Thread: Anyone have good Tartar Sauce recipe?

Default Anyone have good Tartar Sauce recipe?

I haven't found a store-bought version that is really great. Anyone care to share their homemade recipes?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I make a simple tarter sauce the IMO is the best. The most important thing to me about tarter sauce is dill relish. I cant eat it with sweet relish.

All I do is add Best foods mayo, dill relish, dill weed, and a little mustard to color. No real measurements on the ingredients. Depending on the amount I am making, I just keep adding until it looks/tastes right.

Godd luck

Mine is pretty similar to Northrivers except I like bigger chunks of pickles so I chop dill pickles myself (it's a little cheaper than buying the relish too) 1/4-1/2 tsp. dillweed, white pepper, worcheshershire sauce, and garlic salt. and then a pretty good shot (couple Tablespoons or more?)of lemon juice.

Default Tartar

I've got a fancy one when you actually build the sauce as a mayonnaise but i never make it because it's a FREAKING PAIN IN THE REAR and the following is almost as good:

Mayonnaise
    Rough chopped dill pickle or dill relish
    A little fresh rough chopped onion
    Fresh parsley
    Salt
    Pepper
    Lemon juice from a LEMON, not a little yellow plastic hand grenade, or ReaLemon, which is two lies for the price of one

Give it all a whirl in a food processor, taste and adjust, and add a little sugar. C'mon, you know you want to. You don't have to make it sickening sweet like commercial tartar, but a little sugar reduces the acidity of the pickles and lemon and helps bring out the other flavors as well.

This will give you a sauce full of nice fresh flavors that will compliment, not obscure, the taste of whatever you serve it with.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

There are several brands of tartar at my local grocer. A couple of them I have liked, but I never remember which ones.

Mayo, dill relish, lemon juice, onion, and a touch of thousand island work for me when I'm caught trying to recreate the flavor I like.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

On trout and in a pinch for halibut I use sandwich spread. You can always add a bit of vinegar or sugar to suit your taste.

http://www.bestfoods.com/products/sandwich_spread.aspx

It is very good on trout/dollies baked in tin foil on the grill. I also like to mix the fish and the spread and put it on bread for a fish sammich!

Mike

Good stuff. Thanks guys, I suppose I'll have to make a "sample" of each to determine which one gets a permanent post in my kitchen!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

This is by far the best I've ever had and when ever somebody tries it for the 1st time they always ask for the recipe.

The key is the refrigerated- crunchy dill pickles-chopped to what ever your preference is-I like it about raisin sized maybe smaller, finely chopped onion, mayo, lemon juice and what ever else you might like.

I never really measure anything just to taste and it's always good.

KK

Arrow claussen kosher dill

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    ...The key is the refrigerated- crunchy dill pickles-chopped to what ever your preference is...
    Exactly right - that is the key.

I use only Claussen kosher dills for that. You'll taste a huge difference for the better.

Default Tartare Sauce

1 cup mayonnaise
    3 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
    1 teaspoon grated onion
    1 tablespoon fresh snipped parsley
    2 teaspoons chopped canned pimiento

Combine all ingredients and chill. Makes 1 cup

I use my home canned sweet relish, which I don't have the recipe for here as we are in Wi at canning time. Now in TX. Mix the relish with Miracle Whip salad dressing. I do not use Mayo. Very simple and good.

I am not much of a cook but I really like this. Take a cup of mayo and a tbl spoon of a good horseradish and mix I sometimes add a sweet relish and it's great for my taste. I also like a good horseradish with my eggs for breakfast.

the old standby recipe here is:

1 cup mayo or homemade plain yogurt

1/4 cup homemade dill pickles finely chopped (cucumber or green tomato) if you added sliced onions or garlic to your pickles, chop some of that too

a dab of prepared mustard or a dash of mustard powder

That's it...good with everything from fish to salad to moose meat

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default Chef E. F. Tartar Sauce

> 1 cup mayo
    > 1/2 shallot chopped fine or 1-2 tbs chopped onion
    >1 tbs capers chopped
    >1-2 tsp. chopped pickle or pickel relish
    >1 tbs chopped parsley (dried or fresh)
    >1 tbs Tarragon vinegar
    >Add: chives, dill,salt,and pepper to taste

This is the best Tarter Sauce I have ever had and I mean it!

Default Simple is better

A mixture of Miracle Whip, sweet relish, lemon juice, small amounts of minced garlic and onion and the juice from a jar of dill pickles. All the amounts depend on your taste. If you can make it a day ahead even better. This is like marinades, try something different until you find what you like. I have tried a few of the ones mentioned, not bad.