Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bore Ammo in S&W 460

Default Buffalo Bore Ammo in S&W 460

Has anyone had issues using Buffalo Bore ammo? I have used the 360 grain bullets in my S&W 460v and had problems with case extraction. In fact, I've had to use a screwdriver to get the cases out, and one time the cylinder locked up while shooting this cartridge...not good if Mr. Griz is running my way.

The impressive ballistics lead me to purchase Buffalo Bore (1900fps/2800ft/lbs+), but I refuse to endanger myself or damage my gun by using it.

On a side note, what .460 s&w loads do you guys use on big tough game? Thanks for the input.

have you been shooting 45 long colts thru your gun? If so could the cylinders have carbon deposits.

Can't help, but I do use the Buffalo Bore in my 500. Never had any troubles of any kind.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-49 View Post
    have you been shooting 45 long colts thru your gun? If so could the cylinders have carbon deposits.
    My thoughts exactly. I fire it in mine without a hitch

I have not fired 45 colt out of it, and I have only fired about 10 rounds of 454 with it...mainly because I heard of the problems that causes with case extraction. The rounds that I normally fire are Cor Bon 395gr hardcast, Cor Bon 275gr DPX, and Hornady 200gr bullets.

In total, only about 100 rounds have gone through the gun. I have zero problems with Cor Bon, the Hornady's start to get a little sticky after about 20 rounds, but nothing like the Buffalo Bore rounds...every Buffalo Bore round I have fired has had to be banged out.

I know the 460 is sturdy, but is this hurting my gun?

Quote Originally Posted by gritlife View Post
    I have not fired 45 colt out of it, and I have only fired about 10 rounds of 454 with it...mainly because I heard of the problems that causes with case extraction. The rounds that I normally fire are Cor Bon 395gr hardcast, Cor Bon 275gr DPX, and Hornady 200gr bullets.

In total, only about 100 rounds have gone through the gun. I have zero problems with Cor Bon, the Hornady's start to get a little sticky after about 20 rounds, but nothing like the Buffalo Bore rounds...every Buffalo Bore round I have fired has had to be banged out.

Contact buffalo bore they seem to be very helpfull when others had a problem with the lighter 44's. I think the core bons would do just fine an anything that breathes

Are the BB primers flat after firing? I think Cor Bon and BB use the same brass, has a 2 star head stamp. If so the BB loads may be over pressuring somehow since the Cor Bon extracts. I have never used BB but have had stiff extracts with 460 after just 2 loads of 454. try a good cleaning and see if it helps, but if your spent primers are flat don't shoot any more of that batch of BB!

Andy

Thanks for the info Andy. We'll see what Buffalo Bore has to say.

Don't waste your time. BB company policy is to blame you or your gun. Quote: "I have loaded millions of these rounds and you are the first to complain." This is what BB told me when I had multiple misfires using their product. Funny how I was able to run 8 different manufaturers products through my gun without a hiccup, but couldn't get through a cylinder of this crap. I have since moved on to the Garrett product, but unfortunately they do not load for the .460. Good luck with your answers. I believe you are correct in your assumptions considering my experiences.
    Chris

Thanks for the concern SC. I figured I'd call Buffalo Bore, though, and see what they had to say on the matter...no response yet, but they are snowed in right now. TBD.

Are there any other .460 shooters here (besides AKSpecialus) that shoot Buffalo Bore? What are your experiences?

Wow...No 460 Buffalo Bore people Anyways, I got a hold of Tim Sundles via email (apparently nobody checks the voicemail). He said that he had heard this before with the most recent batch of .460 ammo, but it would only be speculation as to the culprit. Tim went on to say how they test each batch of ammo and that there were no issues with their test guns--he suggested that it was possible that S&W was making 460's with tighter tolerances. No consolation was offered.

I think that I will send my 460 in to S&W to get checked out, because apparently other 460 owners can use Buffalo Bore ammo with no problems and I can't...either BB loads are inconsistent or the revolvers are.

I have had a similar problem with the hornady ammo in my smith and it is now back at S&W being looked at i was informed of some recall don't remember what it was for but the performance shop at smith said send it in and they will do a once over and check it out even sent me a shipping label to cover it.

Default BB Ammo

I also had the "jamming" problem w/ BB ammo in in .454 on a new clean gun (Ruger AK). Not only did the casings overexpand and not come out, I had several primers fail to ignite. I contacted BB---and was ignored. I have now switched to Corbon and have no problems. I would not trust BB with my life!!

I could very well be a problem with the BB ammo. However, since you experience it to a lesser degree with the Hornady it seems to indicate gun as at least part of the problem.

Here's one scenario, the gun is out of specification and acts up with the Hornady ammo that let's say is in specification. If we then assume the BB is somewhat out of specification the combination of both gun and ammo being out of spec makes for the really bad problem.

Best thing to do is have the gun checked out and go from there. You need to take this step because if the gun is out of spec you have no way to guarantee that the next lot of Cor-Bon or anything else you buy that works today will not jam at the worst possible moment. Maybe it doesn't jam now but jams in the summer when the temp is 80 degrees or the next lot you buy is a little hotter than the previous one.

Good thoughts, Jack. I am sending the gun in this week to have them give it a look.

I haven't shot BB ammo since this thread was started, so I have 1 1/2 boxes of ammo sitting at my house, waiting for word from S&W on what the deal is. We will see soon enough. However, on the Hornady 200gr problems, I don't think that they're overpressure really...they just burn dirty, dirty. Man, after five shots I have a cylinder full of junk. So, I think that's the main cause of the sticky extraction with Hornady.

Default Any word from on Buffalo Bore 460 smith?

I just purchased a Smith and Wesson 460 XVR and had trouble with shells hanging up as others have stated.

I chambered the 1st two rounds of 360 BBs... 1st one went off fine, second one jammed the cylinder... both needed to be bannged out with a rod.

Any news from anyone with similar problems?

No new news I know of from BB, they just seem to have poor customer support . . . if they do respond it's been rude and condescending. I won’t bother with BB ammo over the way they treat their customers but your mileage may vary . . . stranger things have happened.

My few stiff extraction problems in my 460V have gone away with use of the gun. I clean it before moving from short to long cases most of the time but by no means all the time. Switching powders in reloads from the sooty H110/W296 to LilGun has helped a bunch also I believe, it gives me same power cleaner and with less pressure.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Has anyone had issues using Buffalo Bore ammo? I have used the 360 grain bullets in my S&W 460v and had problems with case extraction. In fact, I've had to use a screwdriver to get the cases out, and one time the cylinder locked up while shooting this cartridge...not good if Mr. Griz is running my way.

The impressive ballistics lead me to purchase Buffalo Bore (1900fps/2800ft/lbs+), but I refuse to endanger myself or damage my gun by using it.

On a side note, what .460 s&w loads do you guys use on big tough game? Thanks for the input.
    Grit, I think I inadvertently started the last BB thread that went to about 90 posts, to include Mr. Sundles terse reply through an AKA address which was not his. I bought some of the BB .44 ammo because I didn't have dies yet and could not load my own before I used it on a fishin trip in bear country. He never returned my call or email. I have attached the link to this thread so if you want to see his reply, its in there somewhere. Your about to relive what several others have and to Mr. Sundles it will be your gun or understanding of firearms that is the problem, not him or his coumpany. Load your own or buy someone elses ammo, test half the box and if it works, use the rest to protect yourself with if it proves reliable. I had my gun checked and changed the firing pin which S&W did for free and his ammo still failed to fire.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=58143&page=5

Good luck brother, I'll never buy his stuff again.

Default Buf Bore in the .460 Smith

Thanks for the answers... I did shoot a few rounds of 45 LC in the gun before the big stuff without cleaning.. .could have been the problem. I haven't shot it again yet. I'm a little concerned because the BB ammo showed a crease on the head of the brass where frame is recessed near the fireing pin. (see pic - note the pressure line on the bottom of the 2 cases on the left). This extra brass squeezed out is probably why the cylinder locks up and won't rotate easily. This didn't happen with the "low Recoil" Winchester ammo in .460. I guess that just means that, as advertized, it's 'max pressure' stuff. Probably within safety limits thought - I hope! What percentage of short ammo vs .460 do you guys shoot. The fact that they advertize shooting both was one of the big draws for me - I really like the LC... Does anyone feel that shooting the shorter stuff in this gun will have any permanant effect on it's handling the big stuff.. OR would the gun perfer to only shoot the .460 ammo?
    On another slightly related subject. The manual says the shorter compensator is for jacketed ammo and longer on is for cast. WHY? Why not just use the longer one all the time... is there any wear associated with Cast vs jacketed to the gun?
    I also noticed that the Max brass length in the reloading manuals says 1.80". The BB brass comes out 1.840" I'm guessing that's why the brass won't eject - its bound up on the shoulder inside the cylinder?? (The Winchester brass came out 1.794") Maybe shooting LC ammo would polish up that shoulder and make the BB brass easier to extract??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AGL_Alaska View Post
    I'm a little concerned because the BB ammo showed a crease on the head of the brass where frame is recessed near the fireing pin. (see pic - note the pressure line on the bottom of the 2 cases on the left). This extra brass squeezed out is probably why the cylinder locks up and won't rotate easily. This didn't happen with the "low Recoil" Winchester ammo in .460.

That's a pressure sign and if it were me I would yank the bullets then trim and reload the brass with new powder. It's likely case length extending past the chamber causing excessive pressure as the bullet is swaged down as it leaves the restricted case mouth. That Starline brass is very good brass so it's a shame to ruin them. As you suspect the case wedged into the front of the chamber it likely has a lot to do with hard extraction as well as the excessive pressure its making. No way I would shoot any more of that batch of BB ammo.

What percentage of short ammo vs .460 do you guys shoot.

I shoot about 40% 45Colt, 10% 45acp, 20% 454, and 30% 460 in my 460V.

The fact that they advertize shooting both was one of the big draws for me –

For me also and it has far surpassed my expectations of its versatility.

I really like the LC... Does anyone feel that shooting the shorter stuff in this gun will have any permanant effect on it's handling the big stuff.. OR would the gun perfer to only shoot the .460 ammo?

The high pressures of 454 and 460 can imbed trash in the chamber if you have enough carbon buildup there. I swab my chambers out before moving to 454 or 460 from a shorter round when at the range or out in the yard but don’t worry about it a bit when I’m in the field hunting. Also the powder switch from dirty H110/W296 to LilGun helps a bunch in keeping it clean. Got well over 500 assorted through mine and she looks new inside.

On another slightly related subject. The manual says the shorter compensator is for jacketed ammo and longer on is for cast. WHY? Why not just use the longer one all the time...

I don’t know why and I use the cast comp all the time but don’t shoot much copper in mine . . . not been an issue. I understand the little holes by the sights will lead up using the short comp is why they include the long but I have never used the shout one that I can remember.

. . .is there any wear associated with Cast vs jacketed to the gun?

Copper will wear slightly more and copper fouling is harder to remove than lead but I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.
    Things to look for with a 460 are:
    >Bullets jumping crimp under recoil from too light a crimp, if it’s real bad they hang up on the forcing cone as the cylinder indexes them up.
    >Forcing cone ware from the power of 454 and 460, they tend to wear and it’s warranted by Smith.
    >Frame cutting on the frame above the forcing cone, keep an eye on it. If you see it the cylinder gap is too wide allowing gasses to get at it. Also covered by Smith

I have only had the crimp jumping myself and not the other issues.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast