Thread: How many decoys

Default How many decoys

Ok i've secured my land for the upcoming goose season. Grain field along the river. Plan on putting a blind in along the tree line and setting shells out. So how many shells do I need? I've been trying to by them used but seems i'm not having much luck so I'm gonna have to buy new ones which can be spendy.. I was thinking between three and five dozen.
    Any advice would help.

Well, they don't all have to be full body decoys, Carry-lite makes shells that are relatively cheap and stack nicely. There are also sillosocks that are about $80 a dozen depending on where you order them. They hardly take up any space, but I like to mix in some shells and full bodies in the mix. There are also rags that you can throw in there.

My personal mix of decoys has 2 dozen floaters, which I could easily place in a field and are pretty much full bodies, 3 dozen carry-lite shells and 5 dozen sillosocks and it works for me and fits in 3 decoy bags.

Good luck this upcoming season, I'm already re-rigging and organizing gear for next season.

Default I got Deek's

Were you located? I have abut 6-7 shell canada and another 2-3 speckled goose decoys. If possible, we can link up sometime and dig a pit.. the geese would never know what hit them until its too late.

Hoytguy

The number is gonna depend on many different things. If you have birds already coming to the field then may not "need" any. 3 to 5 doz should be plenty though. besides its always cool to look at a nice big spread but i have called in birds with just a couple. Time of year will make a difference too. As far as building your blind... are you sure you wanna be next to the trees. The birds i hunt in minnesota are very weary of treelines. just a thought.

Default Land, decoys and blind placement

I live in Delta Junction, The land i've got permission to hunt has restrictions from owner
    (Just, me, my wife and kid, no guests, no guiding) - part of the deal sorry.. cant risk breaking agreement its taken me awhile to get the hookup. Maybe after I hunt it two or three years and they see i'm responsible i'll see the window to ask to include friends.

Before this I was paying guides who leased property on farms here in Delta, surprisingly blinds on tree lines is pretty common here. Been out four times and three of the four times was like that, the forth was in a blind in the middle of two fields.

I hunted geese in Kentucky once before I knew what I was missing.. they used a pit blind, sunk a sealand in the field and flooded the field.. very cool setup, had benches, stove for breakfast, propane heat, dog boxes, nice.

i'm thinking 3-5 dozen would work too because the fields are along a river and they fly the river moving from field to field for the grain as they migrate out. Owner says they are frequented well.

Default Dozens

I meant to say 6-7 Dozen of Canada deeks and another 2-3 Dozen speckle belly deek's, I grew up hunting in MN also and the geese stayed away form the woods and treelines too. Towards the end of season or after they been shot a few times.. a few standing rows of corn in the middle of the field would rarely work either..

Hoytman

I always figure that you can get by with fewer decoys if they are more realistic (fullbody w/flocked heads etc...). I usually hunt geese on fields here in Wisconsin over 18 full body and 12 shells, all are very realistic and have flocked heads. These decoys cost quite a bit but do make a big difference (especially on educated birds). If birds are feeding on your field, they will come without much decoy pursuasion; if they are not, you will need a lot more decoys to pull them in as they will be have been feeding somewhere else probably close by. I agree with the comment about staying off the treeline but if it works what the heck. We use field blinds (layout) and stay away from edges or anything that stands out. Birds seem less cautious and usually swing downwind and try to land on the outside of the decoy spread without making a pass over. If there are mallards around, put out a few mallard decoys as they decoy great to field spreads and can make for an exciting hunt. Mallards will stick around very late in the season as long as there is food and open water nearby.
    What type of grain fields are in the Delta Junction area?

Default Decoys

If I were in your shoes I would probably invest in as many decoys as I could. The majority of geese up here are pretty much migrators and it can be a numbers game if you want to do well. However, the number of dekes you need to use can depend on whether the birds are using your field or not. If you're on the X then a dozen can be more than enough. However, if you're gunna run traffic geese then the more decoys the better. Since you're limited to one spot I would probably start out with two or three dozen in the beginning of the season (assuming they are using your field) and then step up to everything you got. I would also invest in a flag and a good short reed call as both of these can make the difference in being able to pull geese off of a flight line. Finally, I would use the blind in the woods early in the season until the geese start to wise up, and then move out into the middle of the field with a laydown blind later on in the season.

--Luke

Quote Originally Posted by DaveLuntz View Post
    I live in Delta Junction, The land i've got permission to hunt has restrictions from owner
    (Just, me, my wife and kid, no guests, no guiding) - part of the deal sorry.. cant risk breaking agreement its taken me awhile to get the hookup. Maybe after I hunt it two or three years and they see i'm responsible i'll see the window to ask to include friends.

Before this I was paying guides who leased property on farms here in Delta, surprisingly blinds on tree lines is pretty common here. Been out four times and three of the four times was like that, the forth was in a blind in the middle of two fields.

I hunted geese in Kentucky once before I knew what I was missing.. they used a pit blind, sunk a sealand in the field and flooded the field.. very cool setup, had benches, stove for breakfast, propane heat, dog boxes, nice.

i'm thinking 3-5 dozen would work too because the fields are along a river and they fly the river moving from field to field for the grain as they migrate out. Owner says they are frequented well.

Dave
    Where in Kentucky did you hunt? I grew up hunting geese in Ballard County, which is right on the Mississippi River. Shoot me a Pm if have any more question. I ahve a few answers!

Default How many decoys

Thanks LGraham I like that idea.. sounds like it would work.

Well, i picked up some camo this weekend, still need decoys, but have alot of time before season.. alittle at a time and I should be ready.

Just my thoughts. Geese up here arent very smart (educated on hunting pressure) and dont seem to be all that hard to have decoy in. Shells and FB's seem to be more of a problem up here than a benefit to me. I've used silo's with really good success out here, and in all honesty, I think they are much more visible than shells and FB's. They are easy to carry, pack....and store so get as many as you can afford. I can generally get by with 3 dozen, but we have set out as many at 20 dozen (just because it looks cool). Flag and learn to call. Both are rare up here. These are generally Tavs or lessers so lots of fast calling works best.

Default Dumb Question

Sorry whats a silo? silouet?

Default silouets

Quote Originally Posted by DaveLuntz View Post
    Sorry whats a silo? silouet?

All they are the outline of a goose "feeding or alert " cut out of ply-wood and painted black with white area on face and body or other colors, Here is web sight on how to make some decoys http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=58316

yes, silhouettes. I use the 'Real Geese' silo's. Much easier and lighter than creating your own with plywood. The new ones have non reflective finish on them.