Thread: Dipping from a raft?

Question Dipping from a raft?

Last year i ran into a few guys at the gas station in Glenallen who were going dipnetting on the Copper River in a raft. Im not sure how long it was but i they had a motor on it. I think it was a 40 horse?.. I asked the guy if he was nuts ; he proceeded to tell me he has done it some 25 times.
    Well low and behold i saw him from the bank and it seemed like a pretty smooth operation. The rafts (saw a few of them) would drift just like the other boats and would make it up the river just as fast or faster than the big metal boats.
    I am wondering if anyone on the AOF has done this or knows anyone who does. Im just curious as to what kind of raft it is and what kind of motor set up you use. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Default Dipnetting from a raft...

I've dipnetted the Copper River (Chitina) with my dad from his 14ft. Zodiac for quite some time now (going on 15 years). He had a 35 horse Tohatsu motor on the back with a center steering console, which I believe he replaced with a 40 horse Tohatsu this last year. The ride back up river is the worst with two to three adults and a cooler of fish (it can be a cold, slow, wet ride even in good weather). All in all, if you respect the river and know what your doing, its not so bad and very economical (usually use less than five gallons of gas to go down into the canyon and back from the bridge).

Quote Originally Posted by dakin120 View Post
    I've dipnetted the Copper River (Chitina) with my dad from his 14ft. Zodiac for quite some time now (going on 15 years). He had a 35 horse Tohatsu motor on the back with a center steering console, which I believe he replaced with a 40 horse Tohatsu this last year. The ride back up river is the worst with two to three adults and a cooler of fish (it can be a cold, slow, wet ride even in good weather). All in all, if you respect the river and know what your doing, its not so bad and very economical (usually use less than five gallons of gas to go down into the canyon and back from the bridge).
    Is it safe to assume (for lack of better words) that a bigger motor, say a 40-50 horse would do better? or would it just add too much weight?

Default That makes me Remember

I was dipnetting down there in the canyon once and I saw a three guys in a raft trying to make it back up the river. I remember watching his first attempt and he couldn't make it because he was weighed down too much. He went back down, dropped off one guy and tried again, still couldn't make it. Went back down, dropped off the last guy and was able to make it up, he must have had all the gear and fish. Anyway, I remember them having to make 3 or 4 trips down and back to get all the gear and three dipnetters. I remember thinking that those guys were S.O.L. when I saw their first attempt after watching them have the motor wide open and them not going anywhere. When they finally made it up the river, the guy was using the back eddies kinda like a lauching place to hit the main current, kinda scary in my opinion. They made it, and I'm sure they went home with their coolers full. I think he had a 40 horse motor on there, and looked like about a 16 ft raft. I personally would never do that, but it's definently doable. I wish I had gotten video footage of that.

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default growden 1

Now that you mention that, it does seem familiar. I remember thinking oh crap those guys are in for it. Im glad they got up though. I guess the lesson learned is shutttle shuttle shuttle! I still remember a guy who made it up relatively easy. Anyhow since the trail going back is all but destroyed, im starting to look at other options. So as much as i hate to do it.... I made need to get a boat!! WHOOOOHOO!!! Oh wait i mean.. dang it.

I know several folks who dip from zodiacs. The trick is to keep it to 2 people in the boat. You can take more than two, and drop off on shore. Traveling back, don't carry too much. You can make some walk out or make another trip. Two biologists at F&G in Fairbanks dip this way. Talk Cal Skaugstad or Tim Viavant. They are very helpful F&G employees.