Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst gear purchase

Default Worst gear purchase

What is the most disappointing gear purchase you have made.

Off the top of my head it would be my Sitka mountain pants. They totally fell apart in less than a season. I ended up buying a cheap set of S/W pants to finish the year.

Default gear

Frogg Toggs come to mind. Blew out in a matter of minutes.

Not built to bust brush.

A Bushnell Trophy scope that I bought back in '95. It fogged up on the inside of the lenses on the very first hunt I took it on, and my only fly-in sheep hunt to date. I would have been very upset if we found legal rams and I wasn't able to shoot.

I just found it packed away in a box the other day. I'm going to send it back, as it has a lifetime warranty, and see if they do better the 2nd time around.

Neoprene chest waders. Sweat like a pig. Miserable for the whole float trip.

Runner up, Seatle Sports collapsible sink/bucket. Trash. Won't stand up when over half full of water. Got the blue LL Bean collapsible bucket and it works like a charm for filtering water. Holds plenty and is made of thicker material that stands without worrying about it tipping over. Packs away good too.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Simmons Scope, lol..

3x9x40 whitetail series, After taking the 30-06 to the range and sighting in I went into the field and found it was defective. I sent it back to the company and found it had a "loose gimble" and never purposely bought a Simmons Scope again!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Never purposely bought a Simmons Scope again!
    Half the people I know in North Carolina have said this

Simmons has made Leupold and Burris a fortune.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

So many things to gripe about but here's my most recent dissapointment.

An Estwing axe.

Total steaming pile.Ergonomically designed for someone whose not human to use and usually bends during use. Not sure who designed this thing but they don't use axes I'm guessing.

I'd throw it away if it wouldn't last darn near forever in a landfill...

Default also...

Like, never buy fishing line at a garage sale...

it might make a good topic of disscussion of things along the same line of; never buy from... or do... because this may be the consequenses for doing so...

Good thread though LuJon... I hope to see some more worst gear listed here.

3x9x40 whitetail series, After taking the 30-06 to the range and sighting in I went into the field and found it was defective. I sent it back to the company and found it had a "loose gimble" and never purposely bought a Simmons Scope again!
    I had the same thing happen with a Simmons scope, since fixed, It has been spot on. Although, I have never (or will never) buy another. I was a poor college student at the time.

Rivers West rain gear. First set I bought leaked, sent them back and received a second set. That set leaked also and they sent a third set. They'd probably leak, but now I won't wear them in heavy rains, just save them for cold weather.

Default rivers west

I scrolled down to be the first to post it but you already beat me to it. Probably good for treestand hunting or something maybe fire starting. Suck for AK. I have been through about 10 different high dollar raincoats and am going back to HH impertec this year. Guess simpler is truly better.

never purposely bought a Simmons Scope again!
    I've had good luck with Simmons. When my previously mentioned Bushnell scope fogged up, I put on a cheap Simmons that I found in my parents shed. I figured it was a temporary fix, but 10 years later it still is on my 30-06 and has never let me down on many hunts. I keep thinking about upgrading, but haven't seen the need.

Hey no doggin' the 3-9 Whitetail!! Got it on my 10/22 (and just because it was stainless and cheap!!) Probably should upgrade....when it breaks...

Default Rivers West Rain Soaked gear

Yup, by far the work gear purchcase. Thought I would be as waterproof as a frog in a pond during the rainy season. (Well, that is what I read anyway.) Waste of $$$. Once wet, stayed wet and then got heavy. Felt like I was stuck inside of a wet sleeping bag made of cotton and cheap feathers. At least the zipper worked for the first three days..............

Default Anything

with BUSHNELL on it is a WASTE of money.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    with BUSHNELL on it is a WASTE of money.
    I have a couple of the Bushnell Elite rifle scopes and they have been really good....

Beyond Clothing’s Cold Play Shock pants.

Hemmed and hawed over the price for a long time, then decided to go for it: they’re supposedly tailor-made and custom pants – you send them measurements and select options, and they make them to your specs.

The pants came back so tight in the crotch and butt, I felt like a Spenard hooker. But worse than that was a goofy drop-seat zipper contraption that I had no use for, and pockets that were way too shallow. The drop seat was not mentioned in any part of their product description.

I didn’t want a new pair of re-fitted pants – I wanted my money back, mainly because the pants had features that weren’t advertised. Beyond Clothing wouldn’t budge: “We guarantee for fit only – no other customer returns.” Not satisfied with the material? – too bad. Don’t like the shallow pockets? – tough luck. Clinking zippers on a goofy drop seat? - take it anyway, buddy.

I figure for 200 bucks I should have been able to get what I wanted, especially from a company that specializes in custom-making clothing. But nope, not in this case. Ugh.

Mark

A pair of 8 x 22 Steiner Predator mini-binocs. While on a boat off the coast of Kauai one side fogged up. It wasn't even raining, nor was it dunked in the ocean.

Bushnell Trophy spotting scope. Purchased as an auction item at an RMEF banquet several years ago. My fault for not doing my homework before making such a purchase. Set it up the next day on my deck, looked through it for 5 minutes and was listing it on Ebay an hour later. It was "ok" on the lowest magnification, but once you turned it up it went downhill fast. I think I could get clearer magnification through a beer bottle. Only plus side being it was a lightweight scope. Got what I paid for it, so no money lost - just a good lesson learned.

i bought a folding saw for a pack in hunt in december......thought it might be kinda handy. tried it out on a november deer hunt (smart) and the blade fell off while opening the brisket.

bet you can guess where it was made..... the brand was coleman. oops!

not so...
    happy trails.
    jh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast