Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old grumman freighter

Default Old grumman freighter

I just drove 3000 miles to purchase an old Grumman canoe for $300 from an estate. Apparently this was the original owner. It has an oval plate on the bow with the numbers 1216-G-19S. Here are my questions!
    1. Can anyone give me specifics on a manufacturing date? Grumman tells me the G series was sometime in the sixties?
    2. What is the S designation?
    3. The front floatation section "kick plate" has flathead screws all the way around the circumference of the canoe so that it can be removed. Why did they put them in the front and not the rear? Also, does this give anyone a clue as to the age of the canoe?
    4. The canoe came with an old 4hp Johnson "anglematic". The prop is angled down about 25 to 30 degrees. Any idea why this outboard was mated with this canoe?
    5. I've got an old 1952 KE-4 7.5 hp Mercury I was going use......any idea what the hp rating of this boat is?
    Thanks for your help and Happy New Year to all of you!

I would contact grumman about the specifics on canoe( most likely to get the correct information ).As far as the motor goes what you have is a WEEDLESS model outboard that as I understand works well for what it was designed for .But I don't know of the performance in comparison to a STANDARD lower unit

Default Grumman

it will all depends on who you talk to on motor size, but as for the angle it was set at that degree so it could bounce over the rocks/ logs or any thing else it hit. if you use it as is you will find out the motor hangs down from the botton a long way, what ever motor you use, it should have a slip cluch in it [no sheer pin in the prop] what you can do to improve the operation of the canoe is put a block of wood on the transom to raze it up so the cav. plate is even with the bottom of canoe it will help a lot an not cost much to do it, an then trim it off to get the best operation, you will also need a tiller handle extenuation it will help on long trips don't have to turn the back as much

Default What Year ?

It sounds like the plate you mention is a model # plate.
    Look at the stern at the right rear outside corner for a serial #.
    On boats the last two didgits will give the year in most cases.

Default curious

Just wondering what would prompt someone to drive 3000 miles for a canoe? heck the trip must have cost you 800 dollars.

Default 3,000 miles for canoe

I would do it for a piece of pie.
    I love to travel, do road trips etc. One time I drove from Wyoming to Tucson just to buy a copper kettle for making candy.
    It was just an excuse to go on a road trip..
    It amazes me how many of us here in Alaska, will drive to and from the lower 48, and do it in like 3 days or so,, not stopping, not looking around, just driving non stop, just stopping for gas, and picking up some food to eat in the car...
    To some its the destination, to others its the trip.
    That would be my reason to drive 3,000 miles for a piece of pie..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default MAX

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    I would do it for a piece of pie.
    I love to travel, do road trips etc. One time I drove from Wyoming to Tucson just to buy a copper kettle for making candy.
    It was just an excuse to go on a road trip..
    It amazes me how many of us here in Alaska, will drive to and from the lower 48, and do it in like 3 days or so,, not stopping, not looking around, just driving non stop, just stopping for gas, and picking up some food to eat in the car...
    To some its the destination, to others its the trip.
    That would be my reason to drive 3,000 miles for a piece of pie..
    Max
    The wife just made a fresh pecan pie; want a piece ? It's in Dallas !! LOL
    I do road trips too, sometimes just to get away from the house for a week or so.
    Enjoy your canoe !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 3000 Mile Trip

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering what would prompt someone to drive 3000 miles for a canoe? heck the trip must have cost you 800 dollars.
    That run from Wyoming to Tucson is nice country, Southern to Northern Rockies. I've drove out there from Missouri just to sight see on vacation several times. Just to be there. And with a piece of sporting goods at the turn around point that you can bring home would be an added bonus.

Hey thanks for the info. I had contacted Grumman and they weren't that forthcoming with information with the exception that it was a sixties series because of the G in the model #. It makes sense now that you say the motor is a weedless model. I thought they were trying to keep the bow down for some reason.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to raze it approx 1-2 inches to place that cavitation plate right at the bottom. Any idea how old the boat is?

I checked out the right rear of the canoe for a serial # with no luck. Does that tell you anything more about it's age? Wondering if early on they didn't come with serial #'s or is it the other way around?

Yah, I like road trips as well and gas is super cheap right now so it made it worth while. The bad part is I had to drive through SoCal on New years Day. Crazy drivers in that part of the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by edfish View Post
    I would contact grumman about the specifics on canoe( most likely to get the correct information ).As far as the motor goes what you have is a WEEDLESS model outboard that as I understand works well for what it was designed for .But I don't know of the performance in comparison to a STANDARD lower unit

I called Grumman and they figured the canoe was built somewhere between 1961 & 1963.

Default The Canoe is too old

I called Grumman and they figured the canoe was built somewhere between 1961 & 1963.

You need to take it back..........

I guess anouther road trip is in order....

Max

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default I...

Max
    ... will take that piece of aluminum off your hands if you deliver it to me. I won't even charge you to dispose of it.

Default Sayak, you going to

try and dispose of it in a lake or river I suppose?

will take that piece of aluminum off your hands if you deliver it to me. I won't even charge you to dispose of it.
    My bet is it won't sink right away, so you will load it full of women and children, camping and fishing gear, if that won't drown it, you will try to find a moose to put in it. It may take several trips to dispose of it.......
    How close am I to your plan?

Default Close...

try and dispose of it in a lake or river I suppose?

My bet is it won't sink right away, so you will load it full of women and children, camping and fishing gear, if that won't drown it, you will try to find a moose to put in it. It may take several trips to dispose of it.......
    How close am I to your plan?
    ... but just one woman. My wife won't permit me another.

Default Ole man's ole freighter

Max
    Do you remember the old hunting/fishing decals you'd see on ole grandpa's campers in the sixties??? Well this ole grumman has them plastered front and rear. A buck, black bear, baby black bear, and a trout jumping out of the water......you gotta love it huh?

Quote Originally Posted by bmerge View Post
    Do you remember the old hunting/fishing decals you'd see on ole grandpa's campers in the sixties??? Well this ole grumman has them plastered front and rear. A buck, black bear, baby black bear, and a trout jumping out of the water......you gotta love it huh?
    LMAO... I have a 1971 motor home I bought from an old fellow, it has the very same stickers on it! What a "sportsmans dream package" that would be with your canoe on top of my old motor home! TIME WARP!!!!!!!!

Default Oh yeah

LMAO... I have a 1971 motor home I bought from an old fellow, it has the very same stickers on it! What a "sportsmans dream package" that would be with your canoe on top of my old motor home! TIME WARP!!!!!!!!
    Those old stickers were the greatest..
    I had an old Caveman camper that had the rainbow sticker just to the right on the back door..
    I miss those times back in the late 60's and 70,s so much..
    We actually had pretty good equipment back then,, we had a 1966 dodge with 4x4, and we had what is called a ToteGote It was run off a 7 hp briggs and stratton engine and could go down about any trail... We had a 14 foot aluminum boat and a 5 hp montgomery wards motor....
    we were some hooked up Motor scooters for sure...
    Ahhhhhh the memories..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast