Thread: Hardwater Heaven!!!

Default Hardwater Heaven!!!

Went out Friday with xcopper99 to "Beer Can Lake" and ran headlong into hardwater heaven! It was only -41 degrees farenheit with wind chill (so much for global warming) but we were having a wonderful time. Needless to say there weren't any other people on this part of the lake. After drilling down about 30" through the ice we set up the house and got the heater fired up...It only took about thirty seconds to start hitting the little ones and the biggest problem was trying to get the jigs down to the bottom of the lake.

Xcopper99 and I were able to put enough lure and powerbait to get down to the bottom and started lacing into the biggest pile of the biggest ***** char that either of us had ever seen or caught. It was SO good we thought that there HAD to be somebody watching us catch this many fish--it just had to be illegal to be this fast and furious!!! The no B.S. part of this fishing trip was that we caught so many of these monster char that we laughed about throwing back fish that were 22-25" long and fat like a big 'ol hog...other people actually PAY to do this!!!

Here are some pictures to share the glory of this wonderful day...and, no, we can't really remember where "Beer Can Lake" is located...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are some very nice fish. Char sure are a good looking fish!

Default And a few more...

This was a char fiesta!!!

Default Very inspiring!

Blood on the ice! Love the pics. Bet they were good eaters too.

Yes, the first pic is a laker. We were surprised to catch a couple of them with all of the dolly and char action. Still chasing that elusive 30"+ lake trout. There's always next weekend at Beer Can Lake !

Default Good Post

Sweet, thanks for sharing....good job!

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Great fishing report. It takes alot to bear the cold and it is worth it when it pays off big. I hope your memories will last!

You really have me thinking about the location. I don't know any laker lakes that would deserve the name "Beer Can Lake". Most are fairly remote and clean. One does have a bit of traveler pollution, but I don't know about the char....... It doesn't mix. It will come to me.... probably about 3 AM and I won't sleep the rest of the night.

I got a new auger and a QwikFish III.

Mike

Default Dirt, et al.

Ummm, to those who were wondering: I didn't know that there really IS a "Beer Can Lake". How's about we just call this place "Hardwater Heaven"! It's clear and deep and oh, so cold!

Yes, the fish were tasty--Xcopper's family and mine were chomping down on fresh, deep fried fish just this evening. Fresh french fries, KFC coleslaw and plenty of ethyl alcohol rounded out the adult servings. That cuts the grease and keep this a healthful entree--ya, right!

Default Wow!

Those pics are simply ridiculous! What awesome looking fish...Man I wish I could have had an extra week back home in Fairbanks before I had to leaveMy next trip home isn't until May or June....perfect time of year! Nice job again on those monsters!

The Sapper

I like how the char are bigger than the lake trout
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Outstanding Ice, Char are fantastic table fare. Beautiful fish. Thanks for the PM on the location BTW, I will not tell the others.

Default Please...

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Thanks for the PM on the location BTW, I will not tell the others.
    ... just put your thumb to your nose and fan your fingers at the rest of us!

Nice looking fish! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Mark

Darned nice looking fish.................

Your posts and others recently are shooting holes all through the theory that low barometric pressure is the best ice fishing.........

Default Low Baro-what?

Ummm...ya mean there's a difference in fishing activity when the barometer is lower but there remains about 25-30" of ice on top of the water? I just figured that the trick was to find about 35-40ft of water where the fish were holding and then try to thread your line down to the bottom before the little ones beat the heck out of the bait! Seemed like every time that we could actually get a line to the bottom, pull it up 12-24" and then wait that there was going to be a big hog hitting the lure. The best part, however, was to have that little teeny rod bent right over the hole and to have that miniature reel just screemin' off line!!! It scared the crap out of us both the first time that we saw this picture...

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Ummm, to those who were wondering: I didn't know that there really IS a "Beer Can Lake". How's about we just call this place "Hardwater Heaven"! It's clear and deep and oh, so cold!

Yes, the fish were tasty--Xcopper's family and mine were chomping down on fresh, deep fried fish just this evening. Fresh french fries, KFC coleslaw and plenty of ethyl alcohol rounded out the adult servings. That cuts the grease and keep this a healthful entree--ya, right!

You got me drooling just thinking about it!!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Ummm...ya mean there's a difference in fishing activity when the barometer is lower but there remains about 25-30" of ice on top of the water? I just figured that the trick was to find about 35-40ft of water where the fish were holding and then try to thread your line down to the bottom before the little ones beat the heck out of the bait!...
    There has been lots of talk about barometric pressure on fishing, but I think you're proving how it needs to be done.

Some of these "theories" do state that the pressure doesn't affect fish as much in deeper water:

http://www.lake-link.com/info/barometric_pressure.cfm

http://www.articlesbase.com/sports-a...de-281202.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/f...icefishing1220

Thumbs up Char --- fresh 2 frozen in 60 seconds

In town we've had some good fishing on stockers... as in 25" Char!

These were all caught in less than 4' of water with a sand/silt/muck bottom on a bait-less 1" pink lead-head hook with a tiny silver spinner blade and a white rubber tail. Just as the daylight started fadin' out to darkness was the timing.

At first I had some fresh fish, nevertheless by the time I reached home they were frozen solid & had to be thawed out in the bathtub.