Thread: Ethnol problems

Default Ethnol problems

Has anyone had any engine problems caused by the gas mix? So far I've heard of 5 new snowmobiles losing engines. The cause so far points to ethnol seperating from the fuel. From what I'm told Stabil will stablize the mix, and prevent engine damage.

GaryD.

I think ethanol hasn't been used in gasoline since 2002 or 2003. The DEC determined that adding ethanol to the gas made no major difference to the air quality so they quit adding it to the fuel.
    Last edited by wldboar; 01-05-2009 at 15:29. Reason: added
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

If they are adding the yellow bottle of HEET to their gas, then the methanol would cause problems.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have run "oxygenated" ethanol blended fuel from Anchorage in my snowmobiles with no problems whatsoever, including my 670 Summit X with higher compression heads than what is common today. Where snowmobiles come from, the midwest, ethanol blended fuel is very common and the sleds are designed to use it.

I have blown up sled engines in every imaginable way. My most common mistake is using poor or old fuel in high compression engines. Detonation kills 'em quick and I've hammered two this way. That is the only fuel related reason I have killed a sled engine.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    I think ethanol hasn't been used in gasoline since 2002 or 2003. The DEC determined that adding ethanol to the gas made no major difference to the air quality so they quit adding it to the fuel.
    I don't think they even sell ethanol blended fuel in Alaska anymore. They still do in many states in the lower 48 with pollution problems.

Sent you a PM..............

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I don't think they even sell ethanol blended fuel in Alaska anymore. They still do in many states in the lower 48 with pollution problems.

Sent you a PM..............
    Wow, I didn't know that. I thought we've been using ethanol in the gas SINCE '02-'03. Didn't know they ever 'allowed' it to not be added.

BTW, I'll second stabil (fuel stabilizer) I used it in my boat and snowmachines.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Wow, I didn't know that. I thought we've been using ethanol in the gas SINCE '02-'03. Didn't know they ever 'allowed' it to not be added.

BTW, I'll second stabil (fuel stabilizer) I used it in my boat and snowmachines.

Tim
    Actually when Frank was Gov. he had it elminated as a requirement because we were easily meeting the EPA Air Quality Standards.

When Anchorage had the ethanol most snowmachiners filled in the Valley so as to avoid the blended fuels.

I will have to really look on the pumps next time I fuel but I can't remember seeing the sticker any more about the oxgenated fuels.