Thread: Any ice fishing in Juneau?

Default Any ice fishing in Juneau?

I've heard that there are some fish being caught in twin lakes but I thought they were too shallow and froze solid during the winter. Any ice fishing anywhere else in Juneau?

Twin Lakes does not freeze solid and holdover chinooks from the summer plantings are available - it's probably your best bet for ice fishing. I saw a couple guys with a mess of 8" chinooks on Twin Lakes the day after Christmas. There are a few cutts in there, too. Bait is allowed in Twin Lakes.

Note bait is not allowed in Windfall or Auke Lakes, or most other frozen water on the Juneau road system. Also note that Dolly fishing is closed in Auke Lake.

twin lakes has a ton of those little baby kings, it freezes fine cause its so small, I wouldn't go out after a big rain or something but it takes like 3 or 4 days to freeze solid again, its also is the first with ice off every year. I've heard of folks ice fishing dredge lakes, windfall lake, and salmon creek res. Never seen anybody ice fishing auke lake although I've been known to throw a fly line into the hole where the stream flows in, with little success...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Twin lakes it is then. Is it safe enough to trudge out onto the middle of the ice? Any idea how thick the ice is? What bait is working best, still the little shrimp?

Safe? Oh man, you could drive a bus on the lake right now.
    Use eggs if you've got em.
    Shrimp = 2nd best.
    Sharp hooks.

Supposedly my some guys that work with my wife used an ice pick to make a hole to fish out of. Sounds kind of fishy to me. Isn't the ice to thick to try jabbing all the way through with an overgrown nail?

just find their holes and you are good to go
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.