Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pot pullers

Default pot pullers

I'm looking for a pot puller small enough for a 20' Klamath (Ace maybe) that can use clips to hook directly to a battery instead of the scotty plug, any suggestions?

Lots of info here on pot pullers, but one that I haven't seen for awhile is the 4 hp Honda with a 6:1 gear reduction driving a capstan. I was looking for a puller for an 18' Bayrunner about a year ago, but didn't have the electrical capacity to run one of the electric pullers, plus I was going to be pulling Tanner pots which are much heavier than the Ace, etc. was designed to pull. I actually saw reference to the Honda somewhere on this site and bought it out of Bellingham. I used it all last summer and couldn't be happier. I used it to pull a string of 5 shrimp pots as well as 4' Tanner pots and it did it with no effort. I had to build an aluminum bracket on the back of the boat to mount it but I did this to save space inside. You could probably mount it in the boat as well.

If you were to get one with the Scotty plug, couldn't you just hook it up to a couple battery connectors, to hook directly to your battery?

Check out the quick catch pot puller. I mounted it on my bow and use it as an anchor and pot puller. You give up some convenience for sure but nice to have dual purpose. Been using mine 2 years no problems.

Default Honda W Gear Reduction

The Honda with a gear reduction setup is available from Brothers Welding -
    They have been selling pullers and pots for years - they make some good products.

Brothers Welding
    PO Box 190 (308624, Hwy 101)
    Brinnon, WA 98320
    Phone: (360) 796-4163
    Email: broweld@olypen.com

Default And another...

Cushman Boats are the guys I bought my davit from. Nice guys and easy to deal with. They sell the gas pullers and electric, as well as some nice accessories.

Good luck

D
    2007 220 OP ET HT
    Yamaha F250txr
    Yamaha 8 kicker
    Garmin 498

I agree with all the Honda puller statements. I went through 2 different electric units, and they just don't have enough to pull long lines or heavy pots. I bought the Honda last year, and it is great!!! I actually bought mine from Marita Sea and Ski. Kind of strange, because they are not Honda reps. I bought mine from them at the boat show last winter. Check them out and see if you can get the boat show pricing (about the same as the lower 48 without the wait!!). It is about boat show season now!!

Good luck,

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Any thoughts on the Ace Line Hauler for pulling two pot strings up to 600'. The guy at Cushman said they wouldn't hold up

I have a friend who has been using his Ace for a few seasons pulling a string of 3 up and hasn't had any issues at all with it. Hope that helps.

Default ace

I have been using mine for 5 yrs now. 2 pots on 2 strings and 1 pot on 1 string. Anywheres from 300-700 foot. Last year the gear box started to growl and so I contacted Ace for a rebuild kit. Instead they sent a new gearbox and motor, no charge. Good service is a rare thing now days. I'm going to stick with this one until I can afford a bigger unit and bigger boat than my 22'.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    Check out the quick catch pot puller. I mounted it on my bow and use it as an anchor and pot puller. You give up some convenience for sure but nice to have dual purpose. Been using mine 2 years no problems.
    Can you pull 5 pots on a string, and if so how fast?
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I've done 4 with no problem. A buddy bought one after seeing how mine worked and he does 5 most of the time I believe. I have always split my set into a 2 pot and 3 pot. Seems to work better for me in case I don't hit my spots just right or am looking for new areas can go with what I know works while exploring others.

I have the Ace and pull 3 pots on one line and 2 on another. With either, it's slow going. And if the tide is strong and/or your boat's getting blow across the water and your line is about 45 degrees to the water surface, then it really puts a strain on the puller and I wouldn't go over 3 per line. But it is easy to store and beats pulling by hand.

I've done 4 with no problem. A buddy bought one after seeing how mine worked and he does 5 most of the time I believe. I have always split my set into a 2 pot and 3 pot. Seems to work better for me in case I don't hit my spots just right or am looking for new areas can go with what I know works while exploring others.
    Thanks for the feed back.
    BTW..

Literature on Ace says:
    1 pot 110í/min 100lb capacity

Literature on Quick Catch Pot Puller says:
    100lbs at 150í/min 200lb capacity.

For the Quick Catch I was thinking of making a temporary mount that would fit over the side, when not in use just lift it off and stow someplace. If I had a bigger boat it would be a different sorry; our C-dory puts creature comforts first so not that much space in the cockpit.

Didnít mean to hijack the thread.

Jay
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Jay,
    Someone on here actually had a plate welded to a permanent davit up by the cab and mounted the quick catch on that plate vertically. Obviously more expensive to do but could be swung out of the way and have the added power of the quick catch. I considered doing something similar but wanted to use it as an anchor pull too. Just a thought.
    Cody

It would work well the way you're talking about though, being on the gunnel waist high would certainly help, I have to kneel while pulling mine.

Gawd you guys make hauling gear like drugery, pulling on your knees
    Cody put the hauler where it belongs and just use a fairlead or two for hauling your anchor. Geesh do i have to explain everything to you guys

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

That'd be nice Steve but it works for my lil' boat. Definitely not the most convenient but was the most cost effective and useful this way. Now, how about you pull some of this cold weather down your way and give us a break eh?
    Cody

I have one of these mounted on a davit. It works very well. Just remember anything with power is better than by hand. I pulled two seasons by hand and I will never be without a power puller again.

Pot Builder: hint hint. I wish someone carried the Electra Dyne pullers locally. I would like to check them out. Maybe at one of the sports shows in the spring. hint hint again.

Iíve got a great anchor puller already, my wife, says it helps keep her arms strong..Who am I to argue?
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    I have one of these mounted on a davit. It works very well. Just remember anything with power is better than by hand. I pulled two seasons by hand and I will never be without a power puller again.

Pot Builder: hint hint. I wish someone carried the Electra Dyne pullers locally. I would like to check them out. Maybe at one of the sports shows in the spring. hint hint again.
    Hint taken i'm workin' on it

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast