Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Bank fishing for kings mid -late july

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    83

    Default Bank fishing for kings mid -late july

    Hi .Thanks to Everyone who helped us on our Kenai adventure 2007 .tips and advice were spot on and everyone we met were so welcoming.
    We are coming back this year last 2 weeks in July and fancy giving the Kenai kings a go from the bank .I'm thinking of taking my 13 ft saltwater surf caster and multiplier reel to handle long casts big ,baits /lures...casts 4/8.oz.
    What are everyone's thoughts on this setup Any good spots ,tips rigs, Ive also wondered if It is possible to catch kings from the shore/or even buts or anything.
    Thanks in advance. graham

  2. #2

    Default Kenai Kings from Shore

    I have not fished for kings from shore, but I have seen folks who have. (Maybe that like saying, "I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV?). Most that I have seen fishing on the banks are drifting eggs. You will likely need a long cast to get to some of the good holes, but expect those holes to be plugged with an abundance of boats.

    That being said, there is an area that is closed to fishing for kings from a boat, specifically to allow bank fishing... this is in Sterling at Morgan's Landing (Check regulations).

    Do some searching on this forum, there have been discussions of using planer boards from the bank and others.

    It is possible to catch halibut from shore, but difficult. Again, search this forum for more.

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Member Mark Collett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Between the Willapa Rivers, United States
    Posts
    467

    Default YES Kings are do-able from shore

    I caught Kings from the bank for the 1st two years I lived in Soldotna.I also lost a few.There are several spots that are ideal for plunking;Centineal Park,Swiftwater,Soldotna Creek Park to name a few.Depending on the current force and flow my wife and I used 2 to 4 oz lead on a slider,a 4 ft leader,topped off with a spin-n glow with eggs.We found the round pancake lead to hang up the least as opposed to pyramid or cannonball weights.Depending on where you are fishing only throw out about 30-40 ft from the bank.Look for a seam or structure of some kind where there is a current change and walk your bait down to that slot.Keep a close eye on your pole or keep it in your hand cause the bite can be fast and furious.We used 50 lbs Power Pro and fairly heavy rods.The biggest fish we landed from shore was 38 lbs.I have also lost some fish I'm guestimating at 60+.Fishing off the bank is a relaxing enjoyable way to spend the day,watching the chaos of the boat traffic,and sometimes bringing home the bacon.Most (not all) of the guides are real good about giving you space (read that not crowding in on you)once they see what you are doing.Not always true for private boaters.Give it a try you can be very pleasantly surprised.
    By the way I've also caught Halibut off the spit....Git-R-Done
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 01-05-2009 at 13:24. Reason: add some stuff

  4. #4

    Default Great post

    I agree with Mark Collett's post regarding Centennial and Swiftwater. The Centennial area is closed to fishing from a boat during king season. I see more people fishing the banks above the launch as well way below the launch by the tip of the island and below. At Swiftwater, most are below the launch along the bluffs.

    Check the regulations on this, but if you can get to the island at Swiftwater, there is a great king slot just on the river side of the lower section that could be easily fishable from the bank. I am thinking that you could guide the fish into the slackwater of the launch area around the point of the island.

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    83

    Default Thanks for the replys

    Thanks for the useful info everyone.I think ill buy an outfit for the bank fishing from trustworthys ,his advice should be spot on .WE hope to spend a few days at centennial park to target reds also kings in the evenings .We met a group of Kiwis in 2007 at centennial who fished for kings from the bank and they sounded quite successful I remember there gear was pretty hefty.but cant remember there tactics,I do remember they fished upstream of the boat launch.We will be very mobile and can b somewhere different each day so that should help .Anyone know of a good website where I could download some good river maps.
    cheers graham

  6. #6

    Default River map

    There are a couple of options for you. Probably the best printed map online that I know of is out of the fishing regulations book (link). Once you know the names of the holes, bring up google earth and zoom in on the Kenai. I think your strategy/plans should work well.

    Cheers

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fearnot View Post
    Thanks for the useful info everyone.I think ill buy an outfit for the bank fishing from trustworthys ,his advice should be spot on .WE hope to spend a few days at centennial park to target reds also kings in the evenings .We met a group of Kiwis in 2007 at centennial who fished for kings from the bank and they sounded quite successful I remember there gear was pretty hefty.but cant remember there tactics,I do remember they fished upstream of the boat launch.We will be very mobile and can b somewhere different each day so that should help .Anyone know of a good website where I could download some good river maps.
    cheers graham
    That sounds like a great plan for a lot of fun and success. Just remember, that time frame is the busiest of the year. You may want to book at least one full day salmon and one halibut charter. I would not want to come all the way from Scotland and not experiece at least one of each.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Posts
    409

    Default map

    go buy youre map at the visitor center when you get there. they cost 5 dollars and are large and easy to read. the center is just over the soldotna bridge heading south out of town across from kens tackel.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    83

    Default Thanks again

    Good helpfull info again Thanks guys .The use of a planer board sounds intresting but dont know how to rig it.plunking ??Is that bouncing a led downstreem by lifting and lowring the rod . Cheers Graham.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Dont forget about the kasalof river it is a great place to fish from the bank
    Ive cought lots of kings there.
    I have cought kings from the bank on the kenai they told you right swiftwater bills or centenial campground. another place where ive seen people catch alot of kings from the bank is the collage hole of kbeach road
    if it is still open there.

  11. #11

    Default

    The island above Centennial is a classic spot to try right in town. Expect a few savvy locals to be there too so maybe you will pick up some techniques if you try there.

  12. #12
    Member TYNMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matsuthunder View Post
    Dont forget about the kasalof river it is a great place to fish from the bank
    Ive cought lots of kings there.
    I have cought kings from the bank on the kenai they told you right swiftwater bills or centenial campground. another place where ive seen people catch alot of kings from the bank is the collage hole of kbeach road
    if it is still open there.
    College hole is now closed, but they used line the kings there alot.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Check the regulations - if you are here when the Anchor River, Deep Creek and Ninlichik are open, the bank fishing can be great fun. A lot easier than on the Kenai, smaller fish but a 30 lb King in the harbor at Ninilchik in the 70's is still one of the most memorable fights I have ever had.

  14. #14
    Member TYNMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fearnot View Post
    Hi .Thanks to Everyone who helped us on our Kenai adventure 2007 .tips and advice were spot on and everyone we met were so welcoming.
    We are coming back this year last 2 weeks in July and fancy giving the Kenai kings a go from the bank .I'm thinking of taking my 13 ft saltwater surf caster and multiplier reel to handle long casts big ,baits /lures...casts 4/8.oz.
    What are everyone's thoughts on this setup Any good spots ,tips rigs, Ive also wondered if It is possible to catch kings from the shore/or even buts or anything.
    Thanks in advance. graham
    Ninilchik will still be open for kings as it reopens in July... I recommened catch and release as they are all tomatoe's by then.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Picked up lots of great info on here now thanks to everyone, Graham

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •