Thread: Rain Pants question

Default Rain Pants question

I am in the middle stages of planning a to AK for fishing. Obviously, rain is a consideration.

Here is my plan- I am looking at suggestions

During the day, I am going to be in waders fishing. I am looking at the Marmot Precip jacket for the top. Between these 2, I should be good to go in about all conditions. (yes I understand the layering system). What I am looking at is when I am not fishing and the weather gods are ugly. I really don't want to spend my time in waders nor indoors and am looking at a set of rain pants that wont break the bank but will fill the requirements for the conditions in AK. I have a set of Frog Toggs but I just don't see those working real well. They are great if on a boat or in snag free conditions, I just don't see that recycled newspaper with wax holding up to harsh backcountry conditions.

Any suggestions? I looked at the Marmot precip rain pants and quite honestly, I am not sold on them. I may be way off base though as I have never tried them. I could care less if the pants don't match the jacket. I am looking for something that is lightweight and strong.

I have searched these threads, found limited info on rain pants suggestions.

Mark

Consider a wading jacket over the Marmot jacket. It has pockets to hold your fly boxes, lures, etc... If you are in a regular jacket, how will you get to your fishing gear? This works great over a pair of waders. The ones I use for my float trips is below and it is very functional. Lots of pockets, waterproof, and packs very small when not in use.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

I should mention, the Marmot stuff is awesome. My favorite jacket is Marmot, but for fishing, there are better options in my opinion.

Something you should mention is about your intended usage. Hiking around the Kenai fishing, on a boat, an extended remote float trip, etc... The choices will vary depending on this.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan,

I actually thought about that. I am trying to keep the rain gear to one system, unless I am offbase, I don't think that the shorten wader jacket would cover down to to the top of the rain pants unless they are bibs, when not fishing. I was thinking that even wearing the Marmot jacket, I have a Williams and Joseph chest pack that I would be wearing over the top of it which would solve the issues that you bring up....

Then again, I am concerned that I will be chest deep in water which tosses the jacket out and brings back in the wader jacket.....but I just can't see me in chest deep water. I avoid that at almost all cost.

I have all about made a decision to leave th fly vest at home. They are fun but not practical in the back country. As far as they types of fishing, it will be mostly smaller streams, we do have a 4 day backpack on the Russian. Other then that I am working out of a gear bag and doing simple day hikes. A float trip is a possiblility, and a quick trip to Kodiak for a day fish is in the cards as well.

I think I have the top half solved, just need to get the bottom half. Unless you bring up some stuff that I am completly missing.

Mark

For the kind of trip you have planned, you will be fine. I suspect you will have a backpack to carry a rain jacket it. I use a fly vest all the time and would not leave it behind. I got a cheapo from Cabelas that has pockets big enough to hold waterproof C&F boxes (awesome boxes). Mesh all the way around and a large zip pocket in the small of the back for cramming the wading jacket in. I don't use the mesh vest for hot weather use like it is intended, but so it will dry fast and not weigh much when wet. I throw it on top of my wading jacket, or my fleece pullover if the wading jacket is not on. Works great. Do NOT go out to your chest. You seem wise to this but I had to mention it. I never go out higher than my hips. Also because I don't want to get my S&W 500 wet

I got something like this...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...451&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

are you going to be at a lodge/indoors at the end of each day? if on a float trip, i would not bring a regular thick wading jacket. i have a great orvis jacket, but when it gets wet on the inside for some reason, with alaska temps, it won't dry overnight. unlike a marmot precip which will. if you can hang it indoors, then no problem.

for pants, i have the full zip marmot precip pants and they work great. the frog toggs work great, except if you plan on busting brush. there are helly hansens, etc out there, but they are not "light". rei brand rain pants work well too.

i forgot, i also have an ultralight cabelas brand camo'd waterproof jacket, that works great. not that breathable, but if it is for a fishing trip, it will work great. they have pants to match (i don't have those). they are very lightweight, so if busting a lot of brush, not sure i would wear these pants.
    Last edited by hre814; 01-05-2009 at 19:06. Reason: extra info

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    if on a float trip, i would not bring a regular thick wading jacket. i have a great orvis jacket, but when it gets wet on the inside for some reason, with alaska temps, it won't dry overnight. .
    You need another wading jacket. The one I have dries when you shake it. No material to hold water. Perfect for extended trips. If wet, I just shake it off and throw it over some willows, shell side up. Or if not very wet, I just ball it up in a corner of the tent.

you're right, i do need another wading jacket. my orvis jacket though is typical of jackets i have seen around, to include simms, etc. it works great up here on a day to day use for fishing. it has a typical waterproof membrane taped interior. i was very disappointed in its lack of drying in 50 degree weather.

This model was the first one I had ever used, so I did not realize the differences. I just got it because it packed small (into itself). Volume and weight are such a big issue when packing for our float trips. I would not dare take a trip without this wading jacket. I usually just throw a lightweight (mostly mesh) fly vest on top of it. If I don't need the wading jacket, I cram it in the large pocket on the back of the mesh fly vest. In either situation, I always have both with me and the vest (with all tools/flies/etc..) is my outer layer so I can get to everything. When not fishing, I put the fly vest (remember, this has all flies/tools/leaders/etc..) and the wading jacket in a mesh duffle bag that holds all rod tubes and a dry bag with reels and some extra fly boxes. That way it is all accesible yet out of the way. This is about as weather proof as I have ever needed to be and we are floating arctic rivers in the fall. I say to hell with rain pants for fishing. You already have waders. I do suggest nice breathable waders with some polartec bottoms under them and thick wool socks. Very comfortable. Get a good wading jacket and call it a day. That is how I do it anyway. Good thing about the fly vest and wading jacket is that it rides high enough to be off your gun. You can see how I use it in the image below.

Default Precip rain pants?

If I understand your question about rain pants correctly, then here are two things I'd consider:
    1. I've worn a Marmot Precip jacket in town for 3 years - and been surprised at how well it's performed. It's a good looking, light jacket I never expected to perform as well as it has. I just picked up a Precip Plus jacket for field use this fall.

2. Brian M, a moderator on these forums, is also a fan of Marmot Precip - and I think he'd prefer the Precip jacket and pants for sheep hunts instead of HH Impertech.

If my requirements did not require brush/rock proof toughness, I personally wouldn't hesitate to go with the Precip rain pants.

If you're interested in other options, consider some of the gear Buck Nelson used (http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Back...st_Review.html) including rain pants by Red Ledge (Thunderlight Full Zip). And if you have questions about the conditions - send him a PM. He's a member of these forums and seems willing (and certainly qualified!) to offer advice.

Now is a great time to look for end-of-season sale prices on many gear items. Good luck.

I looked at the Precip tops & bottoms and decided they weren't for me. I ended up buying Cabela's "Ultrapack" pullover & pants and have been happy with them. One small rip in the pants from a week of off-trail use, which is not bad for such lightweight gear. They're small enough when packed that I bring them everywhere.

I wouldn't call them "heavy duty", though they're better than Frogg Toggs.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Pants - tough to beat Helly Hansen Impertech bibs. Magic stuff, stretches, bulletproof, lifetime warranty. I think they still make it in a regular pant too. Wore these for 4 months every day as a tech with ADF&G for years at a time. Not breathable.

Jacket - Patagonia SST. Expensive, but very nice/comfy/etc. Hood config is the bomb. Wrists seal up tight. Loop at waist to part the flyrod in. Waterproof zippered pocket inside the giant chest pocket.