Thread: cost?

Question cost?

Another question. I can buy 40 S&W ammo (Win, 165gr, FMJ, 100 count) for 28.00. How much cheaper than that can one reload it for? I'm debating whether to get the dies and/or even save the brass (pain with an auto). I probably shoot around 1,000 rnds a year. Thanks.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Another question. I can buy 40 S&W ammo (Win, 165gr, FMJ, 100 count) for 28.00. How much cheaper than that can one reload it for? I'm debating whether to get the dies and/or even save the brass (pain with an auto). I probably shoot around 1,000 rnds a year. Thanks.
    Check the websites for best prices on bulk bullets and other components. It will just take you a few seconds to work out the per round costs for comparison with your quoted .28 a round. If your bottom line is saving money, don't forget to compare with cast bullets bought in bulk.

Talking cost?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Check the websites for best prices on bulk bullets and other components. It will just take you a few seconds to work out the per round costs for comparison with your quoted .28 a round. If your bottom line is saving money, don't forget to compare with cast bullets bought in bulk.
    Brown: I crunched the numbers and for 1000rnds, I can load for around 160.00 and that's if I save the brass. If I don't then that figure goes up considerably. So it's 280.00 against 160.00= 120 savings, but weighing everything (like picking up my brass), I'm not sure I want to go the reloading route...but there is one compelling argument to reload, besides the savings, and that is that one would have a theoretical supply if factory isn't available down the road. So I guess logic won out over savings and I'll buy some dies, bulk bullets and save my brass...for a rainy democrat day. Thanks.

Brown: I crunched the numbers and for 1000rnds, I can load for around 160.00 and that's if I save the brass. If I don't then that figure goes up considerably. So it's 280.00 against 160.00= 120 savings, but weighing everything (like picking up my brass), I'm not sure I want to go the reloading route...but there is one compelling argument to reload, besides the savings, and that is that one would have a theoretical supply if factory isn't available down the road. So I guess logic won out over savings and I'll buy some dies, bulk bullets and save my brass...for a rainy democrat day. Thanks.
    I'm with you on the PITA of collecting semi auto brass. I hate it so bad, that's why I'm mostly a revolver shooter.

Here's the one trick that saves the knees on my pants: I'm mostly an outdoor shooter, so I spread a tarp in the brass landing zone. I also go back after dark with a flashlight for easy spotting of any I missed in the first goround.

I agree with you on the pain of picking up brass from my semi autos. I just can't stand to see good brass hit the deck and get walked all over. I also use the tarp trick, even if I do get some funny looks from some other shooters! It works!

Talking tarp

Yes, the tarp sounds good. I even toyed with the idea of making a large hoop, like a fishing net with finer net material, that would be on a rod that goes onto a moveable stand. Then if one changes positions, it can be moved, and if one wants to get real innovative, put it on a height adjustment rod. Heck, there may already be something like that out there.

Yes, the tarp sounds good. I even toyed with the idea of making a large hoop, like a fishing net with finer net material, that would be on a rod that goes onto a moveable stand. Then if one changes positions, it can be moved, and if one wants to get real innovative, put it on a height adjustment rod. Heck, there may already be something like that out there.
    I'm also a wheel gun guy but I have used the tarp trick and even a truck bed to help find auto brass. They do make brass traps that clip to the trigger guard and look like a fishing net. I never used one but have seen them in shops from time to time.

Andy

Competitive pistol shooters have a gizmo such as you envision set up on the bench to capture brass...try Champions Shooter Supply, Champions Choice or the Bullseye forums to track on of these down...Gil Hebard might have one as well.....

Default Reloading Cost Calculator

When I first started reloading for .357 Mag, I could load for a nickle a shot. Of course, retail commercial ammo was only 20-25 cents a shot back then. The 1:4 ratio still probably holds, but there are neat calculators on the web that will run the numbers for you, such as this one:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

or just do an internet search on the phrase "Cost of reloading" or "reloading cost" or phrases like that. There is even one that has a downloadable EXCEL spreadsheet you can use offline.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    When I first started reloading for .357 Mag, I could load for a nickle a shot. Of course, retail commercial ammo was only 20-25 cents a shot back then. The 1:4 ratio still probably holds, but there are neat calculators on the web that will run the numbers for you, such as this one:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

or just do an internet search on the phrase "Cost of reloading" or "reloading cost" or phrases like that. There is even one that has a downloadable EXCEL spreadsheet you can use offline.

Good Luck.
    Thanks: I went to that site and ran the numbers...pretty simple, and it came out the same. Now it's a matter of obtaining the supplies...you know what that will entail. Like good luck on that.