.

Alaska Fur Exchange use to have some.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter300saum View Post
    otterman I have allways wanted to try and sew my own fur hat do you think you could ask your wife where I could get a pattern. I have the fur and the time but no pattern.

Thanks otterman.
    Just recently made my own coyote hat. Pattern and deer hide lining came from Black elk leather on old seward.

Good project on a to cold to do anything outside day.

Default hats and mitts

Otterman's wife's work is QUALITY work, She does an excellent job.

I am going to add a little bit to this so you al l get some education. I know just what you wanted to go to school . I talked with the USF&W yesterday over the issue of not just shipping wolf made items to other countries but any fur items and the results were a bit staggering. The end result was to ship a wolf made pr of mitts to Canada the country with the most liberal regualtions would have added between $300 and $400 to the cost of the mits included 3 diffenrent permits and a mess of papaerwork. However for someone from Canada to come here and buy a pair of wolf mits then take them home was absolutley no problem. The end results for us we will not be doing international sales anytime in the near furture. Some countries have huge issues not just with fur items but walrus, whale bone and many other types of crafts sold throughout the state and do not have the rules allowing a person to buy it here and simply take it home. As the officer told me that he tells local chambers of commerace and such. Sell someone from Europe an item that gets confiscated in customes and what does that person remember about his trip to Alalska not anything but how he got ripped out of a few hundred or even thousnad dollars even though the intent may not have been there on the sellers part. So to wrap this up just keep this in mind if you are ever in the situation of selling furs in any form to someone from out of the country.
    Now on to the second part of the class. For those wanting patterns without sounding like a turd. Traditional patterns are for the most part very protected by families. there are some very specific rules about use or copy of an artist ideas. I am sorry but my wife does not give up patterns to anyone other than immediate family memmebers with a few exceptions. However her patterns are very similar to any of the ones you can buy at Black Elk or Ak fur Exchange. The secret of a good sewer is not just in the patterns, it is also the quality of the work, the ability to match up fur colors and spending the time to make the product right. I can not tell you how many times I have seen her near tears when she discovered a simple flaw in a piece of fur on a product almost completed. It gets ripped apart tossed on the floor occasssionaly stomped on and then a new piece is cut and put in place. Ok I have gotten long winded but figured i should let you all know a bit on how it works.

Thanks for the info, I remember now about the BS rules and regs when it comes to shipping across the boarder.

I understand about the patterns as well.

I have bought some coyote and wold locally and will make my own mittens in the next couple of weeks. I also bought a book of patterns from a shop in edmonton - so that will make life simple.

Thanks.

Louis

Louis glad you found what you needed you will find making your own can be very satisfying