Thread: Mike's Welding in Sterling

Default Mike's Welding in Sterling

They were recommended for putting a hard top on my jet boat.
    Does anyone endorse or have experience with them?
    You can send a P.M. if you think that's appropriate.
    Thanks if you can.

Default Mike's

He does fine work, and will stand by it.
    Any problems, he fixes.
    Not sure how expensive he is, compared to others, but i have all my aluminum welding done by him.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Mike's a good guy but he generally doesn't do boatwork during the summer months; too busy making custom dipnets, docks, cleaning tables, etc. I'd recommend calling or better yet, stopping buy to meet him in person and making arrangements ASAP if you want the work done. I had him put in a splashwell for a Almar we had; he did a great job, and did some extra stuff/touches I didn't even think of (re-routing control cables, hoses, etc). You should see the boat he built for himself. I like stopping by just to see the stuff they're working on. Another friend of mine is having them put a hardtop on his boat too.
    Jim

Mike is good. But don't forget about Vanweld in the valley. I don't know if they take small stuff anymore, but they make an extremely high quality product.

Default Does great work

I had him make two 4-wheeler trailers for set netting some years ago. Quality job; reasonable price. I recommend him highly.

I have not used him but hunting partner does and always good comments about him from multiple people.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Mike is top notch. A real craftsman!!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Mike is top notch. A real craftsman!!
    DOUBLE THAT!
    besides being a craftsman and artist, one heck of a nice guy, even if he is a cheese head! Dont get him talking about pike fishing or it will be all day!

Mike does great work! I have a cabin just down the street from him in Sterling and he has done a lot of misc. welding for me and my family. Would highly recommend him. Also, he built one heck of a boat for himself so I am sure he is overly qualified.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Well thank you so much for all the information. It sounds like he's a real craftsman and a wonderful welder. Unfortunately I called him and he doesn't want to do it. He said he just doesn't make enough on boats so he won't do it. In the past he has always underbid and when it's over he ends up with no profit. Anyway now I'm looking around for someone else. He referred me to someone else and I'll check them out.

Default Thats Mike..

He is that way sometimes,, and don't think for a minute he is not a decent and honest outfit. He is a worker bee and very creative. that is sometimes his downfall. He goes the extra mile on custom jobs, because he is always looking at making things work just a little better...
    I have had Mike tell me the same thing.. ( can't do it Max ) and then I have gone and had someone give me a bid on the project... came back to Mike and said..
    " Here is a bid Mike. I will pay you a few bucks more to do it."
    he may bite....
    I did this with a smoker I built.. I just kept after him, and pay him what it takes for him to make it worth his time. I just told him last time, you have an hourly rate Mike, I trust you and lets just do the job and I pay you what the hours and materials work out too..... Mike is not lazy, and when he works an hour, its an hour well spent.. his Helper is the same way..
    I think in the past, some have taken advantage of him, and he has realized that at the end of the day, he is in business and not just helping out a friend..
    I get all of my aluminum welding etc. for my rafts done at Mikes, and when he figures up the price of what ever he has done for me, I always give him a bonus.
    When I walk in the door Mike is not worried that he will not come out ahead. I make sure.
    But.. There are lots of other outfits that do good work too..

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com