Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear that you must not leave behind.

Default Gear that you must not leave behind.

Here is the plans-a 14 day trip....July 18 to Aug 2 in the Kenia area.

A couple of days on the Quartz, A day at Cresent, A Fly in to the upper Russian Lake and a 4 day walkout, A shark charter out of Homer, Then north of Ank to Petes creek and a few road side ventures. We are working on a quick chopper trip to Kodiak If time allows, and we may do a drift on the Kenia, but that is way down the list. Combat fishing is just not our cup of tea. Actually, We get our fill of King salmon out of the great lakes. Yes, they dont run into the 30,40, 50's but honestly, I would take a pass on those fish.

I think I have the flyrods/reels and line vetted out. I think I am squared away with the tippets. Looking at this internary, what would you reccommned for items that I NEED to bring from something as small as TP in a ziplock to the S&W 500 4".

Actaully, I and looking more towards the terminal gear that one should carry for the conditions and where we are going at this time of year. Is there a selection of flies or gear that I NEED for these parts. Is there things that are strongly reccomened from the locals that fish these waters.

Now, Please don't lump my into that catogory of the Ovis or Cabellas fisherman. I am not a purest, Just a guy that loves to fish. Actually flyfishing is not my first love.But this trip it is the focus. My life achievement is to fish in every state and AK is coming up on that list.

Sorry that I digress, I guess what i am looking for is what do you carry in your fly bag or vest for these parts.

Mark

Bead Head princess nymphs
    A few other varietys of bead head flys (they work well for grayling and trout for me)
    Purple Egg sucking leach's
    Single beads with single hooks (check the regs for what is legal)
    A few coho flies just in case for reds
    Single egg patterns as in glow bugs not beads
    1 bag of small split shots

If fishing trout pick up a spool of 10lb mono. If you loose your tippets it makes a good back up leader

Im sure you will get a load of other suggestions these are ones I use around the russian/kenai/crescent/and valley streams
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

baby wipes.

You can wipe everything from your hands to your feet and all parts in between with these things.

A must-have if there ever was one.

Wear a good thick belt for the 500. I have one and once I got a real gun belt (Desanti) it was a hundred times more comfortable. Before it would slip down a bit on my hip as the breathable waders material offered little resistance to it sliding.

Be sure to bring an extra nail knot tool and pair of nippers.

Get the small (travel size) Bounty rolls from Walmart. Don't get the Cottonelle tp. One or two sheets of Bounty is better and a roll goes much further.

Bring good needle nose for releasing fish. The hemostats are cute, but work poorly in many cases

Get a few bags of cheap split shots in perhaps two different sizes.

Bottle of hand sanitizer.

Good polarized sunglasses with a hard case to throw in your backpack.

Don't bring any new clothes/waders/boots. Be sure to wear/wash anything you are bringing a few times at home first.

Buy your flies when you get there. Troutfitters.

Camera

Read up on photographing fish before you come. You will want some pics to show off to your buddies back home. Why not do it right? Be sure the sun is facing the person holding the fish. Take sunglasses off. Use fill flash on the camera even if the sun is bright as this will get rid of the shadow under the bill of the cap. Kneel down near the water with the fish, but have the other person (with camera) kneel down as well so you have some water/trees/sky in the background. If they are standing, you will only have water in the background. Boring! Have one picture taken that fills the viewfinder with you and the fish. All to often, fish images are not zoomed in enough. End result, some guy standing there holding a small fish that no detail can be seen in. Nobody wants to see a small fish. Also, the sun shining on the fish will add detail with this "close up" frame filling shot. These things sound simple but make a huge difference in the images. Look at some flyfishing covers and you will see what I mean. Off on a bit of a tangent, but I am sure this is an important trip for you. Document it accordingly.

That reminds me, take a small notepad and two pens and keep in a zip lock in your back pack. Write down areas of interest. Mark on maps. Document gps locations of spots you would like to revisit. Keep business cards of guides/motels/restaurants you want to revisit. If you don't like the motel/B&B/etc.. find a nicer one while on the Kenai for next time and write it down. Plan ahead to make your next trip better/easier. You will be back.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default nail knot tool

I agree with Dan, if you use a knot tying tool, I would suggest bringing an extra. I always carry an extra knot tool, nippers, pliers, and small set of dykes to cut toothpicks when fishing with beads. I carry most of my tools like these attached to the outside of my fishing pack, and it sucks to notice one has fell off sometime along the hike. It seems like I loose the nippers the most, so I carry two extras in my backpack.
    My wife bought me a waterproof digital camera last year, and now I don't ever fish without it. It is a Pentax Optio W60, completely waterproof down to 13 feet I think, and takes really good pictures. The trout in my avatar was taken with that camera out of my float tube. I probably looked like an idiot holding my fly rod as high as I could with one hand, trying to get the fish close enough for the picture, and holding the camera underwater with my other hand, kind of guessing where to aim it.
    I also carry a spare set of polarized glasses in my backpack, I have don't a few pairs down to the bottom, and it is usually first thing in the morning. One pair is darker than the other too, so if it is overcast, I wear the lighter ones, and on the rare sunny days up here, I user the darker ones.

Jake

First and foremost, you must spell and call it Kenai (kee-nye) or we'll run you off. J/K

Even in Cooper Landing (the town around Quartz Creek & Crescent Lake) there are several good gear sheds that will provide all the local fishing gear you forget. The folks in those shops will gladly tell you what is working recently.

Not being a fly-guy, I won't speak to the specific fly fishing stuff. But do remember that you'll be in the heart of brown bear country and at the start of the heaviest bear encounter season. So you NEED to have noise makers (e.g. bells) and it is highly suggested to carry bear spray (purpose built pepper spray) in a readily accessible spot on your person at all times. This is in addition to the big bore firearm. Be alert for bears and give them plenty of room. The "combat" fishing you refer to actually takes place just southwest of Cooper Landing where the Russian River runs into the Kenai River. This is a bear hot spot and is just a few miles from Quartz & Crescent. Of course Russian Lake is just as heavy on bear traffic.

As for drifting the Kenai, I wouldn't scratch that due to the mistake of thinking it will be "combat fishing". As stated, it is the Russian bank fishing that gets that, then a little bit down on the lower Kenai River between Soldotna and the Cook Inlet (Kenai). The upper river is still a pretty quiet place with plenty of drift opportunities. They also shut fishing from motor boats on certain days, so the lower river becomes drift only.

For late July and into the beginning of August, kings will no longer be the targeted fish for the most part (there are still going to be some out there, of course). This is the time when the reds are rolling in strong. Too early for silvers, though.

Speaking of which, check the regs very closely for gear restrictions. July 31 marks a regulation change date so you'll have to fish under different rules on August 1st. I know you're doing flies, but make sure you pay attention to bait and number of point on hook restrictions.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Talking

Platinum card (Visa, MC, Amer Ex, whatever). With that, you're gtg!!
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Default Notes on my list...

1. Small tripod - for an occasional group shot. On small streams, like Quartz Ck, a tripod could mean a photo with a great fish when your buddies are scattered up/downstream and too far away.

2. Hook sharpener - Stream rocks are hard on hook tips. I actually carry and use a small hook sharpener for most flies. If fishing beads, I just change the hook.

3. Ample travel time - esp suboptimal weather. I don't like to rush my trips, but your situation is different. As you cover the distances between Anc, Kenai, Homer, Peters Ck +/- Kodiak, just be careful.

Have a great trip.

flesh flies
    egg patterns/beads
    bead head prince, p-tail, hare's ear
    natural colored wooly buggers (brown, black, olive)
    small selection of standard dry flies for the lakes and clear water creeks
    a camera
    polarized sunglasses
    regulation booklet (each water has specific regs)
    natural colored wooly buggers (brown, black, olive)
    lots of split shot
    a spool of 8-10 lb test
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I really like the photo suggestions.

I understand all the flies and patterns except for 2. Beads and flesh flies. Are the flesh flies actually what we might ref as being yarn flies? As far as the beads....is this the colored hot glue flies or actual 5mm-10mm beads? If beads, can you point to where I might learn to rig them?

And yes--- it is Kenai.... I was a just little too quick with the fingers.

Thanks guys for all the great suggestion. There were a several that I never thought about.

Mark

Beads are 6mm to 8mm beads. Pick them up at trout fitters. Peg them 2 inches above your hook when drifing them for trout. flesh fly is what is says. It looks like a chunk of flesh heading down the river. Troutfitters and kenai cache in cooper landing have plenty of both at good prices

I take a picture of a bead setup for you this evening when i get home and post it here for you

Also I like articulating flesh flies and I have them at home and will take pics of them too for you

Default Bug Dope

Don't forget that, I've been on a trip without it and my neck and arms paid for it by the end of the day....
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by growden1 View Post
    Don't forget that, I've been on a trip without it and my neck and arms paid for it by the end of the day....

Great point. I always forget to tell people that due to the fact I have a can in the pack. 1 in the truck, 2 in the boat, a couple in the camper and 1 in the fishing vest.

Oh and if you enjoy a nip or two or an adult beverage you cannot forget that for sure

Default First Off

Get out of Coleman way to many cow patty's for a Michigan town seriously what's up with all the cows? Sorry had to go there some bad action in the late 70's.

To be honest and I hope I am not a llittle off subject but your basic fishing on the Russain, and other creeks mentioned will not be to far off from your standard fishing in your own local area i.e Baldwin area or Grayling so if you fly fish there most of what your going to do on the Upper Russain will be darn similar i.e. 9ft 5 Weight trout fishing on a medium size stream. Same goes with Quartz and Cresent and if your lake fishing the gear should be close to boot.

Suggest you purchase a good bead box i.e. one side has beads the other hooks and stops I like the rubber rubberstops that are available, but a lot of people use T-Picks. The rubber ones are less work IMO........ and do not leave edges.

I would also suggest you purchase a couple of nice floating foam fly boxes keeps your weight down, they fit into places a standard fly box will not and (THEY) Float!

If you have a Chest Pack verses a vest I would bring it as well easier on the back Orvis is selling one as I type for 20 bucks off. Took years to convert will not go back to having a vest......my neck and shoulders now love me!

Weights - your going to be fishing all types of water and depth so istead of loading shot when required you might be better off having 4 sizes of splits from micro, small, med, and large and sorry to say if your not snagging the bottom some of the time you aint't fishing.

All that planning and all the work you should ensure you are able to fish at the correct depth at all times.

Camping - I know it is not a fishing related subject but your walking out so yoru camping: 3 season tent is a most for summer conditions anything less and you might be waking up in water. Ensure you have a good water filtration system you will be pumping water for at least 2 days if your camping three nights. Rain Gear!!!!!!! Purchase GOOD Rain Gear!

Mark's fly list is spot on I would add to it Weighted Buggers with bead or cone heads as well.

Best of Luck on your trip! Tight Lines!

Blue Moose

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    baby wipes.

You can wipe everything from your hands to your feet and all parts in between with these things.

A must-have if there ever was one.
    Possibly G_Smolts most helpful post on this site

Also that time period I'll be fishing nothing but dry flies if that helps any.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post

I agree with Dan, if you use a knot tying tool, I would suggest bringing an extra.

My wife bought me a waterproof digital camera last year, and now I don't ever fish without it. It is a Pentax Optio W60, completely waterproof down to 13 feet I think, and takes really good pictures.

Jake

I agree with the part where you agree with me

Seriously, the camera you mention, awesome. I got the W30 and love it. Made to throw in a fly vest or wader pocket. So nice to not worry about it getting wet. And I have seen some amazing underwater shots with it. Perfect fishing camera. B&H Photo/Video website is a good place to buy from.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

sorry to get off topic.... but tell me more about the pentax w30. Is the video it takes of fairly high quality for a dig cam? The pictures as well? I'm thinking of getting one and haven't found anyone with first hand experience with them until now. Any info would be awesome
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default W60 video

Mark, I have not tried any video with my camera yet, but pictures, both under and above water, are excellent.

Jake

My Gosh---

many suggestions. The baby wipes is a GREAT one. Blue, I live in Coloma, Coleman is a whole different country in Michigan.......J/K

The Bug dope is another one that never crossed my mine. I assume that the bugs are bad that time of year, or could be? should I have a bug net?

Yes we are backpacking for 4 days....Actually I plan on going very light weight....to the point that the tent is a lux...I plan to just take a 12x12 tarp and a ground pad. I have been down this road in the past, and did quite OK. It is only 4 days, a tarp is only in case of rain. Other then that, I am just a comfortable without a tent. Furthermore, I am actually thing about ditching the sleeping bag in favor of a sleeping shell. We are talking about 3 nights, in the middle of July. Layered right, I think that is doable. little crazy, yep. but then again, we ar only taking about 3 nights and AI want to enjoy my self on the river, not lug 70 lbs.

Blue, I have a chest pack and I am seriously considering that for these 4 days leaving the vest back. I am still torn on that idea. It plays right in to the comfort issue with teh pack on the back.

The plyers I never thought of...great idea.
    6X, you are spot on the time frame. We built in a +1 -1 day on either side of all the excursions dependent on weather.

Thanks every one for the GREAT suggestions....

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast