Thread: POW Island Bear Hunt Clothing

Default POW Island Bear Hunt Clothing

I am headed to POW Island for black bear May 10 thru 16. I am trying to get the proper clothing together. I already have hip boots, Kool-dri 3/4 length parka. What will the weather be like? Will I need base layers? If so How thick? I need some specific info on clothing only, everything else I'm good on.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McDonald View Post
    .....What will the weather be like?......
    It will rain.

Default And rain

And Hail
    then rain some more!

Default and then....

blow sideways for a little while with some micro bursts in-between.....

Great outer rain gear like impretech.

then layers with a medium weight base layer....

don't forget about good head gear...

Greg

Did anyone mention rain yet? You didn't say if you are hunting from a boat or the road system, but either way you may wish to have a knee high rubber boot like extratufs to go along with your hip boots. Hippers are OK but not always great to walk long distance in. Bib style rain pants would be good too, especially if using the knee high boots.

Medium and lightweight layers are good at that time of year.

Default Springtime

You got hipboots and a raincoat. Bring some extra-tuff rubber boots. I would have some rainpants too. By that time of year I am out of the long underwear. I would have a pile jacket to wear or a wool coat. I have been on POW that time of year in a tee-shirt but you better count on some rain. It wont be that cold.

The last 2 springs you needed Snowshoes to hunt the uplands in mid-May .... and out in a skiff was real refreshing.

These pics were on the 10th .....

and it really didn't warm up much by the 16th .....

I needed sunblock the last week of May, never saw a drop of rain! Unusual, everyone told me prepare for rain every second of every day - which is my advice. Good rain gear, not breathable stuff.

Although I'm a big fan of Helly Hansen Impertec rain gear, I'm not too fond if it for hunting in southeast Alaska. Devils club thorns go right through it. I like the commercial grade of Helly Hansen, or Grundens rain gear for SE AK, dark green color. Also, a pair of Extra Tough boots. Extra toughs are about the most quiet foot gear for stalking along a beach. Hip waders aren't a bad idea if you have deep creeks and lagoons to cross.
    Mark

Not a whole lot to add. It can rain anytime and for a long time. I was there in August for three days and had two hours total that it didnít rain. Thereís a reason everyone on that island owns a pair of Xtra-tuffs.

I would agree with getting a good pair of commercial HH or Grunden rainbibs or similar rain pants. The vegetation is thick if you get off the beach, and youíll want something to stand up to it. Also, keep a roll of electrical tape in your pocket or pack. In a pinch you can tape your rain pants around your Xtra-tuffs at your ankles if you have to ford a stream unexpectedly and your hip boots are back at the boat/truck.

You might consider bringing a pair of fleece pants and shirt/jacket. They would be good base layers beneath your raingear if it is cool, and you can wear them solo to hunt if you have DonVís luck.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default rarely nice

I seen some of DonV's weather also ....

Actually after DonV left it started raining again and rained all year .... the total was over 160 " for the year ......

These pics were on May 24th ..... nice day for a Beach B-B-Q and being checked out by a pod of Killer's at close range !!!!!

But many of the upland spur roads were still closed by deep snow !!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Johnnie, I stalk bears just like you are doing in that pict.

I hunted POW last spring. Not sure what your specific deal is, but we had a cabin and two 16í skiffs. So I was able to bring a lot more gear then normal.

I brought 2 pairs of KOM wool paints. 2 under armor light weight t-shirts, a wool and one fleece button down shirt. A wool vest and jacket. I also had helly hansen impertech rain gear. I wore all of it. There were days when I had on all wool with my rain gear and I was still cold out on the skiff. Other days I hunted in a t-shirt and got sunburn!

Be prepared for anything.

Another note: my hip waders took a leek on the 2nd or 3rd day. This was a major set back since we were hunting out of a skiff. I walked around the rest of the week with a soaking wet left foot. Make sure you bring a pair of knee high rubber boots for back up. You might also want to test them before you go.

You should also consider rubber gloves. They work great out there.

Good luck

Default POW Clothing

I'm still pretty new to POW but starting to get things figured out. I think I've figured out how to stay dry, but still working on staying dry and being quiet at the same time for hunting. Grundens or Impertech can keep the rain out, but if you are trying to sneak through the woods they can be noisy scraping against the brush. I'm going to look into some more traditional types of wool clothing to combat this.

Default Ditch the hipboots

Best Combo for wet weather bear hunting, in and out of a skiff etc. is breathable waders (I love my sims) and an impertech jacket or something similar. Like someone said above, devils club can ruin a good set, JUST BE CAREFUL!

Default POW

I gave up on Impertech unless I was camping alpine and needed to shed weight. Good ol regular HellyHansen will hold up to the thick stuff but it also keeps you warmer than Impertech. It lets the moisture out alot better and you don't get that clammy feeling. A couple light layers under that you can pull if you need to.
    The electrician's tape for a piece over the end of your barrel is an ol S.E. trick too. Dang I'm ready to fly back down and dance in the rain!!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.