Thread: Steaming water and Ice Fishing

Default Steaming water and Ice Fishing

Does anyone know why Alaska waters seem to steam when its so cold or the water is mostly frozen? I have theories but can't find any information to confirm it. My second question is what kind of fish is under the frozen ice when I see people ice fishing in lakes around Anchorage?
    Feel free to check out more of my photos.

Default Steam...

... the water is warmer than the subfreezing air. As for fish; depends on the body of water, but mostly rainbow, dollies, char, or landlocked salmon.

Thank You, thats what I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... the water is warmer than the subfreezing air. As for fish; depends on the body of water, but mostly rainbow, dollies, char, or landlocked salmon.
    Feel free to check out more of my photos.

Smile Phantoms of Fog

Quote Originally Posted by alaskarain View Post
    Does anyone know why Alaska waters seem to steam when its so cold or the water is mostly frozen? I have theories but can't find any information to confirm it. My second question is what kind of fish is under the frozen ice when I see people ice fishing in lakes around Anchorage?
    What you are witnessing is referred to as ‘mixing fog’ where the air of different temperature, density, and humidity mixes. There are two occurrences that produce mixing fog. In this particular case you described, generally speaking… cold winter ambient air will make contact with wet lands or exposed, surface waters (moist warmer air) mixing into a cloud-like condensing mist. The mist or steam-like fog visibly rises through convection current - the same image you find when with steam rising from a stove top cook pot.

The Anchorage lakes are mostly stocked for recreational fishing like ice-fishing. Stocks include Rainbow Trout, Dolly Varden Char, Arctic Grayling, and variety of Pacific Salmon. There are also un-stocked invasive Northern Pike, Alaskan Blackfish, and probably a few mystery fish.