Thread: Ruger Wood Stock Modifications...

Default Ruger Wood Stock Modifications...

I am thinking of taking the stock off of the mkII m77 on a couple of rifles and fileing down the contact point on the fore-end of the stock where it touches the barrell (free-floating). Is it a good idea? I think it will help, or at least it won't hurt it. Has anyone else done this? What kind of results should I expect on the paper target?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I am thinking of taking the stock off of the mkII m77 on a couple of rifles and fileing down the contact point on the fore-end of the stock where it touches the barrell (free-floating). Is it a good idea? I think it will help, or at least it won't hurt it. Has anyone else done this? What kind of results should I expect on the paper target?
    rufus; before you do that, try this........take a piece or cardboard, piece of old credit card, or something similar and fit it in front of your action. this will raise your barrel "freefloating it". if that is an improvement THEN relieve your stock.

some barrels shoot better with forward pressure. it has to do with barrel harmonics.

happy trails.
    jh

I do it on all my Rugers, then go ahead and free float the remainder of the barrel. Results depend on the individual rifle from the box. For me it's more a preventive measure against stock warpage in wet climates.

While I'm at it I go ahead and relieve the hole for the angled front action bolt. If the bolt ever touches the stock there, accuracy will go south in one big hurry.

Any Ruger I have encountered with accuracy problems has profited from those treatments after the accuracy problem develops, so I just go ahead and do it beforehand.

I free float the barrels of all my rifles. Reason being, that anything touching the barrel will affect it's harmonics (vibration) which affects the bullet. Changes in weather on wood stocks can cause the wood to move and put different pressures on the barrel causing inconsistancies in your bullet's performance. You might also consider bedding you action/stock, especially if it's wood for reasons already noted and wood can compress when tightening down action screws.