Thread: Looking for bunny meat.

Default Looking for bunny meat.

I am looking to try some rabbit meat before I invest in a new rifle and trudge through the snow. Anyone in Juneau up for donating a rabbit or two for a trade. Some ammo perhaps?

If you dont get any takers, perhaps try snareing. Its easy and effective! Plus its cheap.

I don't live in Juneau, but I can tell you this, the recipe I have posted below is an excellent recipe for rabbit, it doesn't have any game taste and is delicious, I have fed it to many people who professed to hate any game meat and all loved it. (Including someone who was 7 months pregnant and was quite picky on what she liked)

Ingredients:

• 1 rabbit, about 3 pounds, cut up
    • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • 1 cup chopped celery
    • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • dash pepper
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 4 cups water
    • 4 cups dry red wine
    • 2 cups diced carrots
    • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
    • 4 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/3 cup water

Preparation:

Directions for rabbit stew.
    Dredge rabbit pieces with 1/2 cup flour. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown rabbit pieces on all sides. Add celery, onion, salt, pepper, bay leaf, 4 cups water, and wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer rabbit stew for 2 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms; cook for about 25 to 30 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/3 cup water; stir until well blended and smooth. Stir flour mixture into the broth; cook and stir until thickened.
    Rabbit stew recipe serves 4.

Chauvotsm -

Danthedewman will be back down here in February. Send him a PM and see if he'll bring some.

He sent me a couple frozen once so that I could test out some different jerky recipes.... it is now highly prized!

However, I recommend buying the gun regardless. Grouse will be hooting in April, and they taste better than almost anything else in the world.

Same gun.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Sounds good. Thanks. I was planning on just getting a .22. Is that the general concensus for what everyone is using?

Absolutely ... the .22 is my choice.

If I'm up to it physically this spring, you're more than welcome to come along and get a taste of grouse hunting, AND grouse eating!

As an aside, I think the rabbits around Juneau are not the same ones they have up north. I have never seen them very big around here by comparison to what I've seen up there. Could be the difference between rabbits and hares, but I really don't know.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

It tastes like chicken. No, I'm not kidding.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Soggy Mountain...Sounds like fun. Keep me in mind as the Spring moves in.