Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buffalo Bore Ammo in S&W 460

I have only shot 460 ammo out of my S&W and I have the same problem. Never had the cylindar not spin but the shells expand and are a b*tch to get out. Talked with another guy who had the same problem and he took his to a gun smith and everything checked out fine but it still has cartridge stick every once in a while. I currently shoot Hornadays and have had less trouble. Didn't know you could shoot 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Didn't know you could shoot 45ACP
    You can if you can find the little "C" clips that snap on the case and make a rim. Got mine from MidwayUSA but can't find them now that they revamped the site. I also here someone is doing a mod to the cylinder to take a 5 round star clip but I don’t know anything about who, how, or whatnot.

You can also fire a 44 (.451”) caliber cap-n-ball type round ball with a bit of Bulseye or Unique (4 grins of Bulseye for me) in the 45 caliber brass of your choice. It’s a great little bunny getter and very inexpensive shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Switching powders in reloads from the sooty H110/W296 to LilGun has helped a bunch also I believe, it gives me same power cleaner and with less pressure.
    Lil'Gun is my favorite powder, but I've heard tons of reports of it burning up forcing cones and flame cutting (more so than other powders). I have noticed that my barrel gets super hot when I use it. Of course, that's why I bought a gun with a lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL_Alaska View Post
    I guess that just means that, as advertized, it's 'max pressure' stuff. Probably within safety limits thought - I hope!...

What percentage of short ammo vs .460 do you guys shoot. The fact that they advertize shooting both was one of the big draws for me - I really like the LC...
    Buffalo Bore ammo boasts great ballistics because their loads are beyond SAAMI specs, so "probably" safe is about as good as you can get with them. These great ballistics are only great if they operate in your gun.

I didn't full take advantage of the other calibers that the 460 shoots, so I have since moved to the S&W 500. I can load it just as light as the 460, or well beyond it, all the while making a bigger hole. Both guns will take any animal on the planet.

Default 460

I haven't shot anything out of mine but 460. I have the same problem with Hornady ammo.

would machineing of the cylinder help with the ammo sticking in the cylinder .. i sending my cylinder to the tk custom to have them do the four caliber convesion to make the revolver for a better all around hunting weapon .

Default Sticking Cases in the .460 Smith

I got up the nerve to shot another 3 rounds of BB in my Smith. Cylinder wouldn't turn after the 3rd shot. Found out that the primers were actually blown out of the case about 1/2 way and that was what was causing the clyinder not to turn (at least this time). (Still had to bang the cases out of the cylinder with a wooden dowl and hammer.) I went ahead and shot 20 rounds of 45LC with 250 gr lead bullets thru it on the theory that possibly the cylinder needs to be "polished" by shooting shorter rounds thru it. I found quite a bit of lead in the cylinder and barrel lands when cleaning.. but not sure if it came from the BBs or LCs, or both. We'll see what happens... sure would be great if it was possible to the engineers who actually designed/tested this gun for their opinon of how to break it in/care for it.

I got up the nerve to shot another 3 rounds of BB in my Smith. Cylinder wouldn't turn after the 3rd shot. Found out that the primers were actually blown out of the case about 1/2 way and that was what was causing the clyinder not to turn (at least this time). (Still had to bang the cases out of the cylinder with a wooden dowl and hammer.) I went ahead and shot 20 rounds of 45LC with 250 gr lead bullets thru it on the theory that possibly the cylinder needs to be "polished" by shooting shorter rounds thru it. I found quite a bit of lead in the cylinder and barrel lands when cleaning.. but not sure if it came from the BBs or LCs, or both. We'll see what happens... sure would be great if it was possible to the engineers who actually designed/tested this gun for their opinon of how to break it in/care for it.
    You are playing with a bomb man . . . please stop before someone gets hurt!! That ammo is making excessive pressure in your gun and should be taken apart or destroyed. Slightly sticky cases in a 460 is one thing, that can happen with safe loads. So sticky you must drive them out with a hammer is without doubt very dangerously over pressure as is the primers blowing out the back.

The excess pressure and leading are both likely because the cases are extending past the chamber as I said before.
    Last edited by Snyd; 01-29-2010 at 21:05. Reason: spelling... heart to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by barrowdave View Post
    I haven't shot anything out of mine but 460. I have the same problem with Hornady ammo.
    Got some more details on what itís doing, how bad itís sticking?

I have not used Hornady ammo or heard of any trouble with it. Stiff extraction with hot loaded (but within safe pressure) 460 ammo is well documented. The 460 is rated to 65,000psi and stiff extraction can start around 50,000psi. When it's so stiff that you can't push all 5 of them out using the extractor and your hand you may be on the ragged edge on pressure. I roll my own mostly and see no need to get that hot since at the 50,000psi range it will do anything I want. Corbon 390g cast loads at 1450fps (I think thatís the fps) are at the 50,000psi range and about all I would want or need to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    would machineing of the cylinder help with the ammo sticking in the cylinder .. i sending my cylinder to the tk custom to have them do the four caliber convesion to make the revolver for a better all around hunting weapon .
    Don't see how it would. Polishing or lapping the chambers may help, not sure though. Clean chambers and clean burning powder in your ammo is the best solution I have found, itís become a non issue for me as I learned the gun.

The reason BB is getting higher velocities than others is because they are running more pressure. Any of the reloading manuals say slightly sticky extraction, assuming clean chambers, is a sign of to much pressure. Andy is correct. Quit using that stuff. Having to pound the cases out with a dowel is risking losing parts of your hand. Brass flow on the case head is another sure sign of TOO MUCH PRESSURE. You really don't want to be the one to teach BB a lesson in court by suing for lost body parts. The extra few fps won't make a difference in the real world. Load your own, use Cor Bon or whatever doesn't show those pressure signs. BE SAFE!!!

Default Please be careful

You are playing with a bomb man . . . please stop before someone gets hurt!!
    +2... That's craziness.

Default 460 S&W Cylinder locks up

I have had trouble with the cylinder locking up, but it only occurs with full-power 460 ammo. I am using the Hornady 200 gr ammo and only firing a few rounds before this occurs.

Tim from Buffalo Bore looked into this and found there was a run of 460s built to tighter than usual specs that caused high pressures with the hottest ammo. As a result he reworked his 460 loads so BB would no longer be a problem in these extra tight guns. Itís my understanding that Hornady 460 ammo is very hot like BB was and would likely net the same problems in these guns. Nothing wrong with these guns or BB/Hornady hot ammo they are just not a match for each other.

Tim from Buffalo Bore looked into this and found there was a run of 460s built to tighter than usual specs that caused high pressures with the hottest ammo. As a result he reworked his 460 loads so BB would no longer be a problem in these extra tight guns. It’s my understanding that Hornady 460 ammo is very hot like BB was and would likely net the same problems in these guns. Nothing wrong with these guns or BB/Hornady hot ammo they are just not a match for each other.

IT may help to got to www.buffalobore.com and click on "Technical Articles" and then click on the article about using "Dangerous pure lead cowboy bullets" in ANY gun and then following by shooting higher pressure ammo in the gun that now has lead deposits in the chamber throats and barrel.

It is also true that the first production runs of S&W 460's had larger chamber throats, different forcing cones and slightly different/less restrictive barrels. Our first several batches of 460 ammo had no problems in any S&W revolvers, but suddenly (about a year ago) we started getting calls about sticky extractioin in S&W 460 revolvers. We took a look at the newer 460 S&W revolvers and found that S&W had indeed made the above referenced changes and ammo that had worked perfectly in the early 460's guns, was having pressure problems in the newer guns. To rectify the problem, we've simply reduced the powder charge in our 460 ammo, significantly--which does no good for the guys with older guns that dont exhibit pressure problems--some of those guys still want very hot ammo, but it is no longer available, at least not from BB.

The new BFR revelovers chambered in 460 are the very same as the early BFR's and you can use very hot ammo in them with no sticky extraction problems.

I went ahead and shot 20 rounds of 45LC with 250 gr lead bullets thru it on the theory that possibly the cylinder needs to be "polished" by shooting shorter rounds thru it. I found quite a bit of lead in the cylinder and barrel lands when cleaning.. but not sure if it came from the BBs or LCs, or both. We'll see what happens... sure would be great if it was possible to the engineers who actually designed/tested this gun for their opinon of how to break it in/care for it.
    We've seen so many problems caused by firing that pure lead cowboy ammo, that we did a small write-up about the dynamics of it. Please go to www.buffalobore.com and click on "Technical Articles" and then click on "Dangers of using pure lead cowboy bullets".

If you want the lowest pressure and most recent production of our 360gr. 460 ammo, it is the current ammo that is sitting on the shelf at Sportsmans Wharehouse. Sportsmans Wharehouse has none of the older BB 460 ammo.

You can if you can find the little "C" clips that snap on the case and make a rim. Got mine from MidwayUSA but can't find them now that they revamped the site. I also here someone is doing a mod to the cylinder to take a 5 round star clip but I donít know anything about who, how, or whatnot.
    http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver.asp
    About 1/2 page down.

This is the only area i will agree with Mr Sundies here in one area of about problems with the ammo can be linked to a tight cylinder chambers is that S&W has a habit of makeing a great product instead of leaveing the whole thing alone and they will start to mess with here and there changeing specs here and there and it start to mess with the way the weapon will handle high power loads ....

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    This is the only area i will agree with Mr Sundies here in one area of about problems with the ammo can be linked to a tight cylinder chambers is that S&W has a habit of makeing a great product instead of leaveing the whole thing alone and they will start to mess with here and there changeing specs here and there and it start to mess with the way the weapon will handle high power loads ....
    No kidding...what the heck is "scandium" anyway. (etc).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12