Thread: Looking for backpack/hunting tent- comments on Nallo 4 GT

Default Looking for backpack/hunting tent- comments on Nallo 4 GT

I am looking to get a light weight back packable tent for my wife and two small kids 3 and 6. I really like the looks of the Nallo 4 GT from Hilleberg. Are there any other good quality light tents that I should consider, or any comments on the Nallo that would be good to know. Plan to use this as a hunting tent for me when not camping with the family.

I think LuJon is your man to talk to on this one. I think he bought a Nallo 4 GT for the same reasons you mentioned. I've been in a 3GT. Awesome tent. Can't go wrong with the Hilleberg.

It sounds like the subject of the hilleberg tent is pretty well covered. I will go ahead and get me one here this spring. The real question is green or red. I am thinking red for ease of finding camp. Any other comments on color choice?

Default Nallo 3 GT

I bought a Nallo 3 GT for sheep hunting last spring from Barney's. I can't remember the exact deal, but around the time of the outdoor show, he had all of that stuff on sale (probably 10% off or so).

I couldn't be happier with mine. I took it on a walk in sheep hunt at the end of the season. It was REALLY cold out (getting down to single digits on a couple of nights). It kept us warm during that cold spell. Then late in the hunt the wind got to HOWLING and she stayed in one place thanks to all of the tie downs that are available and the shape of the tent.

I really liked having the huge vestibule that you can enter/exit from either side (it came in handy when we saw some sheep from the tent one morning). We were able to keep all of our gear inside and dry. We did a little bit of cooking with our jet boil stoves from the vestibule.

The first night we were there we had some pretty bad condensation issues (I had heard about this on this forum before buying the tent), but after I fiddled with the vents and that we didn't have any big problems through the rest of the trip. Also, cooking in the vestibule will make this worse. I found that you could pretty much zero things out by leaving the vents as open as possible and the door between the vestibule and main tent open a bit while out hunting for the day.

I got the red tent for the same reason that you mention. It didn't seem to bother the sheep at all. On one morning we woke up to sheep basically walking past the tent (if only one of them had been a ram!!!!).

To me the selling point was the tent weighs about 5.5 lbs (for the GT 3) and is HUGE. Also it is basically an all season tent.

If you get this the only part of you that will be sad is your wallet.

Also, I can't say enough about the service I got from Bob over at Barney's. He prefers another model (Kaitum I think), but he was very helpful in getting me information, helping to set up a few models in his shop, etc. I ordered the catalog from Hillebergs web page so I could have time to look things over and help me make my decision.

Hope this helps,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    It sounds like the subject of the hilleberg tent is pretty well covered. I will go ahead and get me one here this spring. The real question is green or red. I am thinking red for ease of finding camp. Any other comments on color choice?
    I have the tent and it is my "money is no object tent". The only thing I would change is the color. I have the green because red was out of stock. It is a great tent and you won't be disappointed!