Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a second backpack, capable of....

Default Need a second backpack, capable of....

Hey
    I own a barneys pinacle pack and frame and it is a very good pack.
    I would like another pack though, one that is smaller, for when I head out for 7 or less days.

Needs to be able to carry a heavy load(60-100lbs) and of course be totally reliable, like the barneys is.

Preferably internal.

What size and type of pack do you guys carry for shorter treks into sheep country.

thanks
    Jason

Default pack

For a great internal frame pack that is durable for 7 days or less look at Badlands.... I use them and love it!! the 2200 is probably a tad small but the 4500 would probably work great for you.... Google them and check out their site.

Greg

I like a pack in the 100L range. I use a gregory whitney and I have been very happy with it. There are great packs available from Arctyrex, Osprey, Gregory and otheres. You may want to check out the Eberlestock dragonfly or J104 packs they are pretty impressive though not a light as the mountaineering packs they are highly adaptable and can be converted from 2200" cu to over 7K!. There is also the Kifaru longhunter that has gotten fantastic reveiws. I tried on everything I could get my hands on and found the Gregory to be the most comfortable though not the most expensive. I would also highly suggest that you try them each with a load. REI has been good about allowing you to spend as much time as you need wearing the packs to make up your mind. Good luck!

One of the older Dana Design internals like the terraplane or astralplane would do the trick nicely. Available from time to time on ebay for good prices.

you could also try a smaller bag for your Barney's Freighter frame.

second the smaller pack (hunter?) for your frame rather then spending a lot more for a quality internal frame pack. those companies mentioned above make all good packs, but go with the heaviest duty one each of them makes (ie osprey has a heavy line, don't go with some lighter weight 80 L pack like the Aether that they make. it won't handle hunting loads)

Default packs

If you decide you like the Gregory, I have a Pallisade that is in great shape and is 5500c. I've done four, 7-14 day trips out of it, no blood. I've had as much as 70 lbs but no more. Even has a Kifaru gunbearer mounted to it. I'll sell it to you if interested.
    Last edited by whitepalm; 01-04-2009 at 22:02. Reason: more

? Barney's "Bob Bag" ?

I like my Eberlestock Dragonfly, although I've only had it for a year now. It's a versatile pack designed for hunters. It compresses down to the size of a big day pack, yet can be super expanded for long trips. The shoulder strap padding is thinner than usual yet comfortable, allowing easy shouldering of a rifle, and there's a really handy carring scabbard for your rifle that is built into the pack. During a late August/early September goat hunt on Kodiak, I did a climb from salt to alpine for a four day spike camp. I had it pretty much max'ed out...not sure I could have gotten three more days of food into it...maybe. Check-out Eberlestock's website for more info.

Doc: do you have the spike camp or super spike camp duffel attachment for your dragonfly? they are designed to fit inside the main pocket for small loads but can be zipped to the back to give a lot more space. The simple spike duffel adds 12oz and the super adds about 20oz to the base dragonfly. Both can bee seen on the Eberlestock site.

Kifaru Longhunter.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I've got the super spike camp duffle, and it is a very useful accessory...so is the rain cover.

Default Second what was earlier said....

I own Badlands 2200, 2800, and 4500 internal frame packs. They are nice for what they're designed to do. They comfortably carry a modest amount of gear to/from hunt area. They do not carry heavy loads, particularly animals, well. I've had 80# gear in the Badlands 4500 and suffered through the march but uncomfortably every step of the way.

The Barney's external Frame you've already got should be mated up to a smaller pack bag for your light trips. Then whence you harvest your animal you'll still have the foundation of a Barney's frame to do the work of packing the animal off the mountain.

I'm a fan of Badlands gear but it does not hump heavy offset animals as well as a solid frame pack. The Barney's Extrenal Frame product is the standard by which others are judged. Don't mess with perfection, just downsize the pack bag if you need to go lighter.

Default Badlands Pack

Another vote for Badlands here, I have both the 2200 and the 4500 can't go wrong with either one....

Take a look at mystery ranch,they got what you need....

Default Another vote for badlands!

Used them on my first 4 hunts on Kodiak for deer hunting, great packs. Comfortable, lightweight, fully adjustable. Also a good warranty, one of the straps begin to tear after 8 years so they sent us a new pack.

But now I just got a barney's pack frame for heavier hunting, but for lightweight, the badlands work great and can easily carry 1 - 1 1/2 boned out deer and your gear.

I'll second the Eberlestock. I have the Just One version and it will easily haul more gear than a body wants to carry. Lots of padding and wide range of adjustment to fit and adjust for comfort.

Rifle carry is pretty well out of the way and easy to draw. Big advantage is using it like an expandable daypack on the hunt for hauling meat.

Default Badlands pack

Practical, comfortable, and can still hold some meat.

As Randy mentioned, the warranty and customer service is great if anything ever starts to wear or tear (which any pack will eventually).
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Barney Bag

This might be better in the classifieds, but just never got around to listing, and saw it might be on topic here.

If you decide to get a 2nd Barney's bag, I have one in like new shape, camo cordura, used it for one hunt. I ended up with a larger bag and do not use this one. It is the 2nd one up, not recalling the model name, but it is the simplest model that does have a pocket for spotting scope and rifle carier.

Will
    in Kenai
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I debated quite awhile between an Eberlestock and Badlands. I went with an Eberlestock J104 and have had it for two years now. After wearing it on two different moose hunts this past fall and on a backpack / hunting trip in Hawaii in early December, I'm not 100% satisfied with it. I do like its functionality and the gun scabbard is nice (works great for fly rod tubes). My biggest complain is when loaded down it does not ride up high enough on my back. I cinch the belt and shoulder straps down, but it still rides too low. I think it's just made for a longer torso. The pack is on the heavy side, even when empty. I do carry a rain cover with it just in case of hard rain as I don't want to add anymore weight to the pack than necessary. It tends to ride sticking out away from my back, even when only partially loaded and the contents are cinched tight. Other complaint is I wish it had two vertical cinch straps that were offset along the sides, instead of one down the center. It tends to be in the way if you want to put something large on the shelf. I haven't tried the spike camp duffel attachment yet, and probably won't. By itself, I can haul enough for a 2-3 day hunt. If I were going out longer, I'd opt for something different like a Barney's pack and frame. Next time I'll give the Badlands a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast