Thread: what to do?

Default what to do?

I've got a stainless Ruger '06 barrel that came off of a 77 Mk II. Its been leaning in the corner of the bedroom for a few years now, and I've started thinking that maybe I ought to do something with it. The problem is, I can't decide what. In the past, I've toyed with the idea of building everything from a 270 Win. to 8mm-06 to 35 Newton (obviously not all using this particular barrel). I'm generally not all that interested in belted magnums, and I don't mind wildcats or "obsolete" cartridges if brass is either available (as Graf and Sons assured my 35 Newton will be) or able to be formed relatively easily from something else. I can always come up with an action, but I'd like to put this barrel to some kind of use. Its just one of those things that nags at me as it sits in the corner year after year. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I've got a stainless Ruger '06 barrel that came off of a 77 Mk II. Its been leaning in the corner of the bedroom for a few years now, and I've started thinking that maybe I ought to do something with it. The problem is, I can't decide what. In the past, I've toyed with the idea of building everything from a 270 Win. to 8mm-06 to 35 Newton (obviously not all using this particular barrel). I'm generally not all that interested in belted magnums, and I don't mind wildcats or "obsolete" cartridges if brass is either available (as Graf and Sons assured my 35 Newton will be) or able to be formed relatively easily from something else. I can always come up with an action, but I'd like to put this barrel to some kind of use. Its just one of those things that nags at me as it sits in the corner year after year. Any suggestions?
    Though belted, I'd sure be inclined to put together a 308 Norma Mag. Just a dandy round that got lost in the shuffle. And it's certainly different enough to make it interesting. Had one years ago (Carl Gustov), and still regret parting with it. Excellent ballistics, and that particular rifle was one of the most accurate 30 mags I've ever seen or shot.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    perhaps you should consider a 30-06 improved. p.o. ackley and his 40 degree shoulder made this round popular for a reason. this is an inexpensive cure that still allows using standard ammunition. mine shows honest 300mag performance with bullets up to 180gr. (3056fps) i chrono in cool weather..pressures may run higher in hot weather. check it out.

happy trails.
    jh

I persoanly wouldn't pay to have any work done to a factory barrel. If I was going to spend the money on smithing I would get a a good custom barrel in the cartridge, length, contour, etc. that you want. There is no comparison betwen a factory produced barrel and a lapped custom.

My recommendation would be to sell your barrel if you can or give it away, and get a custom Llja, Hart, Kreiger, etc.

I agree about the belted magnums. I'm not a fan of belted cases. The Dakotas are some very cool cartridges, 7mm, 300, 330, & 375. The WSM's are pretty good too.

Have fun with your project if you do it,

Cheers,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I persoanly wouldn't pay to have any work done to a factory barrel. If I was going to spend the money on smithing I would get a a good custom barrel in the cartridge, length, contour, etc. that you want. There is no comparison betwen a factory produced barrel and a lapped custom.

My recommendation would be to sell your barrel if you can or give it away, and get a custom Llja, Hart, Kreiger, etc.

I agree about the belted magnums. I'm not a fan of belted cases. The Dakotas are some very cool cartridges, 7mm, 300, 330, & 375. The WSM's are pretty good too.

Have fun with your project if you do it,

Cheers,

Mark
    I made kind of a half-hearted attempt to sell/give away the barrel a couple years ago and didn't have any takers. If I use it for a project, it will be something that I can put together relatively inexpensively and the rifle will simply be a tool, not my "dream gun." I agree with you that normally a custom barrel would be the way to go for a project. My '06 has a Krieger barrel on a Husqvarna action, and I'm very happy with it.

I have thought about the Dakotas in the past, and they may be easier to get brass for than any of the Newtons that I know of.