Thread: Ahhh, there's nuthin' like it in the whole world...

Default Ahhh, there's nuthin' like it in the whole world...

MMMMMmmmmMMMMM

I just cooked me up some med. rare moose steak & eggs with a nice warm cup of whole bean joe, & I might say this is like hot buttered popcorn & a good movie with this forum!

I gotta admit, I've been lurkin' & postin' on this thread since the 1900's I guess & must say that regardless of what goes on, you're a bunch of good folks to be around...

OBTW, my moose steak had been in the fridge for a least a week & had a good 1/2 thick of fat, & was cooked on high heat, burnt, nearly to a crisp (seared, for all you non chef's out there), on the outside, & nice juicy red on the inside....

Default sure 'nuff

Gogoalie,

We're glad to be done hunting here and have the meat shed full. My wife has been canning heart and tongue. Tongue sandwiches the other day with the last of the lettuce and tomatoes still barely alive in the greenhouse. Backstrap steaks with homegrown spuds. Heart fried at hunting camp by my son...it's all good. Just wish we'd of gotten an earlier moose with more kidney fat for making burger throughout the winter.

Enjoy, Mark

Default I'm convinced

Caribou sausage and potatoes tonight... It's what I grew up on, can't beat it!

Wish I was as good a cook as you guys, those things sound great!

Default Bush Rat...

I grew some spuds in Anchorage a coupla years back from Yukon Gold potatos I bought @ the store just for S&G's I planted them in my garden to see what I'd come up with...& Low & behold, if it weren't like that Chinese story of the largest radish & needing to be pulled by a buncha people. One spud looked the size of a T-Rex turd! I mean that thing was HUGE! I couldn't hold it in one hand, it was soooo big! most others were just a lil smaller, & many a small round ones, but the biggest spud I had was Gigantinormous!

In my garden I had many o' Lettuce plants but the slugs all made themselve's an all you can eat salad bar buffet! My poor cukes too got eatin up by slugs...wifey & I tried to pick off the slugs & throw them in salt but there were just too many of them. Then I went 2 the store & bought some keystone lite (cheapest 12 pack around) & filled lil jello cups full of beer & planted them in rows right next to the lettuce, but them **** slugs just got drunk & DUI'd all over my lettuce, some though had the unfortunate experience of getting drunk & slipping into the brew...it was a high maintenance project trying to grow lettuce with all them slugs though...

Man I can just imagine back strap & fried potatos in the moose fat!...mmm mmm good! I've made my own tomato sauce with homegrown Fatboys before & man I just wish I had ground moose to go with it!!!!

Default florida style

fried fresh gator tail, very rare venison backstrap, gargonzola butter sauce, and a bunch of cold beer.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Gogoalie,

We're glad to be done hunting here and have the meat shed full. My wife has been canning heart and tongue. Tongue sandwiches the other day with the last of the lettuce and tomatoes still barely alive in the greenhouse. Backstrap steaks with homegrown spuds. Heart fried at hunting camp by my son...it's all good. Just wish we'd of gotten an earlier moose with more kidney fat for making burger throughout the winter.

Enjoy, Mark
    How about some pictures from the hunt and of your lifestyle?????????
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thumbs up I concur...

I love a well prepared moose/caribou steak. I can't understand why so many folks don't lug out those ribs on the bone!!!!

Just had a batch of moose ribs (buddy smelled them from three blocks down-hence no leftovers) of thick yet succulent ribs. MMMMM MMMM. Left a little fat on there and can't even start describing the taste.

Those antlers may be laying next to that slough, but the ribs... uh uh

I second the moose ribs, It makes me sick when you hear of people boning out the ribs. They really don't know what they are missing. Slow cooked in a dutch oven lots o red wine,onions, garlic, and big ol pile of garlic smashed yukon golds
    on the side. and some more wine.....I better chk the freezer..

Speaking of all this prepared game, what would you guys suggest, as far as books or videos go, for me to buy and learn how to butcher a moose?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

the video that fish and game made is really good. Its also the only one I have seen but thought it was great.

Most people don't pack out the ribs because they take up to much space, I always debone the ribs when i get a moose, makes for much easier packing.

Default room

has been an issue several times, but the one time I did bone out those ribs I really kicked myself. Not to mention the better half about kicked me too.

To each their own

One other thing we've been doing more of this year is canning moose and 'bou. It's fun to experiment with different recipes, and we haven't had a bad jar yet!!!! I'm thinking that stuff (once in a ziplock or tupperware) will be the ticket for winter camping and trapping meals.

Default Shhhh Everyone will try it and want it

If people knew how good canned Moose/Deer/Bou/Sheep or whatever game animal you have - there would be alot more competion out in the woods - and I don't want that- HAHA

the kids dig it all

Burger, Chunks, strips etc

Mexi Style, Italian Style, good Ole American Style!!! Meat and Potatoes - Hash, Stew...Chili

If you haven't canned some - your missin out

Just so yas know - even that year old Moose Roast you usually take to the meat shop top grind into burger with this years scraps can be made perfect via a canner

Canned moose meat is killer, we use to do that years ago and we'd take some with us the following year in moose camp. It made an awesome stew that we would slow cook over on open fire all day long. Great stuff!!

Another vote for moose ribs.One of my favorite cuts!Slow roasted some yesterday in a sauce that contained chillie sauce,onions,garlic,dry mustard,beer,and honey.I know they are the best because my kids ate them,lol.

Default Basic Butchering of livestock & Game...

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post
    Speaking of all this prepared game, what would you guys suggest, as far as books or videos go, for me to buy and learn how to butcher a moose?
    By John J. Mettler, Jr. D.V.M. is a great book to read to get excellent cuts of meat from wild game, moose are nearly the size of beef cattle & you could use that as a reference to get some choice cuts out of your game meat, in particular....moose...(gurlgling sound like homer simpson) Moose T-bones...aahhhhh...