Thread: Your thoughts on a .270 for sheep/goat?

Default Your thoughts on a .270 for sheep/goat?

Whats your thoughts on this caliber for the mountain critters? Any particular bullet weight/style?

Jack O'Conner seemed to think it was just dandy for that purpose. He even had the bbl cut down on his m70 to save weight so I dont think velocity is an issue.

I went with a Tikka T3 in 270 WSM and I really like it. I just yanked the scope off it or I would let you put a couple down the tube. I am planning on going to a a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 on it so I put the Leupy on my new varmint popper. I carried 140grn Accubonds on my sheep hunt this year cant speak to their effectiveness yet since all they were was extra weight on this last trip. They group well out of my rifle though.

Default 270

Ive never been a 270 fan for the north country, ive packed a few moose to far after a hunter has used a 270. that being said this year i had a guy with a 270 wsm. he killed a wolf at 250 yrds a grizzly at 60 and a big bull moose at 140. all with one shot each! very impressive. he was useing barnes bullets, so yea go for it!!

Curt, that's a can't-lose chambering. As good as anything else in a light mountain rifle, for sure.

For sheep/goat bullets, I'd bet you could use about anything from 130 grains and heavier. The cheapo cup and core bullets will work fine, as they've likely been designed to handle the velocity capabilities of the 270 (versus the huge range of velocities in 30-caliber, for example, where one needs to be a bit more choosy in bullet selection if shooting a magnum). If you must shoot something expensive, the barnes tsx and nosler accubonds or partitions spring to mind.

If you reload, I'd start with a standard flat-base 130 grain from hornady or sierra. I'd wager they'd shoot well, and knock the snot out of a sheep or goat. Ballistic difference between a flatbase and boattail is negligible out to however far you're likely to shoot, in my opinion. If you must have a boattail, you'll want an accubond, as I don't think the standard cup/core boattails hold up as well as flat base bullets.

For factory ammo, it's a matter of finding whatever shoots well in your rifle, in a bullet weight 130 grains or heavier.

If you move on to bigger stuff, or you want to shoot your sheep or goat stern-first, you'll want a tougher bullet. That's where you use the 150-grain partition or the lighter TSX.

270W for mountain game...I think it has already passed the test of time. For sheep and goats, 130 is prob more than adequate, just depends what your gun shoots best.

The 270 Win is good, the 270 WSM is better (7mmRM equivilant ballistically).

Bullets, 130 E-Tip, 130 TTSX, 130 & 140 TSX, 140 Accubond, 130, 140 & 150 A-Frame, 150 Partition.

I like the 270, but I think it depends on where you're going hunting. My "X-FACTOR" has to do with whether or not I anticipate bears in the area I'm hunting.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

For sure, which is exactly why I said, "for sheep and goats". I think anywhere in Alaska one should always anticipate the possibility of bears which is why when I hunt sheep or goats I use something significantly more potent than a 270......to cover the "bear factor". In my experience, appropriate anticipation is much more likely to yield a good outcome than regret.

Good info guys. Yeah, I need to get the scope mounted and take it to the range for a test trial. I bought some factory 140gr Accubonds for it to see how they would work, after taking the goat this past fall with the Barns TSX, I don't think I will using them any more. The TSX REALLY! Tore some stuff up! Maybe on a larger game like bear or moose but, goats and sheep? Not no more.

I have killed numerous sheep, caribou, and moose with my 270. I have hit sheep at better than 400 yards. One drawback to the rifle is the knockdown power of the cartridge. I came off of a mountain sheephunting with 130 corelok bullets (cheep I know but I have a lot of em) and came upon a 60 inch moose about 100 feet from me. I punched him in the neck down he went, closer I went to finish him off. Up he came and long story short I shot from the hip and thought I was on an African Safari. The moose died about 10 feet from me. I have upgraded to a 300 win mag due to the similar ballistics and significantly more stopping power. The short mags and ultra mags fly a little to fast for my taste. I have seen the bullets completely fragment in animals due to speed. Just my 2 cents.

Default Use it

The 270 will work fine with any of the bullets mentioned above. Just find out which load your particular 270 is most accurate with and use that one.