Thread: Light halibut rod....

Default Light halibut rod....

Would like to build a light halibut rod out of a g2 back bouncing rod which is the heaviest they make. What do you think. Blank is about 8foot or so.

In the salmon line it is ... but not in the other lines. The Muskie Jerk Bait rods makes an awesome light butt / ling / etc. rod.

A little shorter, which is nice for lifting and, of course, one piece.

If you can get a blank, the burgandy would make for a striking custom wrap job

8' is a pretty long halibut rod. Too long IMO for jigging or handling cannonballs. I once built an "ultralight" 'but rod from a 5'-6" graphite musky blank. Wrapped up some full roller guides and tip, and installed a heavy-duty Fuji reel seat, and plush foam grips w/ fighting butt. It was perfect for 30-40# line.

Default GL2 965 or 966

I built on a GL2 965 blank to back bounce Kenai kings. I've used it jigging 'buts as well. The 966 is slightly heavier, rated for up to 10 ounces of lead. Both of these are one peice.

I rigged with 65 lb braid and hand no trouble with halibut to 70 lbs or so. This thin line gets down pretty easily if your fishing shallow and during small tidal exchanges.

I usually fish a 6 or 8 ounce leadhead/plastic combo or crippled herring or Pt Wilson Dart on this rod and it's a blast. This year I'll put my new Revo Toro 61 reel on it. Should be a sweet jigging/backbouncing set up.

That being said, I agree with Bob that a shorter stick in the 7 or 7.5' range might be better if this is to be a halibut/saltwater only jigging stick. Shorter rod = more leverage. You might want to look at blanks designed for saltwater jigging. I'd definitely stick to one peice blanks for halibut. Batson Enterprises has a pretty good selection of blanks that might work for you. If you haven't already purchased the 966, I recommend you check Batson's blanks out.

Heres the thing we have the broom stick rods as every other butt fisherman does. And as a rule the halibut we are catching are 30-70 lbs at a depth of 125-200 foot. I like thi idea of a musky rod for sure and I would also like the length. Leverage is nice butt its just so much fun to catch them on something that bends...and what ever we choose it will be a one piece rod.... Thanks again.

Seeker makes a great jigging blank rated to 50 lbs. It is 7 footer. I built one for a customer last year and he absolutely loved it. The model # is the CJB70

Ken

I used a seeker blue lighting inshore jigging rod last year for bottom fishing, and doubt I'll ever use a pool cue rod again. It's a very light rod with titanium guides, has plenty of backbone for lifting big fish, and the 6 1/2' length seems just about perfect for jigging. With a two speed reel and 50# braid you can run lighter jigs as well, and don't have a quicker retrieve for the smaller fish and jig changes, or you shift down for pulling up the larger fish.