Thread: Silvers Kenai pen end of July

Default Silvers Kenai pen end of July

Hi everyone ,Coming back to the Kenai pen last 2 weeks of July .We would like to try for some silvers where are our best chances /tactics .can you catch them from the shore.or will we have to fly in to big river lake or similar 3-400 $ seems a little bit pricey.Will they be waiting at the mouths /estuaries of the south keni streams rivers and creeks if so can u catch them in these waters.
    Thanks in advance.Graham

Graham,

If you want the sure thing I would go with the fly in trip across the inlet. You could take a chance and try for silvers from the banks of the Kenai/Kasilof but whether you'll catch silvers or not will depend upon the commercial fisherman. Last year the last week of July was pretty good for silvers but the previous year not so good.

Default Silvers

Tcman's post is right on... the year before the commercial fishing intercepted the early silvers bound for the Kenai. Last year, the commercial fishing season was closed.

I think if I were to focus on an inexpensive silver fishing trip at the end of July, I would consider Seward. It is possible to catch from the banks. This could be a bit early for bank fishing however??? (I am always working on the Kenai for the peak of the late run kings so I don't get to go to Seward...)

Most definitely a charter out of Seward would be productive for silvers, sea bass, ling cod and halibut. Ther are an abundance of operators available.

We do catch silvers during the last week of July on the Kenai but they are incidental. You are more likely to catch sockeye, as this will be their peak as well.

Cheers

alaskanfishguides is right about Seward. I wasn't thinking about that area as an alternative to a fly in trip across the inlet. If you're thinking about filling the freezer, there are areas outside of Seward where the limit is six (help me out with this one Seward experts).

Graham,

Seward can be fantastic for coho in July and the limit in Resurrection Bay is 6 fish. Outside of the bay, it is three. However, fishing from the beach is a little tough in your time frame as they really aren't staged at the head of the bay yet. Sometimes they never hit the beach at all which can be frustrating. None the less, beach fishing will not be hot in July.

My personal preference most of the time is to fish silvers out of the bay while fishing for lings, rockfish, and hogs. This is mostly because I really like it East of Seward do to the spectactular scenary and its isolation. While I have not sat and counted the charter boats going out of Seward daily, there are a lot. But they fill up fast and some prior planning is always helpful if you really want to get on a boat.

While you mentioned your preference to fish the Kenai Penninsula area, the Valley normally has a far greater choice of streams that are fishable on the road system.

Thanks for the replays .we do have one day booked with captain scott out of homer for buts with the option of changing to a halabut /silver combo .so we will play it by ear for now.I bet a silver in the salt would go like hell on a wt 5 flyrod...
    Thanks Graham.

How is the fishing in the salt around Homer? I will be up July 14th for 10 days and my buddy just put down riggers on his boat so we should have all that is needed to give them a go.

ive caught silvers on the kenai river at the funny river campground every year on the last weekend of july, some years its nonstop action, others its slow, but they are there....i was a commercial fisherman for 3 years ( 2003,2004,2005) at ninilchik (on/off shore based setnets) and we would pick up silvers as early as mid-late june and just about every net would have 5-20 silvers in it come first week of july...the fact is, in my experience, silvers tend to stay farther offshore, at least when the weather is fair...the wind is what blows them in closer when schooled up....our farthest sets were 1.5 miles offshore, and the drifters didnt really pick em up either close to shore, and got less time to fish than we did.

Default Thanks Guys.

Thanks for the info ,The funny river campground looks good.Hunt&fishak what tactics tackle do you use for silvers there.cheers. graham

i typically fish right next to the boardwalk.....drifting flies and "force-feeding" also you can try single hook spinners and spoons, and ive found that drifting corkies with fake egg clusters can work wonders on the big dollies and the silvers, as well as some surprise rainbows. im not sure you can use bait right there that time of year, check the regs very carefully as this is a tricky area because of the odd rules... you know you can also pick up silvers in anchor river, deep creek, ninilchik river and the homer hole if funny river fails... they are not ALWAYS there, but its always a good bet at that time of year...also campbell creek here in anchorage opens july 25th for silvers, and ship creek and bird creek in and near anchorage should be seeing silvers as well at that time....

Default Silver salmon seward

Seward has a few companies that will take you on a half day salmon trip for about $225. Pretty positive you will get your salmon at the time you stated. www.fishwithhill.com

thanks for all the great advice I know that we are in for a great trip . Graham