Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALASKANA (anything old or antique in Alaska)

Default ALASKANA (anything old or antique in Alaska)

More point and shoots. Here is some Alaskana for you.... All taken within 60 miles of Nome.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Very nice photos!

Default Old Lake Illiamna Barge

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

rusty in Alaska.....

Awesome images guys! Keep'em coming. Neat stuff you just don't see very often.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

An older Yukon River cabin.

Miner's cabin near Jack Wade Junction, AK.

Old stamp mill in Tin City, AK.

Upper Yukon River cabin and barn.

All of these were taken with an older point and shoot. Every time I take my new slr out now I get frustrated that I did not own one back when I spent time exploring these places. Now I have the fancy camera and spend my time and exposures on a beautiful two year old girl. That will have to do until she gets old enough to visit these places with her dad. My wife is convinced that that time is this summer. LOL. I may wait a few more years. I have enjoyed looking at the last couple of threads where people are adding their photos.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Great stuff man. Do tell me, what is the contraption in the third picture. I am curious what it once did. Unique looking for sure.

I'm loving these pictures. I really enjoy everything Alaskana, reading, photos, and so on. By chance, I know this is a lot to ask but does anyone have any before and after pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    By chance, I know this is a lot to ask but does anyone have any before and after pictures?

You mean like this?

ha ha ha I couldn't help myself man. Sorry...

Default Contribution

Some abandoned equipment near Eagle River:

"Yesterday"

Not 'old' but celebrates Alaska's 50th:

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Default Ada boat

A very old boat that used to be a historical sight 23 miles on the north side of Point Hope. This image was created in 1983, It was burnt down by an angry parent in the late 90's, to prevent children from playing there.[sic] ! ??

Old (kinda) cabin on a lake

Wish I had repositioned plant on right side. Not pretty subject matter but still Alaskan history.

Default Bristol Bay Double-enders

Here is an old photo of Bristol Bay salmon fishing boats, note that the first 2 boats are sail-powered and the furthest one away has an exhaust stack. My grandfather told me that back in his youth he was a salmon fisherman in Bristol Bay and used the double-enders with sails to commercial fish. The "conversion" as they were called back then were the first diesel engine powered boats in the fleet. He also said when there was no wind they would use oars and row to the tenders or back to the cannery. He said sometimes they were towed back to the cannery by the tender boats. Strong people with strong backs back then.
    Last edited by Nukalpiaq; 08-02-2009 at 00:46.

Awesome images there with the gravestone and boats. You just can't see this kind of stuff anywhere else. Thanks for sharing these images with us.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    Old (kinda) cabin on a lake

Butte Lake?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast